Avoiding those high-cost nights

ransom

DIS Veteran
What's your favorite way to avoid using up your DVC points by using them for Friday and Saturday nights?

I plan to "accidentally" fall asleep on the beach at the Poly.

If that doesn't work, I'll just hide in a wheel well of one of the buses, like those clever people have been doing with air planes lately.

How about you?

When we lived in PA we never cared about the higher weekend points. We looked at it as the cost for a week.

Now that we are living in Orlando we stay Sunday to Friday.

I book a room through CRO using my AP or I stay at Universal Studios using my Ap discount. Two vacations in one. We have done the latter twice and really are enjoying this.

What's your favorite way to avoid using up your DVC points by using them for Friday and Saturday nights?

If that doesn't work, I'll just hide in a wheel well of one of the buses, like those clever people have been doing with air planes lately.

How about you?

You can always camp out in the Iron Spike room. There is a window seat in there that could serve as a bed. :lmao:

We used to stay at USF/IOA and probably will start again when we get our APs there. And sometimes we stay at Dixie Landings. I still love that resort. We did stay in a studio for 4 of an 8 night DVC stay once, but we don't usually stay that long.

My past vacations have been Fri-Fri

Fri-Sun is at Pop and Sun-Fri BCV

We are finding ourselves booking at other non-DVC resorts such as POR or CSR for the weekend nights.

What are the AP rates like at Universal? Is it a big difference?

I plan on going offsite on weekends most of the time, Sea World, Universal or the beach.

I typically try to get an AP rate at a moderate if not then I will settle for (gulp) Pop, but I'm never really happy about it. I just bought some additional points though so I may just stay for the weekends now.

How about you?

:lmao:
After hanging out at the poly pool bar for too long....
Falling asleep on the poly beach.....might be a necessity:dance3:
Kerri

onsite @ U, this year the dates I monitored over prime-time summer, AAA was far less than the AP rates were...least expensive room @ RPR was approx. $220 night, inclusive. Can't beat that FOTL & it's not too out of the realm when you consider the weekend point costs @ DVC or even cash rates @ the values

I have given up trying to only use week days points, just too eager to arrive on Saturday;) ; and i refuse to pack up & change accomodations more than twice. Booking Sat. thru Weds DVC - then move on over to U for 3 nights & returning home early evening Sunday works for us.:thumbsup2

I bought DVC so I wouldn't have to pay cash. I use my points on weekends especially long weekends (Thurs or Fri to Mon or Tues).

Cyn

We plan to arrive on Saturday and stay in a hotel close by since that is the day we drive down. That evening we can hit DTD and get that out of our system. Then stay in the villas Sun-Fri. We will drive home on Friday or stay offsite and visit other things. Save the points and make another trip or two the same year, again Sun-Fri.

We minimize weekend points on our 10-12 night trips by arranging our arrival and departure times to only include 1 weekend instead of 2.

Okay it looked like a double post but apparently not. In the past I've chosen to stay six nights so I only have one weekend night. If its more than six nights I'll split the stay with the weekend in a value or moderate or even offsite.

We're willing to spend the points for one weekend night, but not two. So we arrive and spend one night in a value resort. But we pack a single bag (for the four of us) for that one night. We've done this on our last 4-5 trips, and it's worked out very well.

A couple of times, instead of doing the value resort, we've stayed at WL of AKL -- our two favorite resorts -- using AP discounts.

We tend to make our stays 5 days Sun-Thur. We take the autotrain back forth from VA to Fla (which we really enjoy) so we hop the train on Sat and get back home on Fri. Otherwise, we have paid cash to add Fri and/or Sat. Once we paid points, at Vero, so it wasn't such a bad hit.

We stay 10 days, and we go Sunday-Wednesday so it's only over one weekend.

Just curious, for those of you that move mid-way through your trip, do you find it takes away from your park time to pack up and move every few days? We end up buying so much stuff we usually have to buy a new suitcase to get home and even then it takes us a whole night to fit everything! :headache:

I'm a firm believer in using points on Friday and Saturday. It's still a good deal, just not as good as weekdays.

If you are consistently paying cash for weekends you will be better off purchasing more points instead.
If it's only once in a while, than of course it's better to pay cash for weekends and use points for weekdays. :smokin:

MG

Our first stay will be Sunday-Friday. We don't plan to use points on weekends. In the future, if we stay on a weekend, we will drive down and spend the weekend at another park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter