Bank after modifying?

tx911

DIS Veteran
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered at some point somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

If I modify an existing reservation and thereby use fewer points, can I bank the unused points to the subsequent UY, as long as they are not borrowed points?

As long as you do the modification at least 31 days or more from check in. If you modify after that mark, the freed up points go into holding status.

I came to ask the same question….

Specifically, I think I will need to book two 2 bedrooms, but if we can change it to one two bedroom and two studios, it will use less points. After modification (if possible) the extra points would just be deposited back in my account?

There must be a website with all the point usage rules spelled out. Can anyone provide it? I’m buying resale and understand I won’t get anything physical that describes all the ins and outs of point usage. Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

I came to ask the same question….

Specifically, I think I will need to book two 2 bedrooms, but if we can change it to one two bedroom and two studios, it will use less points. After modification (if possible) the extra points would just be deposited back in my account?

There must be a website with all the point usage rules spelled out. Can anyone provide it? I’m buying resale and understand I won’t get anything physical that describes all the ins and outs of point usage. Any info is appreciated! Thanks!
The problem with this scenario is whether the 1BR and 2 studios will be available to change into.

In other words, you are not just cutting days off your 2BR reservation, but booking an entirely different room type. And going from 2 units to 3.

A lot depends on which resort and which time of year. For example, if it's Beach Club during Food & Wine, you can forget about 2 studios being available for sure, and maybe not even the 1BR. If you are talking Saratoga, you may well have the availability to do it.

As far as the points left over, my understanding is that once you borrow points from the following use year, they stay in the year they are borrowed into, and therefore any borrowed points would not be eligible to be banked. Others will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong here. There is info re Banking and Borrowing on the DVC website too, that may help.

Also, making changes by calling Member services may be a better way for you to go, as you can ask them questions during the process.

There are 4 families going and I am trying for a split stay. Five days total, booked in a two bedroom plus two studios at OKW. The hope is to modify to AK (at 7 months) for the final two days. I feel I’ll have a better chance of getting two 2 bedrooms at 7 months than one 2 bedroom plus two studios. If I can modify one of the 2 bedrooms to two studios, it’s less points. I will not be borrowing points. They are in the UY I will be visiting. So they will just go back into my current use year when I modify as long as 31 days out? Is that correct?

There are 4 families going and I am trying for a split stay. Five days total, booked in a two bedroom plus two studios at OKW. The hope is to modify to AK (at 7 months) for the final two days. I feel I’ll have a better chance of getting two 2 bedrooms at 7 months than one 2 bedroom plus two studios. If I can modify one of the 2 bedrooms to two studios, it’s less points. I will not be borrowing points. They are in the UY I will be visiting. So they will just go back into my current use year when I modify as long as 31 days out? Is that correct?
Yes, that's correct. You may bank them if you are still within your banking window.

I will not be borrowing points. They are in the UY I will be visiting. So they will just go back into my current use year when I modify as long as 31 days out? Is that correct?
Yes, that is my understanding. And, if you are still within your banking window, you should be able to bank your saved points to the following UY.

I just did this. I cut one day off of a November trip, then banked the saved points to 2025.

I just did this. I modified a reservation from a two bedroom to a one bedroom, and I had to borrow some points to make that reservation. So I used the borrowed points from the one bedroom, and was able to bank the left over current use year points.

I just did this. I modified a reservation from a two bedroom to a one bedroom, and I had to borrow some points to make that reservation. So I used the borrowed points from the one bedroom, and was able to bank the left over current use year points.
Member Services can adjust a stay to use whatever points you prefer so the "extra" can be the ones within the current use year.

Member Services can adjust a stay to use whatever points you prefer so the "extra" can be the ones within the current use year.
I guess I wasn't clear. I used MODIFY to downgrade an existing reservation from a two bedroom to a one bedroom. I had borrowed points for the two bedroom reservation. The modification automatically used those borrowed points first, freeing the current use year points so I could bank them.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter