Australia Trip Report 2015

Sorry to hear about your wallet, but glad to hear you didn't let it ruin your trip. I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been.

I'm glad to hear that you got to go kayaking. Our group didn't get to go due to the waves in the water. It played havoc with the rest of our day there; we ended up hiking in the morning and then having a delicious lunch. We then had all afternoon free. It is such an isolated area there wasn't much to do so a few of us hiked along the beach to see if we could make it to the small town (we didn't, but were probably very close). Then we went to see the penguins come in to shore at night (it was interesting, but certainly not worthy of the 1.5 hours they stretched it into; plus dd and I and 1 other family had to go with a group of local tourists while everyone else stayed in the ABD group - not much fun for us). We got back late, so our dinner was really late (I think around 7:30 or 8:00), so they cancelled the JA night :((

I do agree that Tasmania is one place I'd love to visit again. It is a very special place.

Those views are just amazing! It looks like winter clothing is needed for this trip, am I right?

Definitely winter clothes are needed especially in Tasmania! Up in Cairns and out at Uluru I thought the weather was ideal. If you went during their summer it would be considerably hotter. But the trade off is Sydney and Tasmania were chilly.

Beautiful! Glad you were able to kayak. I love that.

Sorry about your wallet. That's one of my traveling nightmares. Glad it didn't impact your trip too much!

Sayhello

More great pictures! Sorry about the wallet, though. At least you didn't lose your passports as well!

Sorry to hear about your wallet, but glad to hear you didn't let it ruin your trip. I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been.

I'm glad to hear that you got to go kayaking. Our group didn't get to go due to the waves in the water. It played havoc with the rest of our day there; we ended up hiking in the morning and then having a delicious lunch. We then had all afternoon free. It is such an isolated area there wasn't much to do so a few of us hiked along the beach to see if we could make it to the small town (we didn't, but were probably very close). Then we went to see the penguins come in to shore at night (it was interesting, but certainly not worthy of the 1.5 hours they stretched it into; plus dd and I and 1 other family had to go with a group of local tourists while everyone else stayed in the ABD group - not much fun for us). We got back late, so our dinner was really late (I think around 7:30 or 8:00), so they cancelled the JA night :((

I do agree that Tasmania is one place I'd love to visit again. It is a very special place.

Thanks everyone. The loss didn't affect us much. Just frustrating.

There was talk about them canceling our day of kayaking as well, but I guess the waves calmed enough. It was a difficult for me at times, but I knew that going into it as Gavin wouldn't be able to add a lot too our paddling team. I'm glad we did it and would recommend doing it for future adventurers.

Day 10 - Freycinet to Hobart (Tasmania)

This morning we travelled by bus from Freycinet up north to Hobart down south. It was a long drive, but we were making three great stops along the way.

The first stop was Kate's Berry Farm. Fruit and wine seem to be a big focus in Tasmania. Kate came onto the bus and explained her story of how she got started and invited us in for jam and scones or ice cream. Everything was homemade and amazingly good. Gavin got blueberry ice cream and I got the scones with jam. They had many jams to choose from and they were all incredible. Most of us bought a selection of jams to take home. It was a fun and picturesque stop.

Next up was a vineyard. It was a beautiful setting, and we had a great lunch. It was a little odd though that wine was not included at lunch. Maybe it's just me. I love wine. So, I ordered a glass. However, they did have a tasting after lunch and that was included. Our host offered up a sparkling, riesling, and pinot noir. I think our host saw we were all having a great time so she offered to get one more bottle of our choice. We chose a cabernet. They were all delicious. While the adults were tasting the local Tasmanian wines, the JA's were tasting chocolate. Afterwards most people went outside to run around and play games - the adults included. It was a great stop.

Lastly, we stopped at a Wildlife Rescue center where they rescue and rehabilitate many different animals - almost all of which are classic Tasmanian animals. We saw, wombats, Tasmanian devils, and many more. The highlight was seeing the Kangaroos. There were so many, and it was such a pretty landscape. We saw many joey's crawling in and out of pouches and just hanging out. We had a chance to feed them. It was really incredible.

We arrived in Hobart in the early evening. The hotel was nice and centrally located. We all had views overlooking the harbor. Dinner was on our own. So, Gavin and I took the guides recommendations and went to this fish and chips place by the harbour. Basically it was a counter service houseboat. They had many different selections of fish to make up your fish and chips. We randomly picked two and they were both delicious. We brought it back to the room, watched a movie and chilled.

Tomorrow is the last day!

I also added a few photos from Suzamber's cameras a couple of days ago during the zip lining.

Wow!! It seems like your trip just gets better and better (minus the lost wallet, of course). This trip is a definite must do for me. Now I just need to get my husband to take time off of work to do it! Hopefully in the next couple of years.

Great zipline pics..and who can resist a kangaroo selfie?? :-)

Day 11 - Hobart

We had the morning and early afternoon on our own. There's a market every Saturday in Hobart which we went to. It was good as far as street markets go. We probably spent an hour or more wandering through the market. There's not a lot else in Hobart to do as far as I know. We were getting cold so we decided to find somewhere to eat inside. We ended up finding a nice seafood restaurant where Gavin got fish and chips again and I got a salad with fresh scallops. Both were great. We rested a bit in the room until our meeting time of 3:00 rolled around.

We met in the lobby and boarded the coach heading down to Port Arthur. It was a long drive, but I felt it was worth it. We arrived just before dark (it gets dark early down here). Port Arthur was essentially a prison complex in the 19th century where some of the worst criminals were sent. It's also reported to be very haunted. We were given 45 minutes or so to look around the museum. They give you a playing card (2 of clubs, 5 of spades, etc.) to connect you to a particular criminal that you can track around the museum to see what their/your fate was. It was a lot of fun. My guy was 17 and refused to read or go to school, burned his books and was generally a pain - not exactly a hardened criminal. He was sent to Port Arthur. I would have liked more time in the museum and some time to walk around the grounds while it was still daylight, but we were to meet for a ghost tour just as it got dark.

We had never been on a ghost tour before so it's impossible for me to compare it to anything. I was worried it would be like walking through a haunted house where actors jump out and startle you. We're not into that. That's why I've never been on a ghost tour before, but we put our trust into ABD and away we went. Our guide was wonderful. He had a great demeanor. He wasn't over the top. He certainly was convincing that he believed in the stories he was relaying. They handed out 4 or 5 gas lanterns to the group and we all walked from site to site around Port Arthur. One of the highlights was walking into a ruin of a church with no roof. It was dark, so you could see the stars up above you from inside the walls of the church. It was beautiful. Most of the adults were staring up at the sky for a while rather than focusing on our guide. The spots he took us got progressively creepier as time went on. We entered a home of sorts where someone lived and saw some ghosts. And we eventually made it to one of the prison cell blocks where again ghosts had been recently spotted. Thankfully we did not see any ghosts. And even more thankfully, no actors snuck up behind us to yell boo! I enjoyed it actually. I don't feel the need to do another ghost tour anytime soon, but I'm glad ABD had it, and it was a beautiful night to do it on. Stars in the sky for once. Who would have thought?

We then went to our private reception area where we had our final dinner. Suzamber played a fun trivia game and we did some of the typical things you do at the end of the ABD. It was a fun night. Dinner was quite good as well. One thing I think ABD does very well is their final dinner and activity. Ours have always been so unique and so different from one another. France ended in a private room in the Louvre overlooking Paris after closing, SE Asia had a beautiful evening outdoors with Cambodian dancers, China ended at HKDL with fireworks, Backstage Magic ended at the Carthay Circle and World of Color, and now Australia ends with a ghost tour in a historic complex underneath a beautiful sky. Incidentally, it's also one of the most southern places on Earth to visit. Parts of New Zealand, and the tip of S America, and a few random small islands beat it on the way to Antarctica.

It was a great evening. It would have been nice to visit Port Arthur earlier in the day, but maybe that would have lessoned the affect of the ghost tour. We made it back to Hobart and at that point it was late in the evening, and we were exhausted.

Our last morning in Australia along with final thoughts up next...

That Ghost tour sounds great! I've done a couple (one in Nova Scotia & one in Edinburgh) and I agree they can be fun.

This trip just sounds amazing!

Sayhello

Day 12 - Hobart to Houston

We made it through Australia! Thankfully we had an early afternoon flight and didn't have to wake up too early. We saw a couple of families at breakfast and said our goodbyes. And Suzanne and Amber saw us off. What can I say? We've had amazing guides on all our ABD's, and Suzamber was no exception. They made up a perfect team.

Australia was a great ABD. I know it doesn't get a lot momentum here on the boards, probably because it's a long flight and a long trip, but it's worth putting on your list. I asked Gavin if he has a favorite (out of France, SE Asia, China and Australia) and he said, "They're all my favorite." I'm tempted to say the same, but I'd probably have to give an edge to Australia. It's just a cool place to visit. Tasmania was awesome to end in. I'd love to see New Zealand included somehow either as a part of the Australia ABD or as a separate ABD altogether. That will be next on my list in this region.

As for Gavin and I, we are planning on going to Germany next year. A little closer compared to the Asian/Australian ones from the last few years. And my DW and I are headed to the Ireland adults only ABD next month. I'm definitely looking forward to that. Thanks for following along everyone. Cheers!

Awesome trip report!! Thanks so much for sharing your amazing experiences with us and allowing us to tag along on your vacation! Australia is on the top of my list and it will happen in the next couple of years. It is a long way to travel, but the experience would definitely be worth it. I'm so glad that you both had such a great time and I look forward to hearing about your Ireland trip (if you plan on doing another trip report)

When I think about it, that day from Freycinet to Hobart was really amazing; maybe one of the best days (it's so hard to pick just one in particular). I'm glad to see you had the same guide that we did holding the wombat *sigh*. He seemed to me to be the quintessential Australian man.

Isn't that song "Home Among the Gum Trees" catchy? A sheep or two and a kangaroo ....

You are going to love Ireland. I was there 20 years ago -- it's such an enchanting place to visit.

When I think about it, that day from Freycinet to Hobart was really amazing; maybe one of the best days (it's so hard to pick just one in particular). I'm glad to see you had the same guide that we did holding the wombat *sigh*. He seemed to me to be the quintessential Australian man.

Isn't that song "Home Among the Gum Trees" catchy? A sheep or two and a kangaroo ....

You are going to love Ireland. I was there 20 years ago -- it's such an enchanting place to visit.

Just for you, Groupie ;)

And here's a couple of links of the "Homes Among the Gum Trees" song and dance... Makes me long for Australia....

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter