Are you able to put a seperate credit card..

KaitlinsMom

DIS Veteran
on your teenagers KTTW card? We would like to avoid having our DD access to our credit line while we are on the ship. It's easy to get carried away buying cokes and game tokens. We have a credit card that has a really low credit limit on it - Can we use that card just for her KTTW card?

thanks!

Karen

I believe that you can. We were justo nthe magic last week and my SIL and her finace used two credit cards. Her Key to the World card had her credit card on it and his had his credit card. Hope this helps.

when you get on the ship goto guest services (deck 3) and you should be able to put a limit on her card or just have it turned off. as for her soft drinks get her the unlimited sticker. i hope this helps

From everything we have read you can't put a limit on the KTTW cards. We have four kids and will not let them have charging because we are affraid if their KTTW card gets lost and in the wrong hands what might happen. I even asked if I bought our kids the pre paid visa cards and had each have their own account if that would solve the problem. NOPE. No matter what gets charged the parents are responsible for. I do understand that I should be required to pay for what ever my kids charge and there would be limits for them. (ex the pre paid limit on their card) BUT from what I undersatnd DCL will still let them charge past the limit on their credit card. If they go over the limit them DCL charges our card.
Problem would be solved if DCL would just let parents set a limit. If someone has heard anything different PLEASE post. Until things are changed our kids will not have charging on their KTTW cards. I even take charging off my card and only use dh card.

Wow Padre Disney- That is what I was afraid of - I guess we could get a statement everynight and see what she has been up to - If she blows it, then the card goes away - This gives me something to think about!

When we cruise this week I plan on stopping at guest services and double checking everything. That way we can plan ahead for the March 2004 trip. We really want the kids to be able to charge on their KTTW cards.
I think stopping at guest services eveyday to check the kids charges (FOUR KIDS) might take a little more time then I want.

Wouldn't it be so much easier if DCL would let you give each kid a set amount and when that amount is used up no more charging. :D

Kaitlinsmom............If you have recieved you "packet" from DCL each person has a place to put a credit card # or chicking account # on them. I you have a credit card witha low limit use that on for the younger ones. You can also get a prepaid visa or mastercard from one of your local banks and use that for the younger ones. I seem to remember going to deck 3 and "adding" 50.00 to my DD's KTTW card for the arcade. That was two cruises ago in Feb of 2000. I may be mistaken!!

Having asked this question, and also talked with DCL guest services a couple of times--each stateroom must be on a single account for settlement. You can't give more than one credit card or other means of settlement--can't have a separate means for each person in terms of the authorized means of payment. However, at any point during the week, you can pay down your balance using other means (including other credit cards, I believe). We paid ours down with cash, traveler's checks, and disney dollars at different points during the week. Good luck! I was worried about my 13 yo stepdaughter having charge privileges, but she did great!!! She was really disciplined and did not put any significant charges on the bill at all.

Regardless of using a low limit credit card, or whether or not you can actually do it, it won't help. All DCL does is check that the card is valid by issuing a temo charge of $1. They won't check for credit available when you check-in. I believe the "credit limit" that DCL gives to a card is $500. They don't check before to see if this has been met, and at that point the charge would go through without incident. If you didn't have enough credit at that time, you would be contacted by Guest Services to make payment. So, you really can't control an out of control teenager with a low-limit card, except to limit their spending to $500 on their account, until they are found out.

We used different cards on our cruise - my sister had hers connected to her KTTW card and I had mine on mine. But then, we were "adults" (so they claim!) so I don't know if it is different for the kids. If you think it's going to be a problem, why not sit down with your daughter and talk about spending before she's let loose on the ship? We cruised when I was younger, and I remember Dad telling us not to charge anything but souveniers. I know it was harder once we got older and started charging drinks to the cards! ;)

On our Feb 2000 cruise they billed us at the end of the cruise......on our Dec. 2002 I went to guest services the night before we were to disembark to get my bill and the had already billed my credit card twice. It looks like they bill once you have 500.00 in charges.

I had two rooms and provided different cards for each room. They still messed that up and everyone's charges got put on one card for one room. Once I figured out what happened when the VISA bill came, I called DCL who was going to look into what happened and "most certainly give me a call back." That was about 10 months ago and I'm still waiting for the call!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter