Aulani Dilemma...WWYD? Poll included

What would you do with the $$??

• Keep my reservation with Paradise Cove

• Cancel Paradise Cove ASAP and make a sunset reservation at Ama Ama for sister's birthday

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.

Girimama33

"I've disgraced the forces of evil."
There are 13 of us going to Aulani in July...Yes...13.
The cast includes:
My parents
DH, myself and DD (6 at the time)
Oldest sister her DD (25) and DS (26)
Middle sister (no kids)
Brother, his DW and DD (13) and DD (10)

My middle sister's birthday is on Wednesday, July 16th while we are there. We currently have the Ama Ama Executive Lanai booked for the day from 9-6 and have booked the Paradise Cove Orchid package for all of us that evening.
We aren't planning on going to the luau until about 6:30 - 7, so we will likely miss some of the activities beforehand.

I am thinking we should cancel Paradise Cove, and maybe book Ama Ama instead for a nice dinner and then make sure we catch the Starlit Hui while we are there (which we would anyway).
I have read so many bad reviews about their luau, I feel like the money ($1300+) maybe better spent elsewhere.

I am flying down to So Cal tomorrow (going to Disneyland tomorrow - Yay!) to see my family, and we are going to discuss what to do with this night.
I would love to hear what you DISers would opt to do. any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I would definitely cancel PC for this day and book Ama Ama. Then your lanai experience can truly be enjoyed without having to watch the clock. If possible, try to see Starlit Hui early in your trip so you get that under your belt. From there you can decide if you need more of a luau experience and book PC. We have done all of this (minus the lanai) and I loved it all. We had a really great dinner at AA with excellent service, loved the Starlit (get there early to pick a great spot on the lawn) and we also really enjoyed PC. I think it is one of the best on the island, which doesn't say a WHOLE lot but you have to take them for what they are - the food will be as good as it can be when they are feeding huge numbers of people... outside! The pre activities are great, (you shouldn't miss it IMO) and the entertainment is great too. Sure it is a little cheesy but I love that side of Hawaii too (Starlit is pretty classy in comparison, although it is just a short taste). The best part of PC is being able to walk there from Aulani.

If you have a car and are exploring the island, the Polynesian Cultural Center is a great luau option too. It compares well to PC in terms of the food, but you also get the experience of walking around (it opens from 12-9 I think) to check out the different islands' activities and entertainment, having the luau buffet and then watching a great evening show (Ha: Breath of Life). A day at PCC is also pricey and you have to factor in a car and travelling but I am really glad we did it once.

Bottom line, I would cancel your evening at PC on your lanai day and play things by ear for the luaus.

Aloooohaaaa!

We've always done our luau's on other islands - have always heard they're better than any on Oahu. I'm not a fan of PCC so I wouldn't waste my time or money there either. If Ama Ama fits your budget I would book that instead.

We did the PC Laua on our last trip in December.... the activities were ok... really just some crafts and then waiting in a really long line to throw a spear at a target.

The food was average Luau fare. Then for the show there were some entertaining parts and some cheesy parts I could have done without, seemed like the host dronned on and on. The best part was the fire dancer, he was great.

I was sort of glad we did it once, but knowing what I do now, I would tell folks to save their money. Starlit Hui was more enjoyable and free!

I voted to cancel! I spent a lot of $$ to make sure my wife and I could celebrate our anniversary at the Luau a couple of years ago and the food was absolutely horrible. We reserved the highest price package and expected way more than what we got.

I love fried chicken but it was so overdone it wasn't edible at all and the pork was..... just pork. No flavor at all.

Maybe I had great expectations, but I thought the PC Luau was just crap for a lot of $$.... just my opinion!

Good luck with your decision!

If you are OK with catching the starlight Hui on a different day during your stay, I vote to dump Ama Ama and go to Roys Ko Olina to celebrate. I read mix reviews on Ama Ama, but everything I hear about Roy's is awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter