• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Barber shop on Main Street

AllisonG

<font color=CC66CC>Good thing the TF is multi-ling
Can anyone give me any and all info on the Barber Shop in MK? I am hoping to take my 2 DS's in a weeks time.
Thanks in advance!:)

We had our son's first haircut there last year! If you can get there first thing in the morning and see if Maura can cut their hair. Maura is *fantastic* She was even written up in a recent Disneyworld Magazine! The cost for our son's "First Hair cut" was $12 (we paid her $20!) and it included a certificate for his first cut, a bag to put his curls into (he had waist length curls!) and a pair of Mickey Ears that were embroidered with "First Haircut" on the back. They also gave him and our daughters about 30 Mickey stickers!

For regular haircuts the cost is still $12. Tinkerbell usually flies over afterwards and drops Pixie dust in their hair. Also, talk to Maura and the other barbers about anything Disney. These people are a wealth of knowledge. We learned so much from them. They have a myrriad of Disney Toys for the kids to play with to keep them entertained during the haircut and they will change the toys out as the kids get bored with them. Mostly they are the spinning light up whirly things, but they do manage to keep them still for 5-7 minutes at a time!

If it weren't a 9 hour drive and a park admission, I would take my son there every 6 weeks for his hair cuts!

:earsgirl:

Originally posted by catwho
Maura is *fantastic*

If it weren't a 9 hour drive and a park admission, I would take my son there every 6 weeks for his hair cuts!

That's what we have now started to do!! I have a 2 and a half yr old son who is not the most cooperative for haircuts and we now bring him every 6 wks or so just because they do such a fantastic job of not only keeping him entertained but of giving him a nice hair cut too!

Maura is so good at keeping him entertained and distracted that she has even managed to use the buzzers on him -- until bringing him to her, couldn't even get near him with them
:D ! She not only gives him plenty of toys to play with but when she finishes, she puts colored gel in his hair and confetti. He ends up with such a grin on his face and just thinks he's the cats meow -lol:p . Plus the harmony barber shop quartet singers come in quite often and that seems to entertain him as well - not to mention its great entertainment for myself and dh.

Have fun - you'll love it!

LOL Scoootch! According to your counter it must almost be time for another haircut! I'm trying to figure out if my ds can wait 48 more days for another haircut LOL!

We hope to get our 22 month old DD 1st offical hair cut there in 6 weeks. She was born with tons of hair and it is now down to the middle of her back. We have trimed her bangs ourselves a number of times, but have never cut the back of her hair. She can be a little difficult when it comes to touching her hair, and we hope it is a wonderful experience for her (but doubt we can go every six weeks).

Pixie dust here we come.

I love this idea! We're leaving for WDW next Sunday, and I've just decided to get DS6 haircut there! Does anyone know if there's a long wait or line to get in? Do you need to make an appointment or is it walk-in only?

Thanks!

It's walk in only. Try to get there as soon as you can in the morning. Through the day the shop can become pretty deep with people waiting for their haircuts. Seems like this is a popular thing for older men to do. When we had our ds's hair cut we went there first thing when MK opened. We were the first customers. By the time we left there were 3 other people waiting to have their hair cut. This was in January last year so not like it was peak season or anything.

My older daughter got her bangs cut at the barber shop but they said they don't cut girls hair.

My son got his done there and he loved it. He is 17. It was also a great place to watch the parade from.

My DD2 had her first haircut done by Maura and my DD2 is a wild always moving child. Maura did a great job and put DD2's hair in pigtails with Pooh Clips and gave her the First Haircut ears, the certificate and some of her hair in an evelope closed with Mickey stickers. This was all for $12, but I think my DH tip her $10 on top of that.
We went there ASAP after the park opened and there was one boy and one man in front of us and the line built up quickly and this was before the Barber shop was talked about in the Disney Mag.
At what age do they stop doing girls hair? My DD6 hates having her hair cut, but thought she might be able to handle having it cut at Disney next time we go. I was also hoping that Maura could cut DD2 hair again....she will be 3 or 4 by then depending on what day we go since we are going to be there for her b-day. :D

We took our DS for his first haircut a few years ago, and it was a great experience for him and for us too. Billie cut his hair and did a wonderful job. He was so distracted by the Buzz Lightyear toy she gave him that he didn't even notice the scissors. We are planning to take our new DS for his first haircut when the time comes.

Ann

We just had our DS(19months)'s first haircut at Disney barber shop 3 weeks ago. It was just as Catwho described. Our barber was Billie and she did a great job. She took her time and let our DS get comfortable by providing different toys. It was busy and we had to wait for about 6-7 people(kids & adults) in the middle of the day. They had 2 barbers most of the time we were there. It might have been busy because it was the New year's day. The wait was about 1 hr but as someone else mentioned the parade passes by the front door so the wait seemed to go by fast. Also, it's was fun watching the barbers do their thing and everyone seemed to be enjoying the time.

Overall, it was a very interesting and enjoyable experience.

Have no fear! LOL

They most certainly do cut womens/girls hair at the barber shop!

We've been taking my ds now every 6 wks or so since last summer and many times we have waited while they cut a woman's hair or a young girls hair -- so someone has misinformed Safteymom :rolleyes:

I think as long as Disney stands to make money they will be willing to cut whoever's hair that wants to spend the money for the haircut.

Just thought I'd let y'all know.;)

I guess the Barber is misinformed then. She is the one that told us. My daughter is in the Disney college program and asked to have her hair cut and they said they could only do her bangs.

Does anyone know what time that the barber shop closes? We had our girls' (2,4) hair cut there in Dec and want to do it again on our next trip. We arrive on Sunday afternoon and want to go over to the park and get it done then.

Safteymom -

Perhaps the CM working in the barbershop that day was misinformed, either that or they must bend the rules at times?! Or maybe they have changed the rules altogether.

Please know that I didn't mean to insult you in any way.

However, the last time we were there (we went for the day in Dec. one weekend), we waited behind a mother in her 50's and her daughter who looked to be in her 20's . So either they were bending the rules or they have changed them because they both got full hair cuts, not just their bangs. Nothing fancy mind you, but they did a full trim all the way around on them both. We are going next weekend for a long wknd so I will ask them while we are there and post back with what they tell me.

BTW, it was Maura and the Blonde haired man (I forget his name but he is almost always there when we've gone) working that day. So it wasn't someone who doesn't normally work there and wouldn't know their rules.

Anyway, I'll be sure and let you know what they say;)

OH, and to the poster right before me, I believe the barber shop is open from 9 am to 5pm.

I have seen both of these women at the barber shop on other occasions. I just posted my experience so people were prepared if they were turned down. She was great and very funny. She even ran out of the shop when she saw me taking my daughters picture. My daughter didn't know why I was laughing.

Maybe they meant that they didn't do women's stylized hair cuts, but trims were definatly available.
We were there at the begin of Feb. My 7 yr old daughter got her bangs cut as well as a trim all over, Maura suggested it when she saw how uneven it was . She then put a beautiful braid in from ear to ear with a little minnie mouse bow clip (obviously just for girls), very pretty!! We all were doused with pixie dust even my 11 yr old son who was not willing to wear glitter in his hair.(she got him anyway, with hairspray to make it stick!!) It was great! My husband and I were shedding glitter all day!

I would like to take my DS there for his first official haircut when we go in May. We plan to get there first thing. Are they open during the Early Entry? Can you go in and make an appt. & come back or do you need to sit and wait? It sounds just great!

MY dh's best haircut ever!! Too bad we live so far from Orlando.
It was a male who cut his hair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter