Are there any old family superstitions that you still observe?

Chuck S

DVC Co-Moderator
Super Moderator
Evidently, during the Great Depression, before my time, a Fortune Teller was going door to door giving readings in exchange for food and basic necessities.

Anyway, my Grandmother gave her a couple of sandwiches, and the fortune teller told her that her home would be filled with happiness (it was) as long as she never washed clothes on a Friday. A superstition that I still observe today, even though I moved from California 45 years ago.

Last edited:
We follow the Greek tradition of baking a coin in the bread on New Years to bring luck for the New Year. Over the years, we have taken some liberties with it such as using cake instead of the traditional sweet bread because, frankly, I can't bake bread. We also do our on Christmas day rather than midnight. Whoever finds the coin gets the luck.

There is a Chinese superstation that you should never sweep out your house on New Years day because you will sweep the good luck out. I am extra cautious so I don't sweep at all, all year, just in case 🤣

My Irish grandmother used to say "never put shoes on the table" and "never place a loaf of bread on the table upside down". Lots of table rules, lol.

Supposedly, shoes on the table means death (??). Not sure about the bread.

For some strange reason, I honor these old superstitions. Maybe it just reminds me of her.

Last edited:
I have heard no money on the table.

If you are going to gift a wallet - put money in it.

If you gifting a knife/knives set, give money with it also (even if it's a dime).

If you drop oil, bad luck

I have heard urinate outside for NYE

Make lentils for NYE

Purse should not touch the floor,

The list goes on and on. Some interesting ones for sure.

As much as I try not to think about them, I don't like the bread upside down on the table - just a little OCD and needs to be put down properly. Definitely no shoes on the table....superstitious? Don't like them on the table?

I’ve heard of the no knives gift without money before and I’ll add 3 more I’ve heard…
My very Italian grandmother used to say if you dream about raw meat or black birds, somebody close is gunna die…and also to never give anyone you love yellow roses as that is a symbol of death…

If someone asks you for any type of pin-sewing needle, safety pin, etc never hand it to them, but pin it to their clothes and let them retrieve it. If not, you'll feel pain.

I've heard of the don't put shoes on the table, but in my family, it's only new shoes.

In my family, one of my great-aunts was named Cecelia. She died from Diptheria at age four in 1926. One of her sisters, who became my grandmother, had a baby girl in 1956 and named her Cecelia after her late sister. This second Cecelia died at 6 months old from an infection caused by a bad case of Impetigo. When I was born, my mother wanted to name me Cecelia after her late sister who was the baby who passed. My grandmother begged her not to, saying that name was cursed for my family. No more Cecelias.

In my family, one of my great-aunts was named Cecelia. She died from Diptheria at age four in 1926. One of her sisters, who became my grandmother, had a baby girl in 1956 and named her Cecelia after her late sister. This second Cecelia died at 6 months old from an infection caused by a bad case of Impetigo. When I was born, my mother wanted to name me Cecelia after her late sister who was the baby who passed. My grandmother begged her not to, saying that name was cursed for my family. No more Cecelias.
We had a similar "cursed" name. My grandmother's brother John died as a young child. Her son John died from cancer in his teens. But I now have two cousins on that side named John who have successfully made it to adulthood, so it looks like we broke the curse.

No shoes on the table seems obvious to me and not a superstition.....it's just not right to do it.

The only one I know is when giving a wallet or purse, some money goes in it.

My mother used to insist on making black-eyed peas for good luck on New Year's eve/day. They were terrible! If there's a recipe for a tasty version, we didn't have it. Otherwise I think we're superstition-free. :)
That is an old Southern tradition. Some people also eat collard greens, too. I like blackeyed peas, and I usually use Trappeys or Bushs canned, with bacon or snaps, what ever is available.

If you drop a knife a man is coming to the house, a fork is a woman and a spoon is a child per my grandma circa 1896.

Never put a handbag on the floor per my daughter in law. She gives me all kinds of expensive designer bags and wallets they buy in Europe but I guess she is out of money as there isn't any inside LOL!

My mother used to insist on making black-eyed peas for good luck on New Year's eve/day. They were terrible! If there's a recipe for a tasty version, we didn't have it. Otherwise I think we're superstition-free. :)

My family does this, though I don't always participate. I don't think it matters as far as luck, etc. Now, we used to often have canned black-eyed peas, which are indeed groos, but they can be made well using fresh beans. My mom makes them pretty good, though they're not a favorite or anything.

My great-grandmother was Scots and Irish (though she refused to acknowledge being Irish until St. Patrick's Day). She always told my grandfather that when she went out at night on St. Patrick's Day that if he left his bedroom, Pug the Peeler would come and peel his skin off his body. Turns out she was terrorizing him to go drinking at the nearby bars.

If I spill salt, I throw a pinch over my left shoulder to ward off bad luck. Apparently the devil sits on our left shoulder so we throw the salt at him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter