• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are there any dangers when downloading clipart and graphics from other websites?

klombar

Old timer
Even before the new boards came about and more now that we can do some much I've been doing alot of searches on the net and downloading clipart and pictures from sites I've never visited before. Are the dangers I should look for when doing this? I don't want to download something that can hurt my computer or allow someone access in. I know there is only so much you can prevent but I was hoping to get some advice from the great Tech gods in the sky.

Really you guys and gals are outstanding! You always have help even for us computer challaged. Thank you

The answer is yes, but it would be unlikely to get one that way.

You can get a virus any time you download something, receive an email, or insert an unknown disk into your computer. You should have anti-virus protection software on your computer. You can go to www.download.com and download a free trial. Many people recommend Norton Anti-virus. I downloaded a free trial from their website.

The picture formats of which I'm aware can't carry viruses. I've not heard of any types of viruses that can get in that way.

You always need to be careful of any programs that you download and scan them for viruses before running them. I suggest to everyone to keep and up to date version of some form of virus scanning software. It is key to keep it up to date as so many new viruses appear out there so quickly.

Always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to viruses. Keep scanning often and if you can get some software that scans on a regular scheduled basis and also scans downloads as they come in.

Bob

flowerface.GIF
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=navy>Just a side note to that.

When looking for clippies to download, be sure to make sure that the webmaster of that site has given permission. Some do not want their clipart to be on any other site without their knowledge or permission, and it's always a good idea to respect that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter