Banked Points Confusion Covid

Dano1182

DIS Veteran
I had reservations for April that were canceled by DVC.
I was using 27 banked points for that trip.
I then made a reservation for September
Which was canceled due to NY governor imposed travel ban.
I was in formed by MS that DVC has not made a final decision regarding banked points from 2019 status due to covid cancelations.
But I could park my points in RCI and they good for 2 years?
I don’t see how DVC would not allow the banking of points that we tried to use twice and were unable to.
It is to me like a hotel (I know DVC is a timeshare not a hotel)
Taking a deposit and refusing to refund when they decided to close.

Can some one explain the logic behind this ?
And the banking into RCI.

The cast member was clearly reading from a script .
And would not elaborate.

I have a February use year if that makes any difference.

Sounds like us, 185 banked points, Feb use year, trip cancelled May, 2019 than August 2019 due to quarantine restrictions. I have rescheduled for first week of December, but may need to cancel again due to quarantine restrictions. Was told by DVC rep that if we cancel December and don't put points in RCI, we loose them. There is no logic to any of this!

The reason is that DVC resorts are open at WDW and HH and VB. Since owners have the ability to use the points now with things open, there is no reason to extend the use of points, especially from 2019 that were banked.

I know it is frustrating but the quarantine order is not something that plays a role in the rules and how the timeshare system needs to work..they simply can’t extend points and meet their obligations to the system as a whole.

As of now, they did extended until November 30th, banked points from 2018 for April to Oct UYs..but that is it...and only because they expired during closure or shortly after things opened...technically didn’t even have to do that.

I don’t imagine we will see any other changes, with the exception of maybe them doing some type of extension for AUL or VGC points as they remain closed...although, legally they don’t appear to have to do that since they are allowing those owners access to the open resorts.

So, if you can’t use them during the 7 months they are good from resort open until they expire, then RCI is your only option.

Remember, you are an owner and not going to a hotel. I’m sorry this has not worked out for you, but as long as you could book with them, then you are being given what you bought.

Last edited:
And it has always been possible to put points into RCI after your banking deadline. So that is consistent.

I have been a dvc member for since 2000
And never looked into RCI.
I know they are a time share exchange.
And that is about it.
I have always been happy with most things about doc.

My point is Disney cancelled my vacation not me.
We were prepared to go and accept restrictions.I maybe more concerned that the fact that I have been told that doc management has not made a decision is concerning.
Seems to me that their decision will be made based on how many members will scramble to use points .
And if enough do then they will allow a small number of members
Bank a few points.

That being said my 26 points expiring will not be the end of the world.
Isthere was a way to donate them to some of the first responders or perhaps make a wish?
Something like that?

We were prepared to go and accept restrictions. I maybe more concerned that the fact that I have been told that doc management has not made a decision is concerning.
Disney cancelled your April trip. While i understand your hesitation to go, you decided against traveling in Sept, not Disney - there isn't a travel ban, but a required quarantine.
I do empathize: we had a trip booked in April & rescheduled it four times, When WDW finally opened, we decided to keep our new August/Sept reservation. as we would have lost over 400 points (Dec UY, AND we have trips planned in Oct & Dec).
Being from Long Island, we also had to deal with quarantining upon return. (We had a fantastic time, BTW)
If you don't think you will use them, and don't want to transfer them to RCI, consider asking friends or family, or renting them out on the Dis rent/trade board or another venues.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited:
Sorry you were not able to use your points. I was in a similar predicament--20 points expiring soon. We were able to let a family relative use the points instead.
One question I have regarding the RCI option (just thinking about a year from now if we are still in a similar situation)--I wonder what will be available when things do start to turn to normal. Won't other timeshares be in a similar situation with pent up demand from families that have been unable to use their timeshares due to covid, too? I'm wondering if the points inventory might be skewed with everyone depositing their points in the near term, but fewer people able to take vacations.

We were prepared to go and accept restrictions.I maybe more concerned that the fact that I have been told that doc management has not made a decision is concerning.
Seems to me that their decision will be made based on how many members will scramble to use points .
And if enough do then they will allow a small number of members
Bank a few points.

Disney did not cancel the trip on you. DVCM, the management company we pay as owners to run things did. They act on our behalf as owners, so they made the legal decision to shut it down,

I know others may not agree but it really is why there is a difference when owning a timeshare vs, booking a hotel.

In the end, DVCM has the responsibility to make the decisions based on the membership as a whole, in line with FL timeshare laws, and adjustments that fall within their ability as governed by home resort rules and regulations,

So, in the end, as long as what is done, whether one is negatively impacted or not, is deemed by them as in the best interest of all owners, and doesn’t violate the POS, then it is what is it,

Sorry you were not able to use your points. I was in a similar predicament--20 points expiring soon. We were able to let a family relative use the points instead.
One question I have regarding the RCI option (just thinking about a year from now if we are still in a similar situation)--I wonder what will be available when things do start to turn to normal. Won't other timeshares be in a similar situation with pent up demand from families that have been unable to use their timeshares due to covid, too? I'm wondering if the points inventory might be skewed with everyone depositing their points in the near term, but fewer people able to take vacations.

It could but at least it gives someone 2 years to find something before all is lost vs, knowing for sure now,

It is not a good Situation for anyone and this year has brought to light, IMO, some of the drawbacks of having a timeshare that many of us never even thought about. I mean, who would have ever thought we’d see resorts closed down for 3 months...and more.

I do want to say that me losing some points is a small aggravation.
I have sympathy for those who have lost loved ones ,businesses, jobs and. Seem local economies crushed by lock down rules.
And I thank all those who rose to the challenge to help during this time.

The reason is that DVC resorts are open at WDW and HH and VB. Since owners have the ability to use the points now with things open, there is no reason to extend the use of points, especially from 2019 that were banked.

I know it is frustrating but the quarantine order is not something that plays a role in the rules and how the timeshare system needs to work..they simply can’t extend points and meet their obligations to the system as a whole.

As of now, they did extended until November 30th, banked points from 2018 for April to Oct UYs..but that is it...and only because they expired during closure or shortly after things opened...technically didn’t even have to do that.

I don’t imagine we will see any other changes, with the exception of maybe them doing some type of extension for AUL or VGC points as they remain closed...although, legally they don’t appear to have to do that since they are allowing those owners access to the open resorts.

So, if you can’t use them during the 7 months they are good from resort open until they expire, then RCI is your only option.

Remember, you are an owner and not going to a hotel. I’m sorry this has not worked out for you, but as long as you could book with them, then you are being given what you bought.
So DVC can use a state quarantine order as an excuse to not have to open Aulani to DVC owners at that resort because you can use Aulani points at other resorts. On the other hand they are telling DVC owners, that are impacted by quarantine orders, that it is not our problem you CANNOT use the points because we did not impose a quarantine and our resorts are open.

I can't see how DVC can use both sides of the quarantine to only benefit themselves? If you are telling me, as an Aulani owner, you donot have to open the resort due to quarantine orders. How can DVC use the same excuse and tell DVC owners, that are impacted by quarantine orders, that the resort is open and not DVC problem? It is like having your cake and eat it too.

So DVC can use a state quarantine order as an excuse to not have to open Aulani to DVC owners at that resort because you can use Aulani points at other resorts. On the other hand they are telling DVC owners, that are impacted by quarantine orders, that it is not our problem you CANNOT use the points because we did not impose a quarantine and our resorts are open.

I can't see how DVC can use both sides of the quarantine to only benefit themselves? If you are telling me, as an Aulani owner, you donot have to open the resort due to quarantine orders. How can DVC use the same excuse and tell DVC owners, that are impacted by quarantine orders, that the resort is open and not DVC problem? It is like having your cake and eat it too.

DVCM has a broad range of reasons to keep a resort shut when there is an emergency situation that is going on for the safety of owners, etc. In this case, the quarantine orders may be enough to keep the resort legally shut down...and I have no idea if that is what they are using, or if it was some other reason...just saying it could be.

Assuming that the resort is shut down per contract, then the remedy goes by what the contract says. According to my POS for RIV...and I assume it is similar to AUL...when there is a loss of use of the resort, they board for the condo association can decide to allow owners to still trade out to other resorts. even though it imbalances the system, or it mentions they can put people up in other hotels and the cost associated with that is charged to owners as a special assessment.

So, based on what the POS says, and my interpretation of it, yes, DVCM can simply tell Aulani owners that they have decided to allow the, to use points elsewhere...which seems to be the current decision...as the remedy.

Of course, if DVCM wants to open the resort, regardless of the quarantine, they probably could, but the costs to run it without Disney would fall on AUL owners because the guarantee does not include extra expenses related to emergencies. They can not force Disney to open and run any part of the resort that is not DVC. Things like stores and restaurants may or may not be part of DVC. So, the question would be could it be opened without those elements if they are not part of DVC?

Again, I am not an AUL owner and have not emailed about it, but those that are, as I have suggested several times, should be contacting DVCM if you believe they are violating the contract and getting specifics. I am simply trying to share the information I gathered when my home resorts were closed and what the remedy would be.

To be honest, when resorts were closed in the past for things like hurricane, etc., the practice has been to just allow owners of those resorts to use elsewhere. Obviously, those that bought AUL because they live there will not find the remedy convenient, but based on my interpretation of the contract so far, I can find nothing that requires them to do more than what they are doing for owners of closed resorts.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter