Aulani Update

SplashMom

I have a whole new perspective on life!
We are going to Aulani for our first visit next month and I'm wondering if anyone has been there recently with an update. I thought most of the construction was supposed to be completed by mid 2013 and I was hoping it would be finished by the time we got there (last week of May). Anyone have any news?

Also, we are looking at some luaus and can't decide on one. Most of the reviews aren't great for the food at any. We are thinking we may pass on the luau if the Disney Hawaiin show is really good? Any feedback?

The constuction will not be completed next month. From what we were told in Feb & some of the updates it will be in the later summer months. You will not miss much at all since all the pools & slides with the exception of the pool area they are expanding are open and available. That area was under utilized and therefore the expansion is being done.

The Starlit Hui @ Aulani is a fantastic show which rivals that of a Luau that you pay for. Plus it's free! The food at the Luau's are not that great. Save your money and try to go at least once to the Startlit Hui. I think they perform on Mon. and Wed. The singers and entertainers are top notch performers. Make sure you go early & stay after to partake in activities. We will be there the last Mon & Tues in May and will definitely be going to the show.

If you have any other questions about Aulani or the surrounding area let me know.

The website calls the construction "enhancements" and says that it is now not scheduled to be done until late September. I was bummed to hear that also as when we booked for August it was supposed to be done in like June. They seem to be moving on island time with it. I did read this weekend that they've reopened the grills and I think the deck (outside seating) is open again at Ama Ama.

We've been to Hawaii several times and have done luaus on most trips. They are very expensive ($100+ pp) and if they're bad they're really bad and it sucks to pay that much for a bad meal / show. I have never done one on Oahu as none really get good reviews. We usually do them on Maui when we do our island hopping. We haven't decided yet if we're going to do one this August or not. Debating now tho because if we're going to do it we need to book it soon as the better ones sell out.

The Starlit Hui show seems to get good reviews but I don't think there's any drinks or food or anything offered so it would be a little different than a traditional luau. I think it's just a show. I don't even know how long it lasts. :confused3 But nice that it's free. I guess one could bring their own beverage maybe. :confused3

I am scheduled to arrive on November 2 and my confirmation email says:

"RESORT Information:
RESORT CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITY MAY BE VISIBLE DURING YOUR STAY"

So I think they are covering themselves in case things go past schedule again; which is pretty common with construction.

I hope they are done by September!

The website calls the construction "enhancements" and says that it is now not scheduled to be done until late September. I was bummed to hear that also as when we booked for August it was supposed to be done in like June. They seem to be moving on island time with it. I did read this weekend that they've reopened the grills and I think the deck (outside seating) is open again at Ama Ama.

We've been to Hawaii several times and have done luaus on most trips. They are very expensive ($100+ pp) and if they're bad they're really bad and it sucks to pay that much for a bad meal / show. I have never done one on Oahu as none really get good reviews. We usually do them on Maui when we do our island hopping. We haven't decided yet if we're going to do one this August or not. Debating now tho because if we're going to do it we need to book it soon as the better ones sell out.

The Starlit Hui show seems to get good reviews but I don't think there's any drinks or food or anything offered so it would be a little different than a traditional luau. I think it's just a show. I don't even know how long it lasts. :confused3 But nice that it's free. I guess one could bring their own beverage maybe. :confused3

The show itself lasts 30 minutes but they have pre show activities and a character dance party post show. I noticed some people arrived early and brought picnic dinners. You can definitely bring your own drinks.

I am scheduled to arrive on November 2 and my confirmation email says:

"RESORT Information:
RESORT CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITY MAY BE VISIBLE DURING YOUR STAY"

So I think they are covering themselves in case things go past schedule again; which is pretty common with construction.

I hope they are done by September!

The funny thing is they practically built the whole resort faster than what they're taking to do these "enhancements".

The show itself lasts 30 minutes but they have pre show activities and a character dance party post show. I noticed some people arrived early and brought picnic dinners. You can definitely bring your own drinks.

:thumbsup2 Thanks. Definitely not like going to a luau then but since it's free why not try to go one night. Do they start at dusk or something?

Anal Annie said:
The funny thing is they practically built the whole resort faster than what they're taking to do these "enhancements".

:thumbsup2 Thanks. Definitely not like going to a luau then but since it's free why not try to go one night. Do they start at dusk or something?

We just got in last night late so I haven't even begun to dig through photos, etc. I did keep a trip journal though so I am planning on a DIS trip report this week:) I took some pics of construction areas.

As for the starlit hui, the pre show started at 7:30 and the show was scheduled on our daily Ewa from 8-9. we actually didn't make it, as its only offered Tue and Thur. We were there sat-wed and then again Fri-sun. For the Tue showing we were still jet lagged and asleep by 8.

We did do the family movie night on Fri though which was fun:) I plan on scanning the Ewas for each day too so people can see how things are structured currently:)

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking we may pass on the luau because we really aren't sold on the food that is offered. We will do the show at Aulani and have dinner at Makahiki. It's a bit pricey but looks more like food we are comfortable with, lol. I'm hoping it's a bit similar to Chef Mickeys.

I have booked the spa for DD and I, and DS and DH are going to check out the golf course. We plan to do Diamond Head, the Dole Plantation, Pearl Harbour, and some beaches on the North Shore. That is everything we have planned...along with some serious R & R. We will be there for 12 nights so hopefully, we will be very relaxed when we return. Are we missing anything major?

Any recommendations on room locations? We have an Island Garden view but we really don't care too much. We won't be in our room that much.

We're here now and we were given the same information on the enhancements this morning at the Mahalo Members Meeting. The pool deck was over utilized so they are expanding into the area where the "quiet" pool (that wasn't quiet anyway) to take off some of the pressure from the main pool. That said, the construction work does not interfere with the Aulani experience. We are in Ewa Tower and I can see the construction site if I take the time to look for it.

The grills are open again as is the outside seating at Ama Ama.

We're here now and we were given the same information on the enhancements this morning at the Mahalo Members Meeting. The pool deck was over utilized so they are expanding into the area where the "quiet" pool (that wasn't quiet anyway) to take off some of the pressure from the main pool. That said, the construction work does not interfere with the Aulani experience. We are in Ewa Tower and I can see the construction site if I take the time to look for it.

The grills are open again as is the outside seating at Ama Ama.

Glad it's not interfering with your vaca. If they started this expansion last Nov. I still don't understand why it would take nearly a whole year to lay down some more concrete. It just doesn't seem like there is THAT much to do. I mean it's not even structural. It's not building. It's not room finishing. It's expanding a concrete area. I worked in a commercial construction company for 18 years and live in an area where construction happens overnight. The scope of this project has me baffled.:rolleyes1

Glad it's not interfering with your vaca. If they started this expansion last Nov. I still don't understand why it would take nearly a whole year to lay down some more concrete. It just doesn't seem like there is THAT much to do. I mean it's not even structural. It's not building. It's not room finishing. It's expanding a concrete area. I worked in a commercial construction company for 18 years and live in an area where construction happens overnight. The scope of this project has me baffled.:rolleyes1

I think there is more to these enhancements than just laying more concrete. When we were at Aulani in September, we talked to a CM who was one of the caretakers for the now-closed Sting Ray Encounter. He said there were underground pipes and filtration systems that would have to be modified when Disney closed the Sting Ray Encounter and replaced it with the new kids' splash zone. I suspect Disney had to redo a lot of its underground water systems to support not only the news kids' splash zone but also the brand new infinity pool. Not only did they have to expand the capacity of its aqua systems, it might have had to relocate parts of the existing systems in case they were laying concrete on the surface.

The CM caretaker told us there were holding areas underneath the ground for the Sting Rays. In fact, he left me with the impression there is a lot of Aulani underground that we don't see.

We loved Starlit Hui, and I thought it was one of the most authentic truly Hawaian (read not other polynesian) shows I've seen in the islands. I do have several videos I did of it if anyone is interested.

We are leaving Aulani today after being here for a week & the construction did not impact our enjoyment of the resort in any way.

The pool expansion seems to be quite major and yesterday a helicopter was flying in large pieces of rebar and other hunks of metal. It caused quite the excitement around the pool area & was neat to watch.

Our balcony overlooks where the Starlight Hui is performed, so we've seen it 3x. Heh. It's a good show and the crowd really enjoys it. I recommend getting there early, bring a picnic & some drinks & enjoy the preshow.

I agree that it goes beyond putting down concrete. And besides removing the Sting Ray experience they were expanding a couple other areas and adding some QS. They also did work at the buffet restaurant and the patio area below Ama Ama. Now could it have been done faster - probably - but they are changing quite a few things.

We are leaving Aulani today after being here for a week & the construction did not impact our enjoyment of the resort in any way.

The pool expansion seems to be quite major and yesterday a helicopter was flying in large pieces of rebar and other hunks of metal. It caused quite the excitement around the pool area & was neat to watch.

Our balcony overlooks where the Starlight Hui is performed, so we've seen it 3x. Heh. It's a good show and the crowd really enjoys it. I recommend getting there early, bring a picnic & some drinks & enjoy the preshow.

How early should we arrive to the show?

Here is my video of the finale.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u-v8ICr6UI

And here is the main hula that I just loved.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bx7wqv6pqg

And these guys were great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAJQoLhFjwA

Thank you so much for posting. The show looks amazing! I can't wait to see it in person. I originally had Polynesian Cultural Center tickets which costed almost $500.00 for the Luau and all day/evening ticket. After seeing your video's, I canceled my tickets. We would prefer to stay around the resort and enjoy our time, not to mention save the money or use it for something else. Looking forward to enjoying the Starlight Hui.

I agree that it goes beyond putting down concrete. And besides removing the Sting Ray experience they were expanding a couple other areas and adding some QS. They also did work at the buffet restaurant and the patio area below Ama Ama. Now could it have been done faster - probably - but they are changing quite a few things.

Is the Stingray Experience the snorkeling they had on property?

---Paul in Southern NJ ..... counting the days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter