At SSR now.. was at AKV. Thoughts and opinions..

DVC members hate riding buses, too, but the thinking is that they spend more time around the resort.

I actually love Disney bus transportation (love the ferry boats too - but hate the smelly, claustrophobic monorail). The problem w/most deluxes is that they have truly hideous, inefficient, slow-as-molasses, shared bus service. AKV has great bus service. :goodvibes

Great post :thumbsup2 We are SSR owners also and have only stayed there once so far and we loved it! I do want to try AKV too though but I have a feeling SSR will remain our favorite.

I do appreciate when SSR owners re-enforce what many of us have known all along, but we can't seem to get across to some on this forum, is that many SSR owners are very pleased with their home resort and will spend the majority of thier time there.

It is our favorite WDW DVC resort. :thumbsup2

My DH, who wasn't sure about buying SSR this summer, said today that he could see himself just relaxing around the resort, drop in Epcot or Disney Studios, but mainly just enjoying the resort. And I actually don't mind cooking during vacation. We're looking forward to our first trip "home" next summer.

So are we!! Although DD11 and I are doing a quick trip to AKV...I cannot wait to go to SSR in June:) This is one resort I think you can go and visit and not visit parks...I mind cooking at home....lol...but love having that option in case DH wants to!!!! lol j/k

Thanks for the great review, most of my words exactly! We are also a SSR/Nova Scotia family :)

We leave our Nova Scotia home on Dec 27 and return Jan 13 th :woohoo: We make it 1 longer trip per year...instead of multiple shorter ones especially with the airline prices from Nova Scotia :eek:

All DVC members don't "hate riding buses." This was a big selling point for my DH. He loves leaving the rat race "commuter h**l) and just letting go and going with the flow. As empty nesters we have no tired and irratable children to deal with except ourselves :) When you're waiting for the bus, just put yourself in a Zen state of mind ...you're in Disney World! :hippie:

I don't mind buses, but having stayed in the Epcot Resort area 4 times (3 times at YC and once at BWV) I really enjoy walking to Epcot or boating to Studios. We always drive and rarely move our car because not having to drive is a part of my reality escape.

I agree with th OP I don't think I want to move during a stay again, checking in once is enough. Also glad to hear the positive comments on SSR. I own there but haven't stayed there yet.

All DVC members don't "hate riding buses." This was a big selling point for my DH. He loves leaving the rat race "commuter h**l) and just letting go and going with the flow. As empty nesters we have no tired and irratable children to deal with except ourselves :) When you're waiting for the bus, just put yourself in a Zen state of mind ...you're in Disney World! :hippie:

You ARE right, of course. I dare say a good majority hates riding buses when compared with walking to the parks. But a majority isn't everyone, and I'm sure your husband has plenty of company.

However, the bus issue is what was keeping AKL from staying full as a deluxe hotel, which was my original point. Now that some rooms have been removed from circulation, I think it's going to do just fine, and I think a lot of BWV and BCV owners will enjoy a stay at AKV despite the bus issue, particularly if they are able to get a room in Jambo (getting a room in Jambo is going to be very, very, very important for us BWV types).

I have to agree with the OP... I don't think that AKV will be our cup of tea, either, though I will reserve judgement until we try it. We don't mind not being right next to the parks (like at BCV or BWV), but AKV just feels too remotely located.

We are big fans of SSR, though, primarily because we are no longer park fanatics (like we used to be when the kids were smaller). SSR is very laid-back, and the last time we stayed there we ended up not going to any park at all... even though we had tickets left from previous trips. Very relaxing.

I think that SSR got a bad reputation initially as being a monstrosity filled with owners who bought there only to gobble up reservations at other resorts. The fact is, many many people really love the resort... and I think that as time as passed SSR has established itself as a fantastic place with a loyal following.

I actually love Disney bus transportation (love the ferry boats too - but hate the smelly, claustrophobic monorail). The problem w/most deluxes is that they have truly hideous, inefficient, slow-as-molasses, shared bus service. AKV has great bus service. :goodvibes

Out of all of our trips, AKV has definitely has had the best bus service. And I don't think it had anything to do with us being lucky enough to arrive at the bus stops at just the right time. Trust me, we're not that lucky...so it had to be great service!

We enjoyed staying at both of our home resorts and hope to stay at all the DVC properties in the future. We appreciate the ones we have stayed at so far, but for different reasons.:) Each DVC resort is unique and we, too, feel fortunate to be able to experience all DVC has to offer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter