"Baking" at the value resort bus stops...

Actually, if you don't mind not waiting in line, there is a bit of shade over by the buildings at the All Star Resorts. You won't be "in line", but you can find some shade.

To continue to compare the Values to the Moderates, at Moderate resorts there are no lines for the bus at all. There is a cover and benches, but unless you stand at the sidewalk you are not 'in line". And not stantions to even form the lines.

Just an FYI.

Even though there aren't the cattle pens at the mods or deluxe, I haven't had to stand at the curb to wait, and have never had trouble getting on a bus.

there actually are a couple of benches outside at the all star bus stop, outside the store. We actually since last month I wish we were standing in the hot sun waiting for a Disney bus. We have been baking here, so wish we were there................

there actually are a couple of benches outside at the all star bus stop, outside the store. We actually since last month I wish we were standing in the hot sun waiting for a Disney bus. We have been baking here, so wish we were there................

Good to know!!!:thumbsup2

My DH and I stayed at ASMU last August and waiting for the bus under that broiling Florida sun was unbearable. It's offensive that anyone would say "Allstar patrons are paying less than the other resorts, so they don't deserve a covered area to wait on a bus." Come one, it may be the least expensive place on sight but still not cheap. After a few days we decided to drive to the parks.

Last year my family and I took an afternoon to drive to a number of resort and check them out to see if we may want to stay someplace other than our fave Port Orleans Riverside. I noticed right off the lack of shade at the Values. I absolutely despise being out in the hot sun for any amount of time. So this seemed to be a glaring omission to me. I'll not stay at any of them.

My DH and I stayed at ASMU last August and waiting for the bus under that broiling Florida sun was unbearable. It's offensive that anyone would say "Allstar patrons are paying less than the other resorts, so they don't deserve a covered area to wait on a bus." Come one, it may be the least expensive place on sight but still not cheap. After a few days we decided to drive to the parks.

You may think it offensive, but there has to be significant differences between each level of resort, in order to justify the different prices.

Would the lack of a pool slide alone make people upgrade from a Value resort to a Moderate resort? Unless you have someone who is pool slide crazy in your family, probably not. But add that in with no shade at the bus stops, no hot tub, no sit down restaurant, and a bit smaller rooms and suddenly the extra $$ for a Moderate may not seem like too much to spend to upgrade.

Keep in mind too that no one is being forced to use the buses. Disney is not into torture. They are holding no one prisioner and forcing them to stand in the sun at the bus stops. If that sounds too awful to take, then you are free to rent a car. Disney won't penalize you for it, they even let you park your rental for free.
You can still choose a Value resort and not have to wait in the sun to grab a bus.

PattnFamily said:
And we all wear a hat when walking in the sun anywhere.
:thumbsup2 This just makes the most sense, no matter where you are at Walt Disney World.

nanalisa said:
I don't think anyone said/means Value Guests don't deserve covering while waiting for the buses; just that they don't get it. Value Guests don't get hot tubs or table service restaurants, either.

Honestly, last time I stayed at a Moderate resort, I remember mad dashes for the buses by people showing up at the last minute - yes, ahead of Guests already waiting comfortably on the provided benches. No, thanks. Limited experience at the Deluxe resorts and extensive time at OKW found Guests with a much different attitude, i.e. the ability to wait one's turn to board the bus ;)

Hmmm, we don't go in the summer so I never thought about it. But we always stay values and we always drive to Disney (so we have a car) but we never use anything but the busses. We are also rope drop kind of people so the heat isn't bad then either, but it has never bothered us.

I will say, I despise the sun and heat, a chilly, overcast day is my favorite kind in Disney or at home, but I deal with the heat and sun for my LOVE of Disney! :lovestruc

I'll repeat what I said in my initial post...there are plenty of ways that WDW already differentiates between value-moderate-deluxe resorts and having covered bus stops at the values is not going to make someone who wants to stay at a moderate or deluxe change their mind and stay at a value instead.

In the Florida heat, it is a no brainer(to have covered bus stops) regardless of the wait time for a bus being 10, 15 or 20+ minutes.

Kidani most certainly does! The walkway comes out from the hallway next to the arcade. There is also just a very few uncovered feet between the main Porte Cochere and where the covered walkway is (by the smokers) . There's a flat screen TV out there too! :thumbsup2

We stayed at Kidani last year for 10 days in August and we got VERY wet going from the bus drop off to the front of the resort. Our room was right off of the elevator near the check in. I asked the concierge if they had plans to make a covered walk like Jambo house and they said yes. We avoid smokers at all cost.

For sure it would be nice if the ques were covered. On the other hand, its nice that they are ques. Its first come, first served.

I have to say, often at the mods and deluxe's, we end up standing outside the bus shelter anyway. The little shelters get crowded in the mornings in particular.

And then there's the lovely phenomenon of when somebody walks up just as the bus pulls up and gets right on, while people who have been waiting for 20 minutes don't get on or get on and have to stand.

I hate the dealing with the elements, but I do like knowing that I'll get on the bus in a more orderly fashion.

It may be a no brainer to all of us, but it is what it is. A component/feature of the value resorts that may or may not matter enough to have you paying the upgrade to a moderate or renting a car.

Or staying with the value theme and buying a hat before you go!

In the Florida heat, it is a no brainer(to have covered bus stops) regardless of the wait time for a bus being 10, 15 or 20+ minutes.

I don't agree, and apparently neither does Disney. If you don't want to stand in the sun you can rent a car, use taxis, or even just buy a hat. No one is being forced to stand in the sun if they don't want to.

I don't agree, and apparently neither does Disney. If you don't want to stand in the sun you can rent a car, use taxis, or even just buy a hat. No one is being forced to stand in the sun if they don't want to.

I agree with this. Personally, I've stayed at every level of resort, from both Pop and the Allstars all the way up to the Poly and the Beach Club Villas. Every time I choose to stay at a value, I know going in that if I'm using the Disney bus, then I will have to wait in the sun. I respond accordingly by ensuring that my family and myself are well sunscreened, wear hats, and are hydrated well.

Would it be nice if they are covered? Sure, but Disney doesn't owe that to myself or anyone else. If you don't like it, that's fine, too. As mentioned before, you still have other options.

Okay. Enough said. No need to go into attack mode. I'll move on. :sad2:

I have to agree, I like the ques at the Value resorts. I hate it when people just walking up get in front of those who have been waiting. We had it a few times at Boardwalk, but it wasn't to bad. Ive heard stories of people fighting over this at bus stops. I think the heat got to them.

I wish every resort had ques and over head shelter. If I remember right all the parks have over heads, so at least there is something there.

Okay. Enough said. No need to go into attack mode. I'll move on. :sad2:

Wow, I wasn't attacking you. You just seem to be insisting Disney did something "wrong" by not putting shelters over the bus stops at the Value resorts. You even called it a "no-brainer". I happen not to agree.

As Amy&Dan pointed out, it is what it is. And there are ways around standing in the hot sun, even at the Value resorts.

We stayed at Kidani last year for 10 days in August and we got VERY wet going from the bus drop off to the front of the resort. Our room was right off of the elevator near the check in. I asked the concierge if they had plans to make a covered walk like Jambo house and they said yes. We avoid smokers at all cost.

Well, they still haven't done it.

That IS a really weird place to put the designated smoking area, isn't it?

Unfortunately, if it is raining, and you want to stay dry, you have to go past there to get into the front or "side" entry.

Thanks to those who answered my question asking if there were any benches outside in the bus waiting areas at the value resorts! :)

Last year we stayed at ASMu and I let my 7 year old stand in the shade of the building while I stood in line for the bus. I didn't mind not being at the front and don't really mind where we end up sitting or standing on the bus, as long as it gets us where we are going. So I was quite happy to let some folk go in front of me so I could keep DD in view while waiting and call her to join me when I saw the bus approaching. Obviously it is easier for me with only one child who would join up with me, but nobody indicated that they had an issue with it. I also live in Scotland and miss the sun so

Hats, sunscreen and water go without saying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter