Back pack or fanny pack?

SKYYCAMEL

Mouseketeer
I'm just curious what everyone uses to carry their stuff around in the parks. It's just me and the wife, so it won't be that much (camera/phone, water bottle sunscreen etc). I know fanny packs aren't the best looking things, but they're so darn convenient. We've also considered a smaller over the shoulder pack. What do you use?

backpack! ive had mine for way too long though, im practically attached to mine. its also better for carrying larger items like ponchos, water, suncsreen. can hold a lot more.

My last couple of trips (whether I was solo or with my partner) I carried around one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ICK8U2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked out okay, but the outside pockets didn't carry much, so it ended up just being a purse with no zipper. Now that that's getting a little ragged, I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PW51AQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems like it's a lighter, smaller backpack, and should work out pretty good for me, I hope. I'll be trying it out in June and taking my old park back as a backup.... but yeah, I can't bring myself to wear a fannypack.

Definately backpack. I carry everything for the 3 of us. depending on the day, it could have a Poncho, water bottles, flip flops to change into on rainy days, extra shirts (in case it's hot & sweaty), etc . Can't fit that in fanny packs. (plus they went out of style like 20 years ago, lol)

Fanny pack for me. :-) I use a Kipling (which I purchased based on recommendations here on the Dis!) and love it. I prefer the fanny pack over a backpack for a couple of big reasons:

*No lower-back sweat from a backpack pressing against my back and preventing air flow
*Accessibility to items in the fanny pack, instead of having to take a backpack partially or completely off in order to grab an item from inside
*I also visit the Universal parks, and a three-pronged fanny pack is allowed on all but three rides there.... prevents me from having to put items in a locker for most rides! :-)
*Even though lockers aren't required for any Disney rides, I still feel like my belongings are more secure when they're in my fanny pack, attached to me, instead of being in a backpack wedged between my feet (or wherever it will fit, LOL!)

I just don't like how fanny packs look :crazy2:, so that keeps me away even if they were more convenient than a backpack.

It's been backpack for us, but with a family of 5 I need it.

Dan

Fanny pack. I only carry a lip balm, my id, my regular glasses and phone. Hubby is nice enough to wear it for me. LOL

For me, I would prefer a fanny pack because when I'm in an amusement park, I like to travel light. I once lived very near Kings Island in Ohio. Whenever I would go there, I always kept everything in my pockets. It's different there, though, because I would never be staying for a whole day, so usually one application of sunscreen would take care of me. Plus, there is not as much of the threat of rain. If you can comfortably fit everything in your pockets, consider that, because you wont have to go through bag check. And if not, go with a smaller, lighter bag. Whatever will be most comfortable/convenient.

Fanny pack for me. :-) I use a Kipling (which I purchased based on recommendations here on the Dis!) and love it. I prefer the fanny pack over a backpack for a couple of big reasons:

*No lower-back sweat from a backpack pressing against my back and preventing air flow
*Accessibility to items in the fanny pack, instead of having to take a backpack partially or completely off in order to grab an item from inside
*I also visit the Universal parks, and a three-pronged fanny pack is allowed on all but three rides there.... prevents me from having to put items in a locker for most rides! :-)
*Even though lockers aren't required for any Disney rides, I still feel like my belongings are more secure when they're in my fanny pack, attached to me, instead of being in a backpack wedged between my feet (or wherever it will fit, LOL!)
Thanks for the link to the fanny pack. That one looks interesting! I have one I usually use, but I'm thinking of getting a different one. If I could ask you a few questions about it... Does this one stick out very far from you body when full and used as a fanny pack? I don't want this huge lump/hump haha! Does it stay in place pretty good when walking? And does it sag down very much? Some have problems of getting kind of weighed down and hanging. (too much weight hurts my back) Thanks!!!!

nobody is paying attention to you, they are at disney. bring what your comfortable with that fits what your carrying around.

I have a collection of bags but I also bring cameras around and what camera will change by what I'm doing. My smallest is sold as a tablet bag which can hold 3 16 oz waters no problem and still has some small pockets for other things I might need.

my daughter tends to bring her own bag and again there's a few of them, some just enough to hold phone and maybe something else to a backpack.. again it depends what we're doing and how hands free we want to be. water is never a reason to bring the bag as we'll just carry in a bottle and refill it with free ice water and at some point toss the bottle out and jut go with the free water.

Backpack for me. Mine is lightweight and small (would not fit the stuff my kids carry to and from school). I'm not sure my water bottle would fit into a fannypack. I don't care for the way fannypacks look (even though I'm not especially stylish!) but they would be cooler than a backpack. If my water bottle fit, I'd probably go with a fannypack at least in summer.

Does this one stick out very far from you body when full and used as a fanny pack? I don't want this huge lump/hump haha! Does it stay in place pretty good when walking? And does it sag down very much? Some have problems of getting kind of weighed down and hanging. (too much weight hurts my back) Thanks!!!!

*It does stick out... but I haven't found it to get in the way of my normal activities/movements.
*It stays in place very well. It doesn't bounce or sag at all, in my experience.

For me, I would prefer a fanny pack because when I'm in an amusement park, I like to travel light. I once lived very near Kings Island in Ohio. Whenever I would go there, I always kept everything in my pockets. It's different there, though, because I would never be staying for a whole day, so usually one application of sunscreen would take care of me.

Hello, fellow former Cincinnati-area-ian. :) It's weird but yeah, I never remember ever feeling like I took a bag to KI. Maybe probably just like you, we had Season Passes and lived nearby, so it was rare we stayed the entire day. And we could always just go out to the car if we needed to get anything!

*It does stick out... but I haven't found it to get in the way of my normal activities/movements.
*It stays in place very well. It doesn't bounce or sag at all, in my experience.
Thanks! My mom had one she always wears on the trips she goes with us, and I swear it looks like a three tier cake on its side protruding from her body :rotfl: but she loves hers. I don't mind a normal amount but don't want a huge pack sticking out.

It worked out okay, but the outside pockets didn't carry much, so it ended up just being a purse with no zipper. Now that that's getting a little ragged, I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PW51AQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems like it's a lighter, smaller backpack, and should work out pretty good for me, I hope. I'll be trying it out in June and taking my old park back as a backup.... but yeah, I can't bring myself to wear a fannypack.

I just bought one of these for my August trip at the recommendation of another dis-er!

I've recommended this one before. My wife and I used one each last summer. They worked very well. The front strap pouch is great for easy access to your smart phone. They are small enough to easily take on rides and big enough to store plenty of stuff (even autograph books). You don't have to take it off to access the pack. Just sling it around your body, and the zippers are all right in front of you.

My wife has been using hers pretty regularly since, and it's held up remarkably well.

I tried a fanny pack from the same company with a water bottle pouch on my last camping trip. It worked OK, but it didn't have the capacity of the sling. It would be good for times your carrying less. Some may require a bigger pack than even the sling. There are certainly plenty of choices on the market.

Excellent thread!
I am usually carrying a smaller cross body bag...my hubby is carrying a back pack.
I was looking at our pictures from the last trip to Disneyland, and I saw him carrying it... but for the life of me, I could not remember what would we do with his back pack when we went on rides?

Can you carry back pack with you? Or are there some limitations?
I remember parking the strollers, which we will not have this time.... but just can't remember what was going on with the back pack?

Fanny pack. Backpacks to me always feel like I'm lugging additional baggage whereas fanny pack is attached and sits comfortably on hip or butt.

I carry a smallish cross body bag. I have fanny packs, but after a couple of days they bug me. And they trap the hot air in next to my waist, which is really uncomfortable.

Definitely backpack! I am usually the only one in the family carrying a bag, so I need it to be big enough to fit everyone's things in. I usually bring wipes, small umbrella, snacks, camera, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter