Balancing Parks, Rest and Birthdays! A July 2023 Trip Report

I love the picture comparison from Hoop!
it is always fun seeing them grow up.

Just started reading your report yesterday!

Welcome!!!!

I'm also studying for a license i need for my career... so Your trip report was a reward after i finish a chapter of reading! I would test on my chapter... read a part of your report... and then go on to the next chapter!!
Good Luck!!

Oh no, that car :( I'm sure that traffic stop was stressful, but I'm happy to see that you guys had a nice time with your friends at HDDR!
It was stressful but more stressful because the guy didn't tell us anything

Oh man. I can feel your anxiety rising just READING about the car accident! I have a major fear of being late to things (my mom was habitually late when I was a kid so I was late to everything, s
Thankfully we left with plenty of time!

I feel like in the past there were breaks where you could eat, maybe they changed it post covid?
There was one break but that was it.

Day Seven: My Birthday! 4 Parks in 1 Day! Animal Kingdom Edition!

Today was my birthday!!! Gwen's due date was the 16th which was a Friday, So, they scheduled for me to be induced on Monday the 19th. She is stubborn now and was stubborn then! But the joke became that she was going to steal my birthday. Anyway.... it was nice that we were able to make this trip a 2 for one birthday trip!

We now have all been to Disney on our birthdays.

I went back and forth on what to do today. I had thought about doing a rest day, and renting a cabana or something but when we decided to stay at Caribbean Beach, that was out the window. So, I decided on the next logical thing... 4 parks in 1 day!!!

I wasn't sure if we wanted to do this as it was still no park hopping till 2:00, which def makes it harder. But I had a plan!
Plan for the day

This was the general plan...

And then this was the goals for each park
Check list of each park
this was what I think most people do, A ride, a Photo and food.

We set the alarm for 6:00 AM but everyone slowly got up.

I grabbed my phone and booked Genie + for us for the day, which was $25 a person, so $100

Then at 7:00, I booked a fancy ride for Tron first. I grabbed a 8:30 - 9:30 PM time slot. The plan was to be at Magic Kingdom by 8:00, so this gave us wiggle room to be running late. Tron was $20 a person, so another $80.

THEN I booked Guardians of the Galaxy next. I grabbed a 6:35 - 7:35 AM time slot. We kind of went back and forth a bit on the timing of this one. The plan was to be in EPCOT around 5:00 but we knew we would probably want to eat before riding and get to the front of the park. We figured this would be the last thing we did before headed out.
Guardian’s was $15 a person, so $60.

In total: $240 extra for the day. We wouldn’t normally do this, but it was all in the name of the challenge and for my birthday!

With all that booked, we needed to get ready and and head out!

I made myself an in-room mimosa. I had brought individual bottles of champagne with me from home. And used the orange juice I had gotten the night before. Of course I had to drink it out of a paper cup.
Mimosa to go!

4 Parks Shirts by Ariella Saucier, on Flickr
“Tinkerbell” left shirts for everyone, we each had a shirt for one of the 4 parks we were going to that day. Gwen made me wear the birthday ears that I had gotten for her. We all got ready to go and headed out.

We left the room at 7:18 AM
Off to the bus!

By 7:25 AM we were aleady on a bus to Animal Kingdom.
Gwen and I ready to go!

Morgan and Andy ready to go

Animal Kingdom had extra morning hours from 7:30 - 8:00. We decided to meet up with the Stone’s at 8:00 AM, as 7:30 just sounded way to early.
Animal Kingdom Entrance

We made it to Animal kingdom at 7:48 AM and through security and turnstiles fairly quickly.!

The Stone’s arrived just a few minutes after us and we met just inside the turnstiles. Perfect timing! And I was so happy they decided to join us, they aren't always early morning park go-ers.

We all scanned in as resort guests and headed in.
Animal Kingdom
Scanning in felt like we were crossing the starting line for the day! Would we make it?

We walked up to the tree of life around 7:53 AM and decided to get photo pass photos!

Entire Birthday Squad
Got photo pass photo. The guy was great and got photos of each family and all of us together.

Entire Birthday Squad

Kevin Photo

1st Official PhotoPass Photo
Look how NOT sweaty we are!!! (spoiler alert, they get more sweaty!) Official Photopass Photo #1 CHECK

After our photoshoot, we headed for our first ride of the day. We wanted to just stay ahead of the general groups and get to the Safari before everyone else.

8:04 AM: In line for the Safari.
Opka by Ariella Saucier, on Flickr

Elephant
Safari was good. We saw a bunch of elephants. (my favorite)

M & G Viewing the Sights

Elephant on Closed Road

Lion
The lion was up and moving around since it was so early! It was a good ride on the Safari. Ride in AK CHECK

After we headed to Everest next.

Asked the girls to get a picture but Dug and Russell. I was trying to break the ice a bit with the teen girls.
Doug Statues Group

I did one of just Morgan for her photo with her shirt.
Morgan's AK Photo
We talked about where Morgan should get her photo and we decided this was good. Individual Photo CHECK

Kari asked for a bathroom stop, which was music to Gwen’s ears. We stopped at the bathrooms before Everest.

By 8:50 we were in line for Everest.
Que
It was pretty much a walk on still.

Gwen and Casey rode together.
Gwen and Casey Ready to Ride
Casey doesn’t love Everest but she put on a brave face and rode with Gwen.

Rest of us Ready to Ride
Morgan and I went together, and Andy by himself.

Everest Ride Photo
Everest was fun as always!

After we headed to Kali for the girls to ride by themselves. We chatted and slowly walked over. It didn’t occur to us to check on the app BEFORE we walked over. Turned out that it hadn’t opened for the day yet. There wasn’t even any water in the ride yet.

Morgan asked for a snack, and suggested the Tiger Tails, so we took the long route to get them and then ride Dinosaur.

Grabbed Tiger Tails for both girls. And they inhaled them before we even made it to the ride.
Tiger Tails

Kevin!
We also say Kevin out and about which was fun.

We headed towards Dinosaur next.
Dino Skeleton

Dino Que
This was basically a walk on still as well.

Ready to Ride Dinosaur
We were ready to ride!!

Dinosaur Ride Photo
Not sure what Gwen is looking at but she looks like I AM NOT scared. I am not Scared... YOU're Scared!

After, we decided to do one more ride and then head to Nomad Lounge. The wait for Flight of Passage wasn’t too long before we got on Dinosaur but had gone up once we got off. So, we just decided to do Tough to be a Bug.
Bug's Life Que

We hadn’t done this ride in a very long time. It is def just ok. The scene with the fog and bugs is def more intense than I remembered!

We got over to Nomad Lounge around 10:15.
Rope Dropping Nomad Lounge
Rope Dropping Nomad Lounge!

We just chatted and relaxed a bit while we waited for them to open up. There was only 1 other person waiting.

Right at 10:30 they came out and started seating people. They brought us to the long table since we were so many people. But we had the whole table to ourselves.

We all ordered drinks and just relaxed and chatted.
Birthday Drinks

Kari and I both ordered Annapurna Zing
Bombay Sapphire Gin, Passion Fruit Purée, Mint, Simple Syrup, and Lime Juice topped with Ginger Beer and a glowing Lotus Flower

Kari asked for hers without the flower. I said I would keep mine, I said “It was my birthday, why not”

This drink is REALLY good. I wish we could have come back here another day for another one. And honestly half of why I want to squeeze Nomad Lounge in on our next trip is to come here.

Jason ordered the Tempting Tigress
Russell's Reserve 10yr Bourbon, St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram, Tamarind Syrup, and Lime Juice
I believe this is his favorite.

Andy ordered Leaping Lizard
Malibu Pineapple Rum and Leblon Cachaça with Orange, Passion Fruit, and Mango Juices
His was very pineapple! He said it was good, not very alcholy which is what he was looking for, as it was 10:30 in the morning!

Morgan ordered Zingiber Fizzie
Passion Fruit Purée, Mint, Simple Syrup, and Lime Juice topped with Ginger Bee
Basically my drink with no alcohol in it. She said she liked it.

Gwen got water.

Casey ordered the Lilly Gorill-ie
Strawberry and Sprite®
This is her favorite.

I ordered Churros for the girls to share:
Churros
Vanilla Crema, Strawberry-Guava Sauce

And I ordered the Gobi Manchurian
Crispy-fried Cauliflower, Manchurian Sauce, Green Onion
Andy and I shared these. These are really good! They are off the Tiffins menu and honestly what I liked the best from when we ate there last time. Eat Something #1 CHECK

Jason had the girls try and flick sugar packets across the table. And Gwen pegged jason in the face with her lack of aim.
Untitled

At one point Gwen started to play with the strawberry sauce on her plate. And Jason looked over at her and was totally grossed out. And then She sucked it all up with her straw. What can I say we show people a good time!

Kari told Gwen that she needed to ask for a candle in my bread service when we went to lunch. We joked that it was the best birthday cake.

Waiter brought out a small piece of cheesecake for my birthday. It was actually really good!
Suprise Birthday Dessert

It was a lovely morning and a great time at Nomad Lounge, but sadly we had to say goodbye to the Stone’s. We had a lunch reservation to get to!

Park #1
Rides:
4 Safari, Everest, Dinosaur & Bugs Life
Photo Pass Photo: Tree of Life
Individual Photo: Morgan with Doug Statue
Food / Snack: Annapurna Zing & Gobi Manchurian

up next lunch!

Sad the cost of those resorts is now out of my budget even off peak times!
I know! I was suprised DH ok'd both resorts! We have both been SUPER stressed with work, and I think we both are looking forward to relaxing on those porches!!!

What ride was your first Genie+ selection?
I didn't write it down, but I am pretty sure I went for MMRR to Toy Story Manina. I didn't try for Slinky Dog. Slinky is tough. The good thing is you can book something and then modify to get a better time or switch to a different ride complete if need be.

I want to do the 4 park challenge on my trip, but I think the hardest part will be getting a good return time for Slinky Dog. I also want to start at Animal Kingdom. Excited to see where your second park is!
Starting in AK is def the way to go, the rest are connected in some way, so it makes sense.

Those drinks sound good! Need to hit up Nomas next visit.
They aren't cheap but you can tell they are made with better ingredients!

I had to laugh at the comment about naturally if you weren't going to have a down day for your birthday, then you had to do a 4 park challenge. :rotfl: It makes total sense to me. Either have a completely laid back day or go all out. ::yes::

Are the Tiger Tails like Cheshire Cat Tails in the MK? If so, they're a good snack choice.

Nomads sounds like it was so much fun. I really want to visit there one day. Your drink sounds delicious! I'll have to try to go here with Landon one day. His favorite fruit is strawberry and favorite drink is sprite, so that Lilly Gorillee would be the perfect treat for him.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the challenge goes. At the very least I know you had to make it to Epcot and MK for those ILLs!

I had to laugh at the comment about naturally if you weren't going to have a down day for your birthday, then you had to do a 4 park challenge. :rotfl: It makes total sense to me. Either have a completely laid back day or go all out. ::yes::
Right!?! It's all of nothing.

Are the Tiger Tails like Cheshire Cat Tails in the MK? If so, they're a good snack choice.
They are literally the same just different colored icing.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the challenge goes. At the very least I know you had to make it to Epcot and MK for those ILLs!
I will say it was a little hairy for a little bit!!!

We now have all been to Disney on our birthdays.
No better way to celebrate!! Only my oldest has been at Disney on her birthday (3rd birthday) in our family. My 40th birthday (!) is coming up before too long, it might be time to finally spend one at the parks!
I grabbed my phone and booked Genie + for us for the day, which was $25 a person, so $100
Whoa! Trying to brace myself for Genie+ to likely cost a lot more than on our last trip.
“Tinkerbell” left shirts for everyone, we each had a shirt for one of the 4 parks we were going to that day.
I love these shirts, what a clever idea for your 4 park day!
Not sure what Gwen is looking at but she looks like I AM NOT scared. I am not Scared... YOU're Scared!
I am Gwen in every Dinosaur ride picture! I just can't look at that dinosaur for long!
It was a lovely morning and a great time at Nomad Lounge, but sadly we had to say goodbye to the Stone’s. We had a lunch reservation to get to!
You got a lot done that morning! What a great start to your birthday!

Finally all caught up in your TR though to be fair you were on page 9 when I found it :rotfl:
I love so much about this trip and I have to say meeting the Stones and aiming for a 4 park day on your birthday had to be the best! Love the Dinosaur photo- between Gwen’s expression and Casey and Jason's antics it made me laugh. Love the tinkerbell gifts and the fact that you each got a different park shirt. Looking forward to hearing more.

Whoa! Trying to brace myself for Genie+ to likely cost a lot more than on our last trip.
Yeah, we didn't do it every day. Genie + that is. I think I talked about it some before this. But we were able to do some days without it, if we got there bright and early and just left when I got to busy for us. And then we had dinner and headed back to a park. Usually we could manage the park in the evening without it again.

That is going to be my next post in my pre-trip report. What days I think we will use it.

You have ALOT of people to get it for!
Finally all caught up in your TR though to be fair you were on page 9 when I found it
Welcome!!!! Glad you are here!!! I know it's a lot to get caught up when you find a report half way done!

- between Gwen’s expression and Casey and Jason's antics it made me laugh.
Ha! I know!

Yeah, we didn't do it every day. Genie + that is. I think I talked about it some before this. But we were able to do some days without it, if we got there bright and early and just left when I got to busy for us. And then we had dinner and headed back to a park. Usually we could manage the park in the evening without it again.

That is going to be my next post in my pre-trip report. What days I think we will use it.
Oh good to know! I’m interested to see what days you’re planning for it. We used it every day last time but that was only 4 days for 6 people, and before prices went up.
You have ALOT of people to get it for!
Yes we do! 7 people for 6 park days… 42 Genie plus potentially instead of 24 last time. Yikes!

Day Seven: My Birthday! 4 Parks in 1 Day! Sanaa Edition!

We headed to the bus around 11:30, we waited a short time for a bus and were at Animal Kingdom by 11:45!

Everyone talks about going to Steakhouse 71 for a good lunch outside of MK. I would recommend Sanaa with that same thought! It's a short bus ride to AKL.

IMG_3476
The lobby here at Kadani is beautiful but is so small compared to Jambo. Also it is SOOOO confusing as to which one you need to go to. Everytime we have to ask a million times!

We checked in and asked for a window table, we have never actually been sat at a window table.

Sanaa Lunch
Used the bathroom while we waited to be seated. Called back in no time.

We did in fact get a window table!!!
gates around windows
Ummmm..... Disney..... what? They have amazing ways to keep animals where they should be on the Safari but we are using this for a restaurant? Have those always been there?!?

It didn't matter, I was just surprised.

We started with drinks. I got the African Starr Mojito
IMG_3476
Starr African Rum, Van der Hum Tangerine Liqueur from South Africa, Fresh Lime Juice, and Mint

It was a standard mojito. but I wanted something not too heavy. I mean I could have used another drink from Nomad Lounge... ha!

Andy just went with Diet Coke and the girls went with flavored Lemonades, I think watermelon.

We decided on what we wanted fairly quickly, I mean I knew what I wanted for like 3 months before that day!

I ordered my bread service. And Gwen followed the Kari's direction and asked the waitress to put a candle in the bread service. The waitress was def surprised at first but was more than willing to.
Naan "birthday cake"
Behold the BEST birthday Cake EVER!!!

IMG_3476

Indian-style Bread Service
Five Breads and with all Nine Accompaniments - Traditional Naan, Garlic-Ginger Naan, Spiced Naan, Onion Kulcha, or Paneer Paratha. Accompaniments - Cucumber Raita, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Mango Chutney, Tomato-Date Jam, Tamarind Chutney, Coriander Chutney, Garlic Pickle, Red Chile Sambal, or Spicy Jalapeño-Lime Pickle

Birthday Cake

Morgan ordered the Potjie Inspired
Choose one from the Journey - Goan Seafood Curry, Butter Chicken, Braised Beef, or Pork Vindaloo. Choose one from the Harvest (Plant-based) - Rajma Masala, Chickpea Wat, Sukuma Wiki, or Lentil Daal served with Scented Basmati Rice
Morgan and Andy's lunch
And Andy said he would share that with her along with the bread service as I wanted my own bread service.

Andy let Morgan pick the 2 types, and she went with Butter Chicken and Lentil Daal. Morgan knew she would like the Butter Chicken and thought the lentil daal would be good. I thnk she liked both but butter chicken is def her favortie.

Gwen ordered mac and cheese with double grapes again. Waitress again was unsure of the request but went with it.
Gwen's Mac & Cheese with Double Grapes

The entire spread
I mean, look at that spread of food! Well, maybe not Gwen's mac and cheese... but the rest...YUM!!!

Ummm you will see Gwen was putting mac and cheese on the naan bread...

Lunch was perfect. We saw animals and ate lots of bread.

I wasn’t able to finish my bread service but it was excellent. Morgan even had some butter chicken left over, so I was able to dip my bread in the sauce. Which is really what I love when we get indian at home. I always say that I don’t need the actual chicken.

Gwen left the waitress a wooden coin since we granted her requests.
CM Thank you

We used up the last of our gift card from the special booking. We have 1 penny left on the card! There was actually some confusion since we only had enough on the card for the meal not tip. Andy wanted to use a card for the tip, as at this point we were in full disney mode and had no cash. It took a bit but we got it figured out.

And it was time to complete the challenge! We were at the bus stop around 1:15 for a bus to Hollywood Studios.
Waiting for the Bus

Up next Hollywood Studios!

We did in fact get a window table!!!
Woohoo! The one time we ate there we were sat as far away from the windows as possible. Glad you got the window for your birthday!!
I ordered my bread service. And Gwen followed the Kari's direction and asked the waitress to put a candle in the bread service. The waitress was def surprised at first but was more than willing to.
That's a special birthay cake!!

Ok, this was one of my favorite TR updates of all time. It had everything. It had a birthday lunch at Sanaa. It had Sanaa butter chicken. It had a candle stuck in naan bread to make a naan birthday cake. It had macaroni and cheese with not one but TWO sides of grapes. It had Gwen's amazing note to your waitress, thanking her for coming through with said requests for two sides of grapes. 10/10 no notes

I agree and Happy Birthday! Back in July. My Birthday is July as well. This would be the best Birthday meal for me to I love the bread service. One of my favorite places to eat
I love Gwen’s thank you to the wait staff adorable ☺️

I went back and forth on what to do today. I had thought about doing a rest day, and renting a cabana or something but when we decided to stay at Caribbean Beach, that was out the window. So, I decided on the next logical thing... 4 parks in 1 day!!!
Go big or go home!!
In total: $240 extra for the day. We wouldn’t normally do this, but it was all in the name of the challenge and for my birthday!
Birthday splurges are always good.
“Tinkerbell” left shirts for everyone, we each had a shirt for one of the 4 parks we were going to that day. Gwen made me wear the birthday ears that I had gotten for her. We all got ready to go and headed out.
Love the Tinkerbell gifts. :)
Kari and I both ordered Annapurna Zing
Bombay Sapphire Gin, Passion Fruit Purée, Mint, Simple Syrup, and Lime Juice topped with Ginger Beer and a glowing Lotus Flower

Kari asked for hers without the flower. I said I would keep mine, I said “It was my birthday, why not”

This drink is REALLY good. I wish we could have come back here another day for another one. And honestly half of why I want to squeeze Nomad Lounge in on our next trip is to come here.
Nomad Lounge is always fun! I always sit outside...I've never been inside yet!So nie that you got together with Kari, Jason and Casey. The first Dismeet I ever had was with Kari and Casey...I think Casey was only 3 or 4?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter