Bag Check

Say you have an umbrella, stainless thermos, and a foldable cane, can you put all items in a large ziplock bag instead of dropping everything?

Say you have an umbrella, stainless thermos, and a foldable cane, can you put all items in a large ziplock bag instead of dropping everything?

Yes. This is exactly what we do. Just hold it out in front of you when you go through the metal detector.

And make sure you hold any umbrella, metal water bottle, or glasses case way out in front of you! Our daughter has trouble grasping the concept of
”straight out in front of you” so she gets sent over to look in her backpack which only has her wallet, sandals and ponchos. Happened to her a few times now.

Just got home after a nine day visit. We LOVE the new system!! We did have a sunglass case issue BUT no big deal. The lines move QUICKLY. So nice plus I would have hated to be the person sorting through all the items people carry.

Just a question about Bag Checks - if you have a lanyard (wore around the neck) that hold phone/cards/cash, are you considered bagless??

Just a question about Bag Checks - if you have a lanyard (wore around the neck) that hold phone/cards/cash, are you considered bagless??
The new security scanners mean there’s no longer a bag vs. bagless line. Everyone walks through the same line. Hold umbrellas, large battery packs, sunglass cases with metal hinges, etc. in front of you and simply walk on through. Wheelchairs, scooters and strollers go through a separate line.

Everyone goes through same detectors, bag or not. The only exception is big things like strollers.

Was there for six park days last week... apparently the scanners actually create an image with the problematic item marked. I failed and had to have my bag searched- the CM told me it was my sunglass case (metal hinge). From then on I held the case at a full arm's length in front of me whenever I walked through a scanner and wasn't stopped. If you get sent over to bag check, ask if they know what item was flagged.

Last edited:
Sorry to go off topic, but do they send you through bag check if you have an insulin pump? It can’t go through the scanner.

Also carry any altoids mint cases in your hands. I have a small one that I use for mints and once I started carrying it through in my hands, I wasn't flagged for an extra check.

Do you have to go through bag check even if you don't bring a bag? I used to just make sure to have big pockets so I could avoid bag check all together.
It's a security check, and everyone walks through the same metal detectors whether they have a bag or not. You do need to take out metal-containing objects such as sunglass cases, large battery packs (but not cell phones), umbrellas, etc. and hold them in front of you as you walk through, but that's it. So some of the things in your pockets may or may not need to come out. Read the first page of this thread - there are more specifics there!

It's a security check, and everyone walks through the same metal detectors whether they have a bag or not. You do need to take out metal-containing objects such as sunglass cases, large battery packs (but not cell phones), umbrellas, etc. and hold them in front of you as you walk through, but that's it. So some of the things in your pockets may or may not need to come out. Read the first page of this thread - there are more specifics there!
Thank you!

We get sent to the table every time these past few trips. They said my eyeglass case was setting it off. We took it out and I walked through with that while my husband had the bag. We both got sent over to the table (me holding just my eyeglass case). We left the case in from then on out, there wasn’t a point.

Bug spray? Is it buggy in DL or DCA? This is a genuine question as I will be a first timer this summer. I've never had a need for bug spray at WDW and I'm wondering I should pack some for DL or DCA.
We have been to DL/DCA many summers--- I have never once used bug spray and I have never once gotten a bug bite. But- having been there last October, I will say that bag check is not contactless there. I got really irritated one morning because the guy stuck his hand in the small side pocket of my purse and touched all of my spare masks with his hands-- it should have been visible that those were the only thing in that pocket- there wasn't any reason he needed to be digging through them and I sure was no longer going to put them on my face without washing them.

Also carry any altoids mint cases in your hands. I have a small one that I use for mints and once I started carrying it through in my hands, I wasn't flagged for an extra check.
I have a small tin that would set it off every time too!! It seems silly something so small could be the issue. Oh well- it’s easy to pull out.

I’ve also got a small bag with multiple zippers. If the zipper pulls are not held in place, the swinging will set it off as well. I’ve learned a lot & normally get through fine, but there’s always a time that it just doesn’t work… the poor security folks just roll their eyes at the machine & tell me they have no idea!! (One guard suggested that with many metal zippers in a small space, that’s reason enough- but it’s been so hit & miss that I won’t stop carrying my fav little bag in with me …yet!) 🤪

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter