Aulani updates and this is a little ridiculous

No way you slice it, it is a little bit of both HI and Disney’a fault. Hawaii for putting such restrictions on EVERY aspect and pretty much trying to kill tourism and Disney using the opportunity to “cut back” and blame it all on COVID there is no doubt Disney is using this across the board in the parks division. Just look at FASTPASS/Disney Genie+ etc etc etc. They stick it to the consumer and especially the loyal fans is VERY apparent. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a complete offload of AUL at some point (just my guess). I don’t like it one bit but I am an idiot and will keep giving my money and soul to the mouse. Started at 16 when I started working at the DLR and I still haven’t learned 🤣🤣🤣

No way you slice it, it is a little bit of both HI and Disney’a fault. Hawaii for putting such restrictions on EVERY aspect and pretty much trying to kill tourism and Disney using the opportunity to “cut back” and blame it all on COVID there is no doubt Disney is using this across the board in the parks division. Just look at FASTPASS/Disney Genie+ etc etc etc. They stick it to the consumer and especially the loyal fans is VERY apparent. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a complete offload of AUL at some point (just my guess). I don’t like it one bit but I am an idiot and will keep giving my money and soul to the mouse. Started at 16 when I started working at the DLR and I still haven’t learned 🤣🤣🤣
Genie was announced long before anyone had ever heard of COVID.

Also Genie was but I don’t think they had plans to kill FP. I think why it has taken so long to release is because they wanted to add the paid FP options
Nah the whole thing was planned. Only Park Pass is new.

Edit: And the new Annual Pass model.

Disney is making up for COVID like any other industry in America. Lumber, beef, etc. Except they are using it to make permanent changes that they have always wanted to make. They figure we are all socially numb to it now. Example: park reservation system here to stay forever.

Disney is making up for COVID like any other industry in America. Lumber, beef, etc. Except they are using it to make permanent changes that they have always wanted to make. They figure we are all socially numb to it now. Example: park reservation system here to stay forever.
Park reservation system is irrelevant once capacity is back to normal. Unless you're traveling Christmas week, just ignore it and book your reservation on the way to the parks each morning.

Like I said most people will just go with the flow and pay whatever $$$ Disney wants. I will continue going to Aulani and WDW and DLR but “a b@&$hin’ sailor is a happy sailor”

My wife and I own at Aulani and always have an amazing time. Of course, we don’t have kids, could care less about Auntie’s Beach House, never do photo pass, and stay away from touristy luaus. We usually spend our days either hanging at the beach or pool, going for walks around Ko Olina, or using our rental car to check out interesting hikes and explore the island.
Not being able to go to the gym is annoying but not a deal breaker. My hope is that everyone who is bothered by all these little things, and is letting them overshadow the fact that Hawaii is still pretty amazing, Covid restrictions or not, just stays away from Aulani!

Funny thing how a number of other HI and Oahu properties have figured out a way to return to their 2019 offerings .... It just seems to be Aulani de-contenting their product. Of course Disney hasn't done that anywhere else ... or is that everywhere else?
lol
What time of day did you try to do the Menehune trail? They have an indoor version and an outdoor version, and the outdoor version is only playable at night. Is it possible that's what you experienced?
We played the outdoor version during the day in 2017. Has this really changed since then, or was that temporary? Have friends going for Thanksgiving and would like to let them know.

We played the outdoor version during the day in 2017. Has this really changed since then, or was that temporary? Have friends going for Thanksgiving and would like to let them know.
Hm I did it in 2020 right before COVID and it was only at night. It seemed dependant on darkness for all of the light-up effects to work.

My wife and I own at Aulani and always have an amazing time. Of course, we don’t have kids, could care less about Auntie’s Beach House, never do photo pass, and stay away from touristy luaus. We usually spend our days either hanging at the beach or pool, going for walks around Ko Olina, or using our rental car to check out interesting hikes and explore the island.
Not being able to go to the gym is annoying but not a deal breaker. My hope is that everyone who is bothered by all these little things, and is letting them overshadow the fact that Hawaii is still pretty amazing, Covid restrictions or not, just stays away from Aulani!
And that is why I am still going. Hawaii is Hawaii and I plan on spending most days away from the resort. I figure out other ways to workout if need be and who needs aunties when my kids can get babysat for free at the adult pool now 🤣

Are you us? My husband and I (no kids) are here now (owners here too) and just hiked this morning and are now sitting in the chairs by ama ama waiting for the sunset drinking 🤣
I will say the gym closure is annoying especially when I saw the hotel down the way (not sure which one) had outdoor classes earlier this week when I was on my run - not too happy about that.

My wife and recently got back from 10 amazing days at Aulani. We will take the far fewer people for a closed gym and Aunties any day.

And seriously about the gym, and this comes from someone who works out 4-5 days a week…I don’t go to Hawaii to spend time indoors in a little gym.

I’d much rather be outside enjoying the amazing beauty of Hawaii every second we can.

And we had such a great time that we are on the hunt for more points to do two trips per year!

So let’s use the OP’s DVC drink for your scenario - not something directly tied to public health like masks. Which are obviously and exclusively about Covid.

Imagine this pizza place had a deal where if you buy 10 pizzas you get the 11th free and they scrap that and claim it’s “because of Covid”. Perfectly fine, legal and within their rights - but they are using Covid as an excuse to increase their profits and labeling “Covid” as cover. It’s kind of sleazy to use a pandemic that way.
But the profit margins pre-covid may have made it worth while (whereas now, to cover costs that have risen due to covid existing - they may not). Similarly, good (and services) cost more due to a number of things. The production of items costs more and takes longer. Fewer employees. Our world has changed and will continue concretely because of covid even if it isn't clear that it happens because a person at the business got sick with covid.

But the profit margins pre-covid may have made it worth while (whereas now, to cover costs that have risen due to covid existing - they may not). Similarly, good (and services) cost more due to a number of things. The production of items costs more and takes longer. Fewer employees. Our world has changed and will continue concretely because of covid even if it isn't clear that it happens because a person at the business got sick with covid.
Sure. But by that metric any decision any business makes can be Covid related. In the DVC drink example where the same drink is now offered only at full price it’s obviously a perk removed for fiscal reasons not health and safety. It’s like restructuring that annual pass system or adding an option to pay to skip the line - it’s meant to make money. And as I said above, they are completely within their rights to do that.

It’s like restructuring that annual pass system or adding an option to pay to skip the line - it’s meant to make money.
No, it's not like those things in the slightest.

Those things 1) are permanent and 2) were going to happen even if COVID never did.

The stuff we've been talking about at Aulani 1) are temporary and 2) never would have happened if not for COVID.

If we're sitting here two years from now and there's still no daily housekeeping or Auntie's Beach House offered at Aulani, then you might be on to something. But as far as we know, all of these changes are still temporary.

No, it's not like those things in the slightest.

Those things 1) are permanent and 2) were going to happen even if COVID never did.

The stuff we've been talking about at Aulani 1) are temporary and 2) never would have happened if not for COVID.

If we're sitting here two years from now and there's still no daily housekeeping or Auntie's Beach House offered at Aulani, then you might be on to something. But as far as we know, all of these changes are still temporary.
We were talking about the drink example so it’s exactly the same thing. Perks will almost certainly still be greatly reduced or removed. The adult pool will be questionable. Ama Ama will be “reimagined”. With things like Auntie’s or checking vaccination status there are 100% things going on for Covid public health currently, but to pretend they are not going to use this to cut things they have wanted to cut for a while is naive.

And I think if they thought they could cut Auntie’s they would - I bet it will be reimagined like DCL where you get X hours.

Personally as an Aulani DVC owner I feel our annual dues should be dropped significantly this coming year since many of the reasons we bought into Aulani aren’t even available but I am sure someone will argue as to why I am wrong but seriously where is my money going now?
DVC dues are set to pay for DVC specific items. If a amenity isn't open, its not generating costs that DVC members pay for in their dues. In that case any excess will offset next year's dues.

Right. And given the supply chain and labor availability issues we're facing now, and could face for several years, many companies are going to do this. What was profitable/break even before simply isn't now. The impact on an island like Hawaii is even more than what you may have in your home state. From what I understand this is a "secret" off-menu drink discount, not something published on the menu that they aren't honoring. Expect that a lot of pre-covid "deals" will be gone for a while, and I don't blame any business for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter