Back Home From the Emerald Isle

AndreaJ

Earning My Ears
We just got home today, and all I can say is WOW! The trip was wonderful, and our guides, Courtney and Sarah, were AMAZING! My DD had tears in her eyes as we lifted off from Shannon - she did not want to leave :sad: Since Poppins2000 did such a thorough and detailed trip report, I think it best that I answer any questions that anyone might have. All I can say it that if you are planning to go on this tour, you will not be disappointed! :)

Andrea,
I am so glad to hear that you and DD had such a marvelous time (I knew you would!). It's been over a month and DH and I are STILL in Irish mode. I actually made scones today (for the first time ever!) while listening to our Irish pub music CD. Did you not find the country beautiful and the people so friendly? I can't wait to go back!!

Glad to hear that you had a great trip...
Looking for our documents everyday now... :banana:

Either of you knowledgeable about rental cars in Ireland?

Poppins2000 - I have never seen so many shades of green in my life! The people are wonderful and welcoming, and the scenic drives are spectacular - I throught I was dreaming! We are definitely going back!

I have a question for either one of you. How much time was spent on the bus?
Did you feel like you spent much of the trip going from one place to another?
Thanks!

Not really. The longest we ever stayed on the bus at one time without a stop was a little over two hours - that happened twice; from Cashel to Killarney and from Inch beach to the town of Adare. Both times they popped in a Disney movie and handed out drinks and snacks which made the time go by quick for the younger ones. Most of the adults, if they weren't watching the movie, napped or enjoyed the scenic drive.

Sorry - can't help you with the rental car question DionysiusP!

I also don't know about the rental car - bear in mind that they drive on the opposite side of the road and the driver is in the front right seat. All of the cars were small - no SUV's! :)

I really enjoyed my time on the bus - John, our driver, was great! He had to navigate some really twisty narrow roads! I loved the scenery - did not even bother to watch the movies - did not want to miss a thing!

I'm so glad you guys had a good time! We're hoping to do this tour next fall! I can't wait!!

Will ABD pick you up at the airport at any time? We want to go on this tour next year and combine it with a month vacation in southern Portugal. Flights from the Algarve into Dublin arrive at 11 p.m. Does anyone know if that will be a problem?

Also, does ABD give out pins? Is there pin-trading happening?

How much extra $ per person is necessary for this trip? (meals, tips, etc.) We are a family of 5 and I'm trying to budget what it might cost. I hope we can get the early booking bonus and the prices don't go up too much. I'm so worried because of the high fuel costs. Also, being Canadian I don't have any idea what our dollar is going to be like so I have to put a buffer in for that!

Extra days in Dublin or Shannon? Cost?

All help would be appreciated.

Did you

We arrived early in the day, around 9:00 am and had no problem with ABD picking us up. Check in time at the Westin Hotel was 2:00 pm, but one room was ready when we arrived at the hotel. We had to wait a couple of hours for our other room to be ready. We spent on average about $25 - $35 euros per person per day (there were 4 of us). We did not buy a lot of things - just simple items like t-shirts, mugs, etc. We did, however, buy claddagh rings for our 2 children. The exchange rate was depressing! If we had to do it all over again, I think it would have been nice to stay an extra day or 2 in Shannon - the castle and grounds were beautiful!

So, for a family of 5 we're looking at about $2000? Plus tips? Which is about $500. Sigh. I think we might be getting priced out here. If we add a night or two in Dublin,we probably need another $1000 minimum a day. This year the flights from Portugal would cost us almost $4500.

Sigh. I was hoping the whole trip would be less than $20,000, but it looks like that isn't likely.

I'm afraid so. These trips are definitely not cheap. We had to save up for a while before we could go. Some people on our tour used DVC points. We are not members, so that did not apply to us. What helped a little was that my husband was able to use his frequent flyer miles, so we were able to get two plane tickets for free. Yes, it is an expensive trip, but it was a trip that we will never forget!

I'm hoping to travel to Ireland next year (or sooner) - so I'm eager to read all about anyone and everyone's adventure.

Poppins2000 is there a link to your trip report somewhere?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter