Aulani on a Whim? A 10 day odyssey (or Ohio: There and Back Again - my first TR)

Thanks. Great read! I really want to try surfing.

I've added a couple more pics and a bit more info on surfing. You should go for it. I think many might think it's hard, but every person out there (but one) got up and surfing within 10 minutes of being in the water.

This is where I thought I'd come back (from time to time) and add tips as they occur to me, and as a way to say a big thank you to everyone who contributes to these boards. We got a huge amount of information from them, and would like to give some of that back.

First up, the Most Interesting CM I've Ever Met

- I had a GREAT talk with a backstage CM one afternoon. She was a native Hawaiian, and her job is to teach the new CMs how the history and culture of Hawaii are incorporated into the resort. I shared with her my impressions, and she shared so much I wish I could have recorded it.

- Among other things, she pointed out a couple of the animals in the volcano (pics below), and I *thought* she said that the same Imagineer that had designed the "Tree of Life" in AK had a hand in the volcano (but I won't swear to it).

- She told me how the Court Yard reflected the traditional design of the Hawaiian kingdoms(?), which were pie shaped around the island. Each bridge is designed to take you to another of these areas.

- Many of the plants you see were an integral part of everyday life in providing clothing, food & shelter.

- One of the traditional deities was known for his mischievousness, and there's a story about him that includes his canoe being stolen and put in the top of a tree (which explains the top of the children's play area).

- She showed me the "peep holes" in the children's splash area, where without asking, an Imagineer decided to give children a little reward for their curiosity.

- And finally, that there is a strong tradition of gift-giving in the Hawaiian culture, and Disney's "gift" to the Hawaiian people was the honor of having the only resort in the "brand" where the Disney name doesn't come first.

Layovers:

As odd as this may sound, I think our decision to take the long layovers, and then to explore a bit during that time, made our trip an even bigger success than it already was. Of course, had we missed a flight, I'd be singing a different tune. We didn't experience, nearly as much, the fact that we were on a trip that required 11-12 hours in the air, and the kids got to see two very iconic areas of the country. My tip here would be that if given a choice, choose a lay-over with a train system, as they tend to be more reliable. But even then, there's a chance they won't be running, as was the case in San Francisco because of how early we got in. But he train ride back to the airport in San Fran was MUCH less stressful than the cab ride back to LAX.

Food:

I'm cheap, and Hawaiian food prices are STEEP! When we ate out, for a family of 5, we could easily spend as much as $75 for lunch, and about double that for dinner. And while Costco and the grocery might have been a bit higher (I didn't really notice), it still had to save me somewhere upwards near $1000 by eating in (including steaks on the grill one night and burgers on the grill another). I know a lot of people really enjoy their dining experiences, and I'll share a couple of ours as I have time, but my number one tip regarding food is, EAT IN (my Disney bill was about $150 on check-out, and that was with 2 refillable mugs).

Now with that said, I'll turn right around and say that you should try and have at least one authentic Hawaiian meal (we ate at the Highway Inn (on a tip from this board - thank you, and featured on one of the Food Network programs), got our meals on trays, and as tourists, were clearly the minority. I won't say I loved it, but I'm really glad I tried it (I didn't like the Poi - it's an acquired taste, and neither will you, but you should still try it). Looking at the tray of food, it didn't seem like it was any more than you would get at any other cafeteria-style place, but we were all shocked at how little we could eat. And not because it wasn't good, the meat especially was quite good. But it was so FILLING. I don't know how the locals do it. I ate the most in our group, and I still only got through about 2/3 of the meal. I was actually quite embarrassed we left as much food on our plates as we did.

Volcano Turtle

Disney-VolcanoTurtle.jpg

Volcano Ocatpus

Disney-VolcanoOctapus.jpg

Volcano Whale

Disney-VolcanoWhale.jpg

(There's also a very obvious owl [which I didn't get a photo of], and many others, that given the time and right angle, would have become just as obvious. I hope people are slowing down long enough to see them. They're really pretty cool.)

Great report!
Just a few thoughts-
-First off you guys had one of the best rooms at the resort!

-We did surf lessons with Hawaii Fire when there in December and they were great, especially for us first time surfers.

-We also liked to hang at the quiet pool, you could always find a chair.

-When we were there is was the NFL playoffs and I had to resort to listening to the Seahawks game with my iphone NFL phone app. Though in the end it was actually nice to be able to listen while on my pool lounge chair as opposed to having to sit at the bar in the shade. So I suppose it all worked out.

Loved your progression photo of the sunset!

Love your photos. My dh will be searching for soccer while we are there in June. World Cup. I better warn him of your difficulty.

:yay:
I loved your TR and ALL the photo's!
I hope you'll always do a TR for all of us this one is great!

Brittney Spears was at the resort while we were there. We didn't see her, but our kids saw her tweet. There was also a player from the Cleveland Browns there that week.

I guess you could say we were were vacationing like Pop Stars.

We were in same room set-up (even the picture above the sofa is the same), and I thought it would be fun for the boys and I to find something blue we could wrap around our chest and to pose for the same shot. But we didn't. :confused3

rs_634x1024-140327141335-634.Britney-Spears-Hawaii-Twitter.2.ms.032714.jpg

I really enjoyed your trip report! My family is going to Maui for 10 nights the end of May then over to Oahu and the Aulani for the last 4 nights. With the exception of my husband ( who went to the Big Island for 5 days a year ago), my kids and I have never been to HI. Did you rent or buy your snorkel equipment?

Loved your advice and tips!!

Kerry

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I really enjoyed your trip report! My family is going to Maui for 10 nights the end of May then over to Oahu and the Aulani for the last 4 nights. With the exception of my husband ( who went to the Big Island for 5 days a year ago), my kids and I have never been to HI. Did you rent or buy your snorkel equipment?

Loved your advice and tips!!

Kerry

We had room for a "free" checked bag, and so filled it with snorkel equipment.

If you plan only to snorkel close to shore, you could probably get by with just masks & snorkels. Fins are very nice, but we went out our last day without them, knowing we were going to stay within the relatively small lagoon, and did just fine.

And given the buoyancy of salt water, unless someone in your group is a nervous swimmer, even vests aren't really necessary.

You can buy cheap at ABC (they are everywhere), or a slightly better set at Costco. If you don't have the room, it would be easy enough to leave the sets you buy at ABC, but the Costco ones are nice enough that If I left them, I would want to make sure they went to a local who could use them.

We had room for a "free" checked bag, and so filled it with snorkel equipment.

If you plan only to snorkel close to shore, you could probably get by with just masks & snorkels. Fins are very nice, but we went out our last day without them, knowing we were going to stay within the relatively small lagoon, and did just fine.

And given the buoyancy of salt water, unless someone in your group is a nervous swimmer, even vests aren't really necessary.

You can buy cheap at ABC (they are everywhere), or a slightly better set at Costco. If you don't have the room, it would be easy enough to leave the sets you buy at ABC, but the Costco ones are nice enough that If I left them, I would want to make sure they went to a local who could use them.

Thanks for the tips!!

Kerry

Great trip report! The captions on many of the photos had me laughing :)

What a fantastic TR! I enjoyed all the insight, photos and tips. I love that you toured on your layovers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter