Aulani: Polynesian Cultural Center questions

Disney Dreams

Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Hi Everyone,

DH and I are going to Aulani/Oahu for our anniversary. We are trying to make all the of the pieces fit together and plan what we are going to do on each day.

We were planning on going to the Polynesian Cultural Center, spend time going to each of the different cultural areas (probably not the right term) and then attend the HA! show in the evening.

We thought that this was an all day experience and needed to allot the entire day to it.

We are wondering a few things from anyone who has been:
  • Do we actually need all day?
  • Did you enjoy the HA! show?
  • Did you also attend a luau elsewhere? (If so, where and would you go to that one again?)

Thanks,
Dreams (and DH)

Hi Everyone,

DH and I are going to Aulani/Oahu for our anniversary. We are trying to make all the of the pieces fit together and plan what we are going to do on each day.

We were planning on going to the Polynesian Cultural Center, spend time going to each of the different cultural areas (probably not the right term) and then attend the HA! show in the evening.

We thought that this was an all day experience and needed to allot the entire day to it.

• Did you also attend a luau elsewhere? (If so, where and would you go to that one again?)

Thanks,
Dreams (and DH)
The park normally opens at noon but it'll take you a couple of hours to get there. We normally stop at the Dole Plantation on the way up then have an early lunch in Haleiwa. It'll be a long day. It's a different setup than a Luau but the show is better and the food generally better. For Oahu, I would not do a separate Luau since they tend to be subpar compared to some on other islands. The entertainment book tends to have a BOFOF for regular admission which you can apply to a package (refund on arrival if paid ahead). Since it's assigned seating, I'd get with them by phone or email and get your tickets ahead of time so you can get a good seat without paying the higher price.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Dreams (and DH)

I would plan to spend the entire day there. I suggest having a large breakfast that morning since lunch options are limited at PCC and then you will be eating at the luau that evening. We left Aulani around 10am and took a leisurely drive through the H3 tunnel to the east side of the island followed by a scenic drive along the coast.

Plan to arrive by noon or shortly there after. Parking is $8. Think of PCC like a mini EPCOT. There are about 8 island villages located along a water canal. Most have a little show and/or artisans staffed by natives. I would highly recommend the entertaining and funny Samoa show. There is also a mid day water parade where all of the island nations are represented with music and dancing. Additionally you can take a boat ride along the canal and there is a 15 minute IMAX movie. There are different level packages dependent upon what you would like to see and do. We enjoyed a guided tour but you can visit the villages independently for less money.

We chose to update our dinner to the prime dining buffet and skipped the luau. We didnt feel that we lessened our experience by skipping the luau. (There is a also a luau two doors down the street from Aulani but we didnt try it.)

We enjoyed HA. Essentially it is a "circle of life" type show about the history of the islanders: birth, marriage, death, re-birth. We found that the second half of the show, after a 10 minute intermission, was better than the first half because it included the fire dancers.

The drive back to Aulani was a little over an hour on a well lit highway. We exited the PCC to the north, traveled along the north shore and then down throught the center of the island via the H2 expressway.

Enjoy.

I would plan to spend the entire day there. I suggest having a large breakfast that morning since lunch options are limited at PCC and then you will be eating at the luau that evening. We left Aulani around 10am and took a leisurely drive through the H3 tunnel to the east side of the island followed by a scenic drive along the coast.

Plan to arrive by noon or shortly there after. Parking is $8. Think of PCC like a mini EPCOT. There are about 8 island villages located along a water canal. Most have a little show and/or artisans staffed by natives. I would highly recommend the entertaining and funny Samoa show. There is also a mid day water parade where all of the island nations are represented with music and dancing. Additionally you can take a boat ride along the canal and there is a 15 minute IMAX movie. There are different level packages dependent upon what you would like to see and do. We enjoyed a guided tour but you can visit the villages independently for less money.

We chose to update our dinner to the prime dining buffet and skipped the luau. We didnt feel that we lessened our experience by skipping the luau. (There is a also a luau two doors down the street from Aulani but we didnt try it.)

We enjoyed HA. Essentially it is a "circle of life" type show about the history of the islanders: birth, marriage, death, re-birth. We found that the second half of the show, after a 10 minute intermission, was better than the first half because it included the fire dancers.

The drive back to Aulani was a little over an hour on a well lit highway. We exited the PCC to the north, traveled along the north shore and then down throught the center of the island via the H2 expressway.

Enjoy.

How late did you arrive back at Aulani?

If we arrived at 3 or 4PM, would that be enough time to experience what the cultural center has to offer, or do we need more time? What time does dinner start?

If we arrived at 3 or 4PM, would that be enough time to experience what the cultural center has to offer, or do we need more time? What time does dinner start?
IMO, no, I believe you'll really need the full 6 hours to truly experience the park.

When I called to inquire, I was told dinner was from 5:00-6:30. I was asking about the buffet dinner not the luau.

If you buy the HA tickets with a package (I believe it was ambasador package or something like that), you get a guided tour of the cultural areas, a spot for the float parade, and the luau before the HA performance. It's basically all inclusive, and we arrived a little after noon and got back home to Aulani around 10:30 PM. We had an early lunch at Ted's Bakery up along the North shore on our way up to PCC.:thumbsup2

I read their website and I'm still confused. Can we just visit the PCC, tour the islands and leave? If so what ticket should I buy? (I'm not interested in the luau.)
Or maybe the tour, and the night show without the dinner?

I wasn't really planning on going, but now it turns out one of our party really wants to go, but I need to control costs so don't figure I want to pay extra for a so so meal

I read their website and I'm still confused. Can we just visit the PCC, tour the islands and leave? If so what ticket should I buy? (I'm not interested in the luau.)
Or maybe the tour, and the night show without the dinner?

I wasn't really planning on going, but now it turns out one of our party really wants to go, but I need to control costs so don't figure I want to pay extra for a so so meal

Yes you can do exactly what youre suggesting - you don't need to buy the touring & dinner add-on package. The general admission ticket with touring by yourself was $50 in January. There was a BOGO coupon in the Entertainment Book.

Neil

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I bought the Entertainment Book online recently for $5.99, so that's a pretty good deal to get the BOGO coupon for the PCC. We're just planning on doing the daytime ticket and leaving after.

I bought the Entertainment Book online recently for $5.99, so that's a pretty good deal to get the BOGO coupon for the PCC. We're just planning on doing the daytime ticket and leaving after.

Is this coupon in a special Hawaii Entertainment Book, or one that can be bought on "mainland USA"? Thanks! Not 100% familiar with how Ent. Book works in terms of regions.

- Dreams

Is this coupon in a special Hawaii Entertainment Book, or one that can be bought on "mainland USA"? Thanks! Not 100% familiar with how Ent. Book works in terms of regions.

- Dreams

It's the Hawaii Entertainment Book. I bought it online for $5.99 a couple of months ago. We're going in October so since the books expire in November, it was heavily discounted. Not sure if they're still available.

It's the Hawaii Entertainment Book. I bought it online for $5.99 a couple of months ago. We're going in October so since the books expire in November, it was heavily discounted. Not sure if they're still available.

Thanks! Looks like they were available through July. Drat. Thanks for the info, though. :goodvibes

- Dreams

- Dreams
It can be bought. I have access to their coupon's through one of my other timeshares and through II.

It can be bought. I have access to their coupon's through one of my other timeshares and through II.

Hehe, I know it can be bought, but I was trying to find out if I have to buy the Hawaii book or if it will be in a book for my local area. Thanks. :). Sorry if my question was not clear.

Okay, so... one more question about this:
I'm looking on the site for the Entertainment book. I'm searching the Oahu, HI listings for the Polynesian Cultural Center / PCC and not finding it as being in the offers. Is it listed as something else? Thanks!

- Dreams

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter