Are we all 'skinny challenged' compared to the world?

I use an ECV because I have osteoarthritis in my right knee, not because I'm fat.
What Karin was saying is , that it is very rare to see people using ECV's in Disneyland Paris compared to the America Disney Parks. We know, people use ECV for all sorts of reasons, but its the AMOUNT of use of ECV's in Disney parks that is very noticeable to those of us who have been to American Disney Parks and Disney parks in other countries.

It’s true, although the UK is starting to catch up but the US is still well in the lead. The biggest contrast I have seen was when my daughter and I visited Tokyo Disney. At the buffet we went to the plates were about half the size of the plates in the US, and we saw almost no fat people during our trip. Probably a correlation there. Moreover, I am a bit over 6 feet and about 165 lbs and found several of the rides uncomfortably tight, while in the US I always have more than enough room.
Paris just got its first Krispy Kreme and according to DGD her cousins were trying hard to be there the first day. Apparently eating habits are changing there as well. Once in the not so distant past French farmers destroyed newly opening Mickey Ds.

What Karin was saying is , that it is very rare to see people using ECV's in Disneyland Paris compared to the America Disney Parks. We know, people use ECV for all sorts of reasons, but its the AMOUNT of use of ECV's in Disney parks that is very noticeable to those of us who have been to American Disney Parks and Disney parks in other countries.
It's also possible paris disney isn't the same size as wdw.
Might be hard to do a like to like comparison.

We brought a couple of friends over from the UK for their first disney visit. We had a ball! However, on one day they were acting funny and we finally said "WHAT is it??" and they sheepishly asked why everyone was fat.

:oops:

I looked around and I guess the views were vastly different than how we all looked in the 1970s. Not sure what has happened.

I don't do world travel, but am wondering...do we as americans look different than non-tourists in the EU and south ameria and australia etc?

And if so....why?

Well i'd kindly never invite them back for their sterotypical, judgemental comments. There are overweight people all over the world. They need to look beyond the surface.

Paris just got its first Krispy Kreme and according to DGD her cousins were trying hard to be there the first day. Apparently eating habits are changing there as well. Once in the not so distant past French farmers destroyed newly opening Mickey Ds.

It is changing in Europe and even Japan. I was in Japan a few years back, and it was noticeable that most people were pretty thin (though not everybody). I have read that becasue of more western influence in their diet, that the average height has increased slightly. This is due to the incorporation of more red meat and dairy. That's not a problem is the populace remains active, however that can be changing too.

One thing I didn't point out is working. The shift to office/computer based jobs from more active work definitely plays a role. Even factory work or construciton - more active jobs - have better machinery that handle more work, decreasing the phsyicality in some roles. Every little thing contributes when applied large-scale.

Last edited:
It's also possible paris disney isn't the same size as wdw.
Might be hard to do a like to like comparison.
Actaully Disneyland Paris is comparable in size to Disneyland California. Ive been going to Disneyland California for over 10 years and Ive been 4 times to Disneyland Paris. Most recent visit to Disneyland California was June 2023 and most recent visit to Disneyland Paris was October 2023.

In Disneyland California, there is a huge use of EVC and I dont remember seeing one in October in Disneyland Paris.

Actaully Disneyland Paris is comparable in size to Disneyland California. Ive been going to Disneyland California for over 10 years and Ive been 4 times to Disneyland Paris. Most recent visit to Disneyland California was June 2023 and most recent visit to Disneyland Paris was October 2023.

In Disneyland California, there is a huge use of EVC and I dont remember seeing one in October in Disneyland Paris.
Ok.
My post was about WDW, not Cali.

I’ve gained 26 lbs. sitting in my ECV(stroke) for the last 22 months and would very much like to get rid of it. I’m not comfortable in my body and worry about the weight being permanent. In the physical rehab center I can readily see people with different attitudes about their condition. Some overeat as a form of gratification. Others decide that the chair is their reward for surviving an injury or illness. There are as many reasons to use a chair as people.

Not 100% sure, but I think you can only rent regular wheelchairs, not ECVs in Disneyland Paris.

If you saw one, it is most likely owned by the person on it. As it is not common to rent one. This probably decreases how many you see.

You can also see it in sizes, Disneyland Paris has the French in mind first, other Europeans next. Merchandise doesn't come in all sizes here. I think a French XXL is the highest, which is an XL in the US?

This reminds me of a recent episode of 90 Day Fiance (we all have our trash TV, okay?) where a guy from South Korea is moving to Arkansas for his fiance and the fiance's mother asks him what he thinks about the US. With a straight face, he says "Everyone here is really fat."

Jokes aside, the US does have an obesity problem for sure. I'm a shirt size S/M depending on the brand but in European countries I'm a M/L and in Japan I have shirts that are XL. One shirt I have from Tokyo Disneyland is a XXL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter