Balboa Park Train Museum?

minniefaye

DIS Veteran
Has anyone been to this, opinions? We are thinking of taking our three kids there during a "free" day in between our days at Sea World, Legoland, and the Zoo. Thanks for your help. :)

I grew up in San Diego, and loved this museum. I went so many times and loved it as a child. I'm 28 now, and would still go back. It's actually quite fun for train buffs and railroad modelers. Some of the layouts are quite impressive.

The setups are pretty neat and there is a fantastic model Toy Railroad with tons of buildings and neat features. Its deffinately worth a visit, especially if anyone in your party is interested in trains.

I love the Train Museum in Balboa Park. While you're in Balboa Park, the grounds are beautiful to walk around. The Museum of Natural History is within steps and their exhibits are always wonderful.

Ruben H. Fleet Space Theatre is also within steps. Their exhibits are great and they have an I-Max movie screen.

I believe that when Balboa Park Museums have "free Tuesday" that all museums are free. If that's the case for you, check out these other museums they are worth seeing!

The zoo is actually maybe a 5 min walk from the train museum, and you will pass by Spanish Villiage, which is an artists enclave with lots and lots of artist studios featuring all kinds of art, including glass blowing. (which is really fun to watch if you are lucky enough to catch them working!) Also, as you walk toward the zoo, there is a Carousel and a (1/4 guage?) train that you can ride. It sounds dorky, but I've done it and it was good touristy fun.

If you walk in the opposite direction of the Zoo, there is a wonderful aeropace museum.

I often spend the entire day in Balboa Park, and don't get a chance to see it all. Have a wonderful time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter