At SSR now.. was at AKV. Thoughts and opinions..

MikeyNS

DIS Veteran
First off I'd like to say that all the opinions written are mine and mine alone. Please take them as only opinions, but am definitely ready with my flame suit. ;) It is darn hot out. In the 90's and humid right now so I'm taking a break to write this in nice air conditioned comfort!

Our trip was/is Sept21-29th. 21st-23rd was in a studio at AKV and then 23rd-29th in a 1BR at SSR (our home resort). It was me, DW and DS who is 2. We've been DVC members since 2004. This trip will be our fifth DVC trip in 3 years, and our DVC has more than paid for itself (the pay rack rate, no discount kind of pay for itself). We've also stayed in every WDW DVC except for OKW. We rationalized travelling from Nova Scotia 3 times in the past 12 months because we wanted to make the best of our annual passes. We reckon that it only cost us about $15/day for the passes, but it will be highly unlikley we'll ever get one again since 3 times in a year is a little excessive for us.. but I love the rationalization that it's cheaper to fly down and stay a week than do it a few months later AND buy passes again.

Our room was ready immediately at the AKV. We arrived at around 2pm. This was our second visit to the AKL, as our first was in a SV room back in 02. I'm very glad I stayed here again as we were thinking of doing an AKV add-on due to the buzz here on the DISBoards. Not any more. It's a nice resort, but I just came away with a "blah" kind of feeling. I probably got my expectations too high. The location was fine, the animals were always out, but it just wasn't "us". It was somewhat like when we first experienced the BCV; reading about he hype and the reality were two different things. It's such a personal preference when it comes to the resort choice so I understand why everyone is passionate about their favorites. It might have been different if we didn't stay in a studio, but it felt Very hotel-ey (go figure!) and not DVC-like. I know my mind will change once the new building is ready to go. Buses were fine, but I found that there was as a lot of walking going from the room to the pool, room to the Mara, room to the buses and I'm the first one to laugh and roll my eyes when I hear people complain about the walking at a resort since all you do at WDW is walk! Even weirder is that I don't mind walking around SSR. Certainly hypocritical on my part.

My first bright idea was to leave the AKV early on Sunday and get to SSR to get our room. We got into SSR around 10:00am (due to a wrong turn somewhere because I thought I knew where I was.. tip#1: just follow the signs!). When I checked in our room was ready! Unfortunately they had us in a handicap accessible room. The nice lady at the desk decided that they should reserve those rooms for those who really need them (which I agree). So she moved us to the Springs section, but our room was not ready. I won't bother with the rest of the drama, but needless to say our room wasn't ready until 3:30pm. DS was such a trooper and didn't have his nap that day. We managed to swim, goto the Super Target for groceries, DTD for a little lunch and tour SSR since we hadn't been there since 2004.. but still it was such a long wait.

SSR is BEAUTIFUL! We love it here. We are so glad SSR is our home resort! One thing I noticed while we were driving around waiting for our room is that the outer buildings seemed empty (not a good feeling while you're waiting for your room for hours, while buildings are empty). They must fill up the closer buildings and only put people in the other buildings if capacity warrants. Sucked to be us. The buses were fine, but being at the Springs means that we're the last drop off after going around to all the other bus stops. We got off at the Grandstand and at the Carosel (? maybe it was the Paddock) and walked to our room before our bus hit the Springs busstop; but then again we're fast walker/strollers.

It's hot and humid in September and the weekends were still really busy. During the week the crowds were the lightest we've ever encountered. We're no longer commando disney-ers so we go for park opening and leave around 11am to go back for lunch and a swim (and a nap). When we leave the parks we're definitely doing against the flow of traffic in.

Even with the light crowds would I go in September again? I think the end of Jan/first of Feb and the first week of May are my favorite times now. Just too humid for my liking.
Magical Beginnings for the families of small children are AWESOME. A must do. Lots of walk on rides for the kids and so many characters to interact with. A huge plus. Went also did both water parks and I can now appreciate the kids sections. Great place to play and keep cool and not crowded during the weekday afternoons that we went.

Anything else? Just a few little insightsand thoughts more than anything.

#1: Our favorite DVC resorts are, in this order: SSR, VWL, BWV, AKV and then BCV.
#2: There is no such thing as terrible bus service. Just terrible luck getting to the bus stop at the wrong times.
#3: Why did they convert the entire 5th floor in the AKL to DVC? Seems like an odd decision to me. Just build the darn building!
#4: I continually say to my DW that we are so lucky to be able to experience Disney so much. Most families save up for years for 1 magical trip at a value resort. We are so, so, so fortunate.
#4: People who can have a great trip staying in a studio for a week are super troopers. We are now officially 1BR+ snobs. We don't have a lot of points, but the studios don't have the space, full kitchen or the privacy we need. It's nice to put the little guy to bed while the other one is relaxing in the living room. Right now my DW is putting him to sleep while I type this in front of the TV. It truly is home (not that I sit in front of the TV while my wife puts the boy to bed. Just happens to be that way tonite!).
#5: We like renting a car. We've taken ME 3-4 times now, but the time saved by going to the Emerald Aisle and jumping in the car and leaving, getting to our resort quickly and having a car to goto the water parks rocks.
#6: Did I mention how humid September is? Wow. Feels like you're always walking into a hairdryer.
#7: We love making meals in our villa. Even though we're on vacation. It's not like we're making 5 course meals or anything. Making breakfast, a sandwich or throwing a pizza in the oven feels a lot better than spending $50 in the parks.
#8: Zero entry pools and toddlers who are just learning how to swim are wonderful.
#9: I think I learned my lesson of doing multiple resorts in one visit. From now on we'll check in once and be in that resort for the entire stay. Points be darned! :)
#10: We have no doubt that we will be able to get a room at the AKV once the new building is ready and will definitely stay there once it's ready. Then I'll make my final judgement and probably want to add-on.
#11: Families that take their newborns are amazing. I would be so paranoid about the heat, crowds, excess stimulation and just something happening in general while I was away at home would make me weak in the knees.
#12: Lots of Grandvillas ae occupied right now. Must be nice!

All in all it's another amazing trip to WDW. Even the things that make me a little cranky are just minor speedbumps in the grand scheme of things. SSR is a fantastic resort. AKV is not to our taste yet. Not going whole-hog in the parks makes for a relaxing trip no matter what the weather.

We'll be taking a break from WDW since we're expecting #2 in 2008, so I'll be planning for Jan/Feb 2009, probably at OKW. Anyone got a good double stroller they want to get rid of? :)

Questions?

Thanks for taking the time to post. That a/c does feel good on a hot humid in Florida.

I think that the "new" section of AKV will be recieved better, then the hotel room conversions, in the lodge. There is two part answer as to why they converted the 5th and 6th floors. First, AKL has never met its expected occupancy levels. Second, SSR will sell out in the first quarter of 2008. DVC needed something to sell or have a year and a half gap of nothing on the market.

Glad to see you are having a great trip! Has me looking forward to our trip in 32 days!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to post! Always love to read feedback...good, bad..indfifferant.
I do agree about the bus service...your timing is on or off..lol...so far its always been on for us.
We just bought SSR on the 1st, so its good to read positive things. Your not a 1 bdr snob...! Its wonderul with little ones!! Its a must! Now...perhaps if you said I will only stay in a Grand Villa.....lol!! Still working on that one myself for next year!
Have fun and stay cool!!!

Thanks for posting! I'm glad you're so pleased with your home resort...and the 1 bedroom. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Thanks for posting...we are making our first trip home to SSR in a little over a week...I believe we will have the same feeling about our home resort. Have a great rest of your vacation.

I agree with your thoughts on One bedrooms vs studios. Give me a one bedroom anyday. Too bad I'm using more points. I'll be a whole lot more comfortable.

And I also agree with your thoughts on SSR. It's a wonderful resort and very relaxing. We like staying there from time to time.

One tip for OKW - it's hard hauling that double stroller up the stairs when they put you in a third floor villa. Carry the new baby on your back instead so the stairs won't be so bad. Only elevators are in Bldg 62, 63 and 64. Unless they go through with the OKW Retirement Village - then they will have to add elevator or stair glides to the buildings.

We'll be taking a break from WDW since we're expecting #2 in 2008, so I'll be planning for Jan/Feb 2009, probably at OKW. Anyone got a good double stroller they want to get rid of? :)

Questions?

If you were there in Jan/feb 08 we would LEAVE you ours! We are not sure we will return home with our double stroller when we go to WDW next in Jan 08!

Beth

You are absolutely correct that perceptions are entirely in the eye of the beholder MikeyNS. You've presented your views in a very admirable fashion and there is certainly no need for flame suits since you simply stated what you liked and did not like without casting aspersions on those who might have different points of views.

Just one thing that wasn't quite clear from reading your TR... how did you find the humidity this time of year?

Great Post! Thanks for letting everyone know your opinions. We have not stayed at AKV yet, but I believe we would echo your thoughts. We love SSR too, followed closely by OKW. (I like my space). I think many of us have been made snobs by DVC, we just don't know it! Me, I'm a 2BR snob, even if we could get by with a 1br on a particular trip, I like the 2!

You are absolutely correct that perceptions are entirely in the eye of the beholder MikeyNS. You've presented your views in a very admirable fashion and there is certainly no need for flame suits since you simply stated what you liked and did not like without casting aspersions on those who might have different points of views.

Just one thing that wasn't quite clear from reading your TR... how did you find the humidity this time of year?

I can't stand the humidity actually.. last time for a September trip. I think I would rather have it a bit more crowded than humid. Thanks for all the kind words! I think being a DVC member spoils some people.. I'm just humbled that we can do it!
As for the 1BR, I HAVE to have a washer and dryer. Both DW and I just brought enough clothes for 3-4 days. Packing ultra-light rocks as well.

I loved reading your report!! You got me all pumped for my SSR visit next weekend. We are "slumming it" as my DH says in a studio. We usually stay in a one bedroom, but this was an added in trip just for the weekend.

Congrats on baby #2!

We got into SSR around 10:00am (due to a wrong turn somewhere because I thought I knew where I was.. tip#1: just follow the signs!).

Let me guess. You missed the sign to turn left toward "All Other Guest Areas" and ended up forced back onto I-4?

I spent a couple days getting lost between AK / AKV and SSR / DTD. Driving there only seems to make sense from the interior of the resort rather than the ends.

Is I-4 still a construction mess down by World Drive? I've been dreading that for the last year and a half as I commute from my Marriott International Drive resorts.

Enjoy the rest of your stay!

I liked your post.

I can't stand the humidity actually.. last time for a September trip. I think I would rather have it a bit more crowded than humid. Thanks for all the kind words! I think being a DVC member spoils some people.. I'm just humbled that we can do it!
As for the 1BR, I HAVE to have a washer and dryer. Both DW and I just brought enough clothes for 3-4 days. Packing ultra-light rocks as well.

I think the previous writer was being sarcastic in regards to the humidity question:rotfl:

#2: There is no such thing as terrible bus service. Just terrible luck getting to the bus stop at the wrong times.

#4: I continually say to my DW that we are so lucky to be able to experience Disney so much. Most families save up for years for 1 magical trip at a value resort. We are so, so, so fortunate.

#4: People who can have a great trip staying in a studio for a week are super troopers. We are now officially 1BR+ snobs. We don't have a lot of points, but the studios don't have the space, full kitchen or the privacy we need. It's nice to put the little guy to bed while the other one is relaxing in the living room. Right now my DW is putting him to sleep while I type this in front of the TV. It truly is home (not that I sit in front of the TV while my wife puts the boy to bed. Just happens to be that way tonite!).

#7: We love making meals in our villa. Even though we're on vacation. It's not like we're making 5 course meals or anything. Making breakfast, a sandwich or throwing a pizza in the oven feels a lot better than spending $50 in the parks.

#10: We have no doubt that we will be able to get a room at the AKV once the new building is ready and will definitely stay there once it's ready. Then I'll make my final judgement and probably want to add-on.

Nice report. You stated your opinions quite nicely without stepping on toes!:thumbsup2 I'm not flaming you about anything you said, just responding to a few things from my point of view...

First - there CAN BE and THERE IS bad WDW bus transportation! We just had terrible experiences when we were there in August. Example - we had a 7:30 dinner ressie at BOMA. They recommend you allow 45-60 min. travel time. We'd been having such terrible service all week we left our room at OKW at 6:05 to allow almost 1 1/2 hours. Do you know that we were STILL ALMOST 15 MINUTES LATE?! We snagged a bus ride up to the Hospitality House then took the next water taxi to DTD & then waited there for a bus! It was horrible!:headache: We almost always had to wait 45-60 min. coming or going anywhere! It was much worse than just bad timing!

Second - you are SO-O right about how lucky any of us are who can afford to own DVC. I know a LOT of people who've never been and probably never will go because it absolutely is cost prohibitive for them! We have plenty of family in that boat so we're hoping to take them in 2009.

Third - do we win a prize if we managed to have a great vac. in a studio?! :rotfl: We're only a family of 3 and can manage in a studio just fine - esp. if it means we'll have enough points left for another vacation! No doubt, a 1 bedroom would be awesome - but it would really bite into the length of our stays! That's definitely a trade-off for us!

Next - humidity....did you say you were from Nova Scotia? Your body probably just isn't used to it....it's miserable, but I've never been to FL when there wasn't any! We're going in Jan. for the first time - I'm already thinking that it will feel odd!:)

NEXT - I am one of those people who do not go on vacation to cook! And we honestly found the time it took to go between the parks and our room at OKW to waste a lot of time. We were so-o glad we'd only booked a studio and hadn't planned on trying to prepare meals other than breakfast in our room! That would've been a real bust!

Finally, we LOVE AKL!! However, we bought at SSR because we were able to do so last year when they had the friends & family promotion - it was just so much more cost effective (that and plus AK wasn't on sale yet)! We stayed at OKW this time to save points (it won't be our most fav. resort but we want to try them ALL eventually). Anyway, we went over to SSR to see the models for both SSR and AKV. LOVED the AKV ones! SSR not so much our "style" or whatever. But I'm sure we'll stay there one day. I am trying so hard to talk DH into an add-on at AKV. I think he's weakening after seeing the models - but he's stronger than I am!:rotfl2: (I might actually spring for the points for a 1 bedroom over there if we add-on!!):) I bet the new building will have more of a DVC feel. I hope your next stay there is better!

Anyway, glad you had a nice trip - thanks for your views!

I think the previous writer was being sarcastic in regards to the humidity question:rotfl:

As sarcasm is considered to be a not-so-good thing on these boards, I would clarify that the previous writer (me) was simply making a somewhat inept attempt at jocularity regarding the humidity references.

#3: Why did they convert the entire 5th floor in the AKL to DVC? Seems like an odd decision to me. Just build the darn building!

I enjoyed your report. I think they were having trouble filling AKL as a deluxe hotel resort because of the lousy location. Hotel guests hate riding buses, and deluxe hotel guests expect easy park access. So they really needed to get rid of some excess hotel capacity.

DVC members hate riding buses, too, but the thinking is that they spend more time around the resort.

My understanding is that the AKL, more than any other resort, has people who come for a couple of days just to enjoy the resort and not visit the parks. For this reason I think AKV it will be a popular DVC resort despite the lousy location. Although I detest bus rides, I'd be happy with a stay here if I were in the main building. I'm not sure how I'd like Siberia -- I mean Kidani.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in. We just returned from Ssr. We loved it. I'm glad since it is our home resort. When we first visited there, I wasn't so sure I would enjoy staying there, but we had a great time. Our g-kids loved the pool. It was very nice to sit out by the pool at night and enjoy a movie. All they need is a popcorn machine.:thumbsup2

I enjoyed your report. I think they were having trouble filling AKL as a deluxe hotel resort because of the lousy location. Hotel guests hate riding buses, and deluxe hotel guests expect easy park access. So they really needed to get rid of some excess hotel capacity.

DVC members hate riding buses, too, but the thinking is that they spend more time around the resort.

My understanding is that the AKL, more than any other resort, has people who come for a couple of days just to enjoy the resort and not visit the parks. For this reason I think AKV it will be a popular DVC resort despite the lousy location. Although I detest bus rides, I'd be happy with a stay here if I were in the main building. I'm not sure how I'd like Siberia -- I mean Kidani.

I wish they would build a waterway or path to Animal Kingdom. Who knows, someday they might. I would definately make AKL/AKV even more appealing to potential guests.

For now the short bus or car ride will have to do.

Thanks for sharing, and totally agree with your consenus on the two resorts. AKL did not appeal to us, therefore we know AKV will not either. Does not make it less appealing to other just not us.

I do appreciate when SSR owners re-enforce what many of us have known all along, but we can't seem to get across to some on this forum, is that many SSR owners are very pleased with their home resort and will spend the majority of thier time there.

It is our favorite WDW DVC resort. :thumbsup2

It's so nice to have variety! I would stay at ANY DVC resort again, but definitely have my preferences. We don't mind riding the bus as it is less stressful for us than driving aimlessly around the Disney complex (it you have ever ridden with DH you will know what I am talking about). No sense of direction at all and I am not allowed to "assist" in any way....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter