Avatar Flight of Passage - Motion Sickness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have motion sickness issues and had no problem with FOP. I can't do Mission Space and I have to close my eyes through much of Star Tours, but Soarin and FOP don't bother me at all.

Your individual vehicle doesn't move off the floor, but the entire floor moves up and down a good 8-10 feet. There is a lot more up and down movement than Soarin' and it happens a lot more quickly.

The up and down 8 to 10 feet is what gives you that drop feeling in your stomach.

What about claustrophobia? I do get motion sick, but can handle Star Tours. I read that the ride can be claustrophobic feeling, but I think I will be fine as long as my face and upper body is not enclosed in a tiny space. What are your thoughts if you have been on the ride or see videos?

I have motion sickness issues and had no problem with FOP. I can't do Mission Space and I have to close my eyes through much of Star Tours, but Soarin and FOP don't bother me at all.

Let me preface by saying I get sick when I turn my head too fast --- just got off FOP. No probs at all --- best ride is longest!!

If you can handle Star Tours and Soarin', you should be OK on FOP. You might be in the situation where you are "right on the edge" as you are with Star Tours, but I think you should be OK to try it at least once.

I'm in a similar boat as you in that I can't do Mission Space, but Star Tours and Soarin' are OK for me (mostly). I was OK to ride FOP once, but when DH wanted to go a second time in a row, I told him he had to do that on is own. :) As someone else here mentioned, there is a breeze blowing in your face, so that helps a bit. Someone else recommended closing your eyes, but I would only do that if you really really started getting sick. The scenery on the screen really is amazing.

Best of luck!

What about claustrophobia? I do get motion sick, but can handle Star Tours. I read that the ride can be claustrophobic feeling, but I think I will be fine as long as my face and upper body is not enclosed in a tiny space. What are your thoughts if you have been on the ride or see videos?
I think you should be OK on the ride itself. The rooms that you have to go through to get there are smaller than the room that the ride is in. The room that the ride is in is fairly spacious. They get you in and going pretty quick, so you hopefully won't have much time to look around at the room and worry too much about it.

I think you should be OK on the ride itself. The rooms that you have to go through to get there are smaller than the room that the ride is in. The room that the ride is in is fairly spacious. They get you in and going pretty quick, so you hopefully won't have much time to look around at the room and worry too much about it.

Yea, I didn't feel claustrophobic at all --- our 6 yr old was petrified, but wants to ride all day now- it really is amazing !!

I have motion sickness issues, especially when viewing films that swoop and soar, or when airplanes dip, drop or move around a lot. The first time I rode FoP I had taken a Benadryl. I heard that it reduced anxiety, and I was worried about that. I kept my eyes open the entire flight, but did feel sick and I was really glad when it was over. I was shaky and had to rest a bit.

I wanted to go on it one my time and thought that if I closed my eyes, then I could handle it. Well, that didn't work. Even though my eyes were closed all the movement of the floor tilting, dipping, rising and lowering made me very sick. I tried looking toward the edge of the film so that I could see the people in the other room. That didn't help. The motion was too much for me. I should have taken some Dramamine but I thought this would work.

I just can't handle this ride. :(

When I started going on Soarin I felt sick when riding on level 1, but less sick on level 3. Over time I reached a point where I could ride on any level without feeling sick. Then they changed the screen and I felt sick the first few times but again adjusted with repeat exposure. I can ride Star Tours once and I feel a little off afterwards but it passes quickly when I'm back outside. Once I stupidly tried doing Star Tours three times in a row. I couldn't even make it to the gift shop. I didn't puke, but spent a long time on the benches of shame holding my head and wishing I could just die and get it over with. At Universal I use Dramamine when I go on Gingott's or Mummy. I have never tried Forbidden Journey.

So when I was able to score an AP preview, I went prepared with Dramamine on board and sea bands. I loved the ride. There is one point where the banshee stimulates a roll that made me a little sick, but the ride is so good it was worth it. During the previews it was a walk on. I was able to go on 4 times.

I keep reading about Sea Bands which are supposed to be a good alternative to drowsy medication. Anyone had an experience with it?

On my second ride I tried riding without the sea bands. Bad decision. I always wondered if they worked and now I know that they work for me.

On the third trip I tried closing my eyes when the banshee stimulates a roll. It was worse with my eyes closed. On the fourth trip the stimulated roll barely bothered me at all. I'm going back in August and I plan to bring the sea bands. I'm not sure if I'll use the Dramamine since I hate that drugged drowsy feeling.

I'm going back in August and I plan to bring the sea bands. I'm not sure if I'll use the Dramamine since I hate that drugged drowsy feeling.
As a former commercial fisherman in Alaska who has terrible motion sickness, take my advice. Use Bonine/Meclazine. SERIOUSLY. It is so much better than Dramamine. No drowsiness, just a little foggy feeling in the head. I have been taking this drug since the late Eighties and cannot say enough good things about its effectiveness.

As a former commercial fisherman in Alaska who has terrible motion sickness, take my advice. Use Bonine/Meclazine. SERIOUSLY. It is so much better than Dramamine. No drowsiness, just a little foggy feeling in the head. I have been taking this drug since the late Eighties and cannot say enough good things about its effectiveness.

Good to know....I'll try it. Thanks!

When I started going on Soarin I felt sick when riding on level 1, but less sick on level 3. Over time I reached a point where I could ride on any level without feeling sick. Then they changed the screen and I felt sick the first few times but again adjusted with repeat exposure. I can ride Star Tours once and I feel a little off afterwards but it passes quickly when I'm back outside. Once I stupidly tried doing Star Tours three times in a row. I couldn't even make it to the gift shop. I didn't puke, but spent a long time on the benches of shame holding my head and wishing I could just die and get it over with. At Universal I use Dramamine when I go on Gingott's or Mummy. I have never tried Forbidden Journey.

So when I was able to score an AP preview, I went prepared with Dramamine on board and sea bands. I loved the ride. There is one point where the banshee stimulates a roll that made me a little sick, but the ride is so good it was worth it. During the previews it was a walk on. I was able to go on 4 times.

On my second ride I tried riding without the sea bands. Bad decision. I always wondered if they worked and now I know that they work for me.

On the third trip I tried closing my eyes when the banshee stimulates a roll. It was worse with my eyes closed. On the fourth trip the stimulated roll barely bothered me at all. I'm going back in August and I plan to bring the sea bands. I'm not sure if I'll use the Dramamine since I hate that drugged drowsy feeling.

This is really helpful. Thanks for your advice on this. I think my decision has been made; Sea Band it is :thumbsup2

I have started to get a little motion sickness. Dizzy after Everest, etc. I took a dramamine, and was fine. I just can't handle that forbidden ride at the "other" park.

I've been on FOP 2x. Let me say I was terrified the first time. Anxious, sure I would puke, and tried to chicken out before the cast member talked me into trying it. If it wasn't for that wonderful cast member talking me down from my anxiety attack, I would have never gotten on it. Kudos to her! I prepared well - bonine, seabands, a gallon ziplock in my pocket in case of motion sickness. I was terrified (I have puked on rides before). Good news, I MADE IT! And, I LOVED IT! The second time was even more awesome because I knew I wouldn't get sick (same preparations minus barf bag). I find leaning forward just adds to the experience (was worried about constriction/claustrophobia as well in advance, not a problem).

Rides I can do: Splash, TOT, BTMM, Dinosaur, Kali River Rapids, 7DMT, Test Track, Soarin'
Rides I have done and will not do again: Star Tours (have been many times, but finally decided I'm done with the nausea), Expedition Everest, Space (also done a lot, but I'm done), tea cups, Primeval Whirl, Mission Space (so brutal for me that my entire family no longer goes on that ride due to flashbacks of my panic attack). Harry Potter (I barely made it out alive).
Ride I have not done: Rock & roller coaster. Nope. Love Aerosmith, but can't do it.

This thread is of great interest to me as I'm also worried about suffering motion sickness on this ride. Mines a bit odd through as I'm never actually sick on anything, I just feel ill because I think I'm going to be sick which then panics me! :confused3 I keep reading about Sea Bands which are supposed to be a good alternative to drowsy medication. Anyone had an experience with it?

My family uses Sea Bands on cruises, flights and car drives and they are life savers!! We swear by them. But we haven't been on FOP yet, so I can't comment on that. We'll be there in 2 weeks :yay: so I'll let you know what our experience is.

I usually dont get motion sick on anything other than playing some sim racing games on my projector for long periods of time but FOP make me queasy. The resolution on the screen was higher than star tours which should have helped but in my opinion the 3d was blurry especially if you moved your head at all. Maybe the glasses didnt fit me right but I had that vr blurry feeling where the refresh rate of the projector wasnt high enough to keep me from feeling bad afterwards. Great ride but those are my two cents.

Your individual vehicle doesn't move off the floor, but the entire floor moves up and down a good 8-10 feet. There is a lot more up and down movement than Soarin' and it happens a lot more quickly.

:scared1:
first i've heard of this. Thx for info

Soarin I am fine with
Mission Space Negative
Star Tours cant do it, only did it twice. Once when it originally opened and once after it changed that's it
I get queezy on EE only when we go backwards
FOP I rode 3 times and would ride continuously no sickness at all, its not an enclosed space like MS or ST. Its cool and refreshing not jerky really smooth. Its just a great ride. If you are concerned though go for the Bonine

Can someone about 7 months pregnant ride it without fear of the ride causing an injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter