August W.I.S.H. Challenge - The Sunday of Summer

I’m thankful for this vacation! It has been the perfect escape from reality. Our house is right on the beach. We came with all our food. We got pizza the first night since we were just getting into the house around dinner time. But otherwise, we haven’t really been around other people. I mean there are other people on the beach, but everyone stays in their space. I haven’t had to wear a mask since we got down here. I’m also thankful for this time to slow down. We were very busy last week trying to get our new closet organizers hung and our clothes moved back into the closet. So this slowing down has been a blessing. I know it’s going to pick up with school as soon as I get back, so I’m just relaxing every second of this vacation! And the sky here is amazing! The last two night we were able to watch the meteor shower. So cool!!!

Excellent! (Make sure you keep a copy for yourself too!)

My woohoo yesterday was that FIL got good news. - He had to have a covid test because he had visited a friend who later tested positive. But FIL's came back negative! (Thankful for wearing masks.)

Unfortunately, I am now worried about DS (who was not even around FIL) because he was vomiting last night. It isn't a "usual" covid symptom, and he had no fever, but it's on the list of possible symptoms, so he's staying home today to see what happens.

Hopefully, it was just a bad smoothie (the last thing he had to "eat" last night) but in these times, it's hard not to worry about everything. Plus, he feels guilty calling out of work, because tomorrow is supposed to be his last day for the summer anyway.

Keep your fingers crossed for us!
Yay for your FIL. I hope you son feels better soon! Sending good thoughts your way :hug:

They removed all of my Pre-K furniture and put in student desks. My classroom looks like a 2nd grade now. So bizarre.
That’s what is happening to my kindergarten classroom as well. And since I teach a smaller class size than most, I just found out that my classroom that I designed in our new building is going to be used for third grade and I’m getting moved into a smaller classroom. Not a big deal except that I have a lot of stuff that’s needs to be stored away since the kids can’t really play in centers this year. I really can’t wrap my head around what these early childhood classes are going to look like. And I’m still waiting on our districts guidelines. But what I do know is that parents were given an option of 100% live, 100% virtual or A/B (hybrid model, but the district is still deciding what that will look like) and I will have to teach all the students on my roster regardless of what their parents chose. I currently have 1 A/B and 1 virtual student while the rest are all live. That should be interesting...

That’s what is happening to my kindergarten classroom as well. And since I teach a smaller class size than most, I just found out that my classroom that I designed in our new building is going to be used for third grade and I’m getting moved into a smaller classroom. Not a big deal except that I have a lot of stuff that’s needs to be stored away since the kids can’t really play in centers this year. I really can’t wrap my head around what these early childhood classes are going to look like. And I’m still waiting on our districts guidelines. But what I do know is that parents were given an option of 100% live, 100% virtual or A/B (hybrid model, but the district is still deciding what that will look like) and I will have to teach all the students on my roster regardless of what their parents chose. I currently have 1 A/B and 1 virtual student while the rest are all live. That should be interesting...
When will you teach the virtual students? I imagine a lesson you do in class won’t always translate to a virtual lesson.

My woohoo yesterday was that FIL got good news. - He had to have a covid test because he had visited a friend who later tested positive. But FIL's came back negative! (Thankful for wearing masks.)

Unfortunately, I am now worried about DS (who was not even around FIL) because he was vomiting last night. It isn't a "usual" covid symptom, and he had no fever, but it's on the list of possible symptoms, so he's staying home today to see what happens.

Hopefully, it was just a bad smoothie (the last thing he had to "eat" last night) but in these times, it's hard not to worry about everything. Plus, he feels guilty calling out of work, because tomorrow is supposed to be his last day for the summer anyway.

Wow. So glad that your FIL is healthy. Now hoping your DS feels better soon.

View attachment 518049
I’m thankful for this vacation! It has been the perfect escape from reality. Our house is right on the beach. We came with all our food. We got pizza the first night since we were just getting into the house around dinner time. But otherwise, we haven’t really been around other people. I mean there are other people on the beach, but everyone stays in their space. I haven’t had to wear a mask since we got down here. I’m also thankful for this time to slow down. We were very busy last week trying to get our new closet organizers hung and our clothes moved back into the closet. So this slowing down has been a blessing. I know it’s going to pick up with school as soon as I get back, so I’m just relaxing every second of this vacation! And the sky here is amazing! The last two night we were able to watch the meteor shower. So cool!!!
Spectacular view. You are in my personal Heaven right now. Our favorite beach is in N. Truro, Cape Cod, MA, right on Cape Cod Bay. The sound of the waves and the ocean breeze while sleeping at night is the most relaxing thing to me. If we had one more day without power, I think I would have made an executive decision to flee to the Cape! Enjoy this PARADISE.

I'm so sorry that you are losing the classroom you designed. That's terrible. My stuff is in the cafeteria right now, up for grabs for whoever wants to steal my paint, manipulatives, etc...

We are totally up in the air with how teaching will go. Supposedly they are capping my class at 14 (normally 18). Kindergarten is normally 25, but I would imagine that they are capping their class at a lower number as well. Even with 14 desks (I still can't picture my littles sitting at desks:sad2:) I can't space them 6 feet apart. I was playing with the layout yesterday before I had to leave, and I couldn't properly space more than 10, and that was pushing it. I still have to figure out cubbies. Even after I figure out the layout, I just don't know how to teach 3 & 4 year olds without using Centers. This is year 20 for me, 19 in Pre-K, 1 in K. It is going to be so difficult to do this, and the powers that be just don't understand all of the challenges ahead of us.

If you have any ideas, please share them with me since what we do is so similar.

My fingers are crossed!

View attachment 518049
Beautiful! SO happy you are getting this break to rest and recharge.

When will you teach the virtual students? I imagine a lesson you do in class won’t always translate to a virtual lesson.
Such a good question. My district is fitting all of the classrooms with cameras, so now Big Brother will be watching. I'm used to being observed from time to time, but not 100% of the time by anybody who wants to "tune in." I'm so used to telling private jokes to my assistant that the kids don't understand and other conversations that I wouldn't want broadcasted across the district. We will have to censor ourselves. It will be like we are on live television 7 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Yes, many lessons will not translate to virtual lessons. My morning meeting, literacy lesson, math lesson, Zumba breaks for gross motor will transfer. However, I plan on giving them their own Legos, Play Doh, writing and coloring practice, and of course, the lifesaver of them all, nap time, which will now be them putting their heads down on their desks (stop it!) rather than cots.

I'm so sorry that you are losing the classroom you designed. That's terrible. My stuff is in the cafeteria right now, up for grabs for whoever wants to steal my paint, manipulatives, etc...

We are totally up in the air with how teaching will go. Supposedly they are capping my class at 14 (normally 18). Kindergarten is normally 25, but I would imagine that they are capping their class at a lower number as well. Even with 14 desks (I still can't picture my littles sitting at desks:sad2:) I can't space them 6 feet apart. I was playing with the layout yesterday before I had to leave, and I couldn't properly space more than 10, and that was pushing it. I still have to figure out cubbies. Even after I figure out the layout, I just don't know how to teach 3 & 4 year olds without using Centers. This is year 20 for me, 19 in Pre-K, 1 in K. It is going to be so difficult to do this, and the powers that be just don't understand all of the challenges ahead of us.

If you have any ideas, please share them with me since what we do is so similar.
Our works are very similar. In our district, most kids get half day kindergarten. But all kids are screened during registration and the lowest academically qualify for full day kindergarten, which is what I teach. So my class size stays low...usually around 15. They are starting me with 10 this year with the understanding that I will probably get more once school starts because they weren’t able to screen anyone who registered after March 13. I have also been teaching for 20 years and all the experience and training I’ve had has not prepared me for teaching littles in desks. So this will be an interesting year for sure!

So many changes to figure out... hang in there. Hoping it will work out OK for eveyone.

All I know so far is that they are purchasing cameras for our rooms if we want to use them to stream our lessons. And our school day has been shortened by an hour so that we can use that hour to check in with the virtual students. Other than that, I really haven’t figured it out yet. I feel like it’s going to be one day at a time and all of us learning together...

Our works are very similar. In our district, most kids get half day kindergarten. But all kids are screened during registration and the lowest academically qualify for full day kindergarten, which is what I teach. So my class size stays low...usually around 15. They are starting me with 10 this year with the understanding that I will probably get more once school starts because they weren’t able to screen anyone who registered after March 13. I have also been teaching for 20 years and all the experience and training I’ve had has not prepared me for teaching littles in desks. So this will be an interesting year for sure!
I will share anything I learn.:hug:

Thankful...

I'm also going to be thankful that it is still summer, even tho things are subtly changing. And I'm thankful that I didn't get totally chewed out for a mistake I made yesterday (made a change before we had the approval to do so... oops). And I'm thankful that the sugar ants seem to be under control... the 20 traps laying around on the living room floor seem to have helped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter