Are we going to be miserable in August?

BluOrchid2

<font color=deeppink>Princess Aurora's Mommy<br><f
Camping + Florida + August = Miserably Hot? Mosquitos? Humid, for sure. Who's been in August that can reassure me?

Well, we're going in July and are relying on air conditioning, insect repellant and lots of bottled water to get us through. We get some hot, humid weather in CT, but not on the magnitude of that in FL.............

No choice but summer for us because of school and jobs..........

Hope we all have a great time :smooth:

I lived in Georgia for a year and August was miserable. But I am a Northeast boy through and through, so hot weather and I do NOT get along. We like to go in the fall. FW has a pretty effective insect control program, but it is the woods so bring your insect repellant. Other than that, stay near the AC!

:cool:

If it makes you feel any better...We'll be there right along with ya. However, we'll be tent camping (with an ac unit out one of the doors of the tent). Besides the water and bug repellent, I'm counting on just good old Disney magic to help me through.

BluOrchid2,

We will also be at Fort Wilderness August 7 - August 17. I see that we both live close to each other. We are from O'Fallon, MO. Can't wait to go. Will be our first trip to the Fort.

Jim, Stephanie and 3 growing boys
2001 Yukon XL 2500
2003 KZ Frontier 2809

Oh Wow, EGG! That's very cool! What loop are you requesting? We were at WDW just a few weeks ago, at the end of March. We stayed at WL that time, but took one day and went over to the campground to check it out. Decided we really liked the 200 loop, so we're requesting that one.

I know where O'Fallon is. We travel to St. Louis a couple of times a year.

We bought our trailer just last year, so we're anxious to de-winterize it and start using it this year. We've taken it to a few Missouri State Parks that are within a couple hours' drive, but only on one "big" trip, to the Smoky Mountains last October. We are so thrilled at the prospect of taking it to Florida! Our entire trip will be August 1 - 16th, but we're planning on spending 4 nights on the beach in either Alabama or Florida's panhandle. We've found what appear to be some really nice campgrounds there. Dauphin Island, and Gulf State Park in Alabama, and Emerald RV Park in Navarre, FL are the ones we're looking at. Our stay at WDW will only be the 7th - 13th, and then back home.

Have you camped at Ft. Wilderness before? (edit: duh, just re-read your post and saw it's your first time there) :)
How old are your boys? We have a 12 year old boy. It would be great to meet you!

BluOrchid2:

We're heading down in July, and will be driving to Mississippi's Gulf coast to visit my aunt and Uncle after our week at FW. We have a family friend in Navarre, and if he is going to be home, we may overnight with him on our way to Ocean Springs!! I had never heard of Navarre until he moved there!!

We requested the 800 loop and are bringing our bikes with us. Hope the heat is bearable.......thank goodness for A.C.

Have a great trip!:smooth:

Songbert, THIS IS THE RV PARK that we're looking at staying at in Navarre. They have 5-6 sites that are right on the beach! If you click on "Site Map" you'll see pics of the campsites. If your friend in Navarre knows anything about this campground, I'd appreciate hearing it! Thanks!

BluOrchid2,

We have requested loop 1400. Not for any reason, just heard that it was a good loop. I have 3 boys, my oldest is also 12, then I have a 10 and 7 year old. We just moved up to our new Frontier 2809 from a Coyote hybrid and have not had a chance to use it yet. Have a couple of trips planed before the big one. We are very excited to be going to fort wilderness. I have been reading this forum for a long time now but just recently started posting. It would be great to meet you and your family. Keep me up to date as the time approches!: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

We are local and have lived just outside of Disney for over 25 years. I'll be totally honest with you, August is my least favorite month. Yes it's hot, yes the bugs are bad, and not to mention some wicked thunderstorms. Will you be miserable? No, I think if you have air condition, Bug Spray With DEET, Sunscreen, cool clothing, and lots of water to drink, you'll survive. Just enjoy your trip and don't let the heat get the best of you.

Have a good time
Sherri

If you're going to be there Aug3-20 anytime, stop and see us in the 300 loop! We went last year Aug because of the discounts and me being a teacher (only time off is summer and holidays). It was *hot*, but we had been in Branson the month before, and I thought that was just as bad (and no "mouse"!). I did think that the bugs weren't too bad (I'm sure Ft. W. has a bug plan, right?). The tree frogs talk all the time, and the little lizards are fast and can startle you, but with a.c. and lots of pool time, it's doable. If we didn't go then, and stay there, we couldn't afford to go at all, so I can't complain!

Hope to see you!
Terri

We are going from the 16th to 23rd and will be in the 1500 loop. My son and I were there last year in Aug and it was hotter in NJ than it was in Fl.

For what it is worth, we were just in Destin FL for Spring Break and got a pass to drive through the campground in Navarre. The sites were pretty close together especially as you get closer to the water. Several bumpouts were right next to each other, you could not walk between them. The area is fun,lots to do and the beach is nice. Several years ago we camped at the All Star Resort in Perdido Key, that was a Very Nice campground and in the same general area as Navarre.:)

I saw that you requested loop 200. We were in that loop in Dec. last year. I had requested that loop because it seemed like the closet to the marina/settlement depot/water. I have on piece of advice. Watch the mosquitos!!!!!:earseek: Our camper backed up to the canal. I had actually asked for that months and months in advance - more privacy. There was A LOT of rain the week we were there (10" worth!) and when we woke up Tuesday morning, the camper was infested! :eek: All the rain the day before had caused them to swarm and seek meals!!! :rolleyes: I called the front desk and they sent somone out that day to treat the canals but they couldn't do anything for US. Before we left (quite quickly I might add!) for the day, we lit one of those OFF coils inside the camper. We didn't have any problem after that, but we really had gotten bit pretty badly. :( I would ask for loop 200 again, but I think I'd want a site that was a bit farther away from the canals!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter