BCV Studio rehab- a hot mess!

La2kw

DIS Veteran
I was happy to hear that the BCV were rehabbing the rooms as I was no fan of the odd mismatched, tacky decor in the original rooms. I even requested a rehabbed room for our 8 night trip this summer. Upon first checking into the room, we thought it looked pretty nice. After looking closer and living with it for 8 nights, we saw just what a mess it was.:crazy2:

I think whoever designed the rooms was an amateur at best. Perhaps just one of Disney's accountants watched some HGTV and felt he could do it better than a designer, who knows. It's a mess though. Lack of storage, unfinished work, sloppy work, and poor planning are some of the highlights of this rehab. The room is bland, it lacks any kind of character that even the tacky blue and yellow decor had, has poor lighting, and the lack of storage makes it difficult for a stay of any length. Add to that the paint splatters on the beautiful new floor, the unfinished paint in the cupboard, this missing glass on the cupboard door, the removal of the ceiling fan, the poor choice in curtains, the unfinished curtain rod, the white sofa, the lack of corner guards on the corners of the walls, the removal of dvd players, the closet shelf and rod that is too big for the closet, and the list goes on.

We also spent a week in a newly rehabbed room at VB. It was beautifully done, updated, had character, had charm, the work was of a high quality and the room felt very upscale. So Disney is capable of designing a beautiful hotel room still. They just didn't bother doing so at the BCV. They should really be embarrassed.

Here are some photos of the issues we had

IMG_1476.JPG

No drawers or storage of any kind on this vanity. Just the open shelf on the bottom. They could have easily had drawers on this.

IMG_1483.JPG

Blah grey walls with white trim. Just like on every HGTV rehab show you have seen lately. No artwork anywhere in the room except a small picture in the bathroom (that clashes) and a picture that looks like the Bahamas over the sofa. Nice lamps, great tv, horrid piece of trailer furniture with a table that folds down into a bed. Hate, hate, hate these additions they are putting into the rooms. This unit has four tiny drawers for clothes. The are about the size of a shoebox. There are also two small drawers in a small oval coffee table/ottoman. That's it for storage besides the one drawer in the nightstand.

More to come...

Last edited:
IMG_1487.JPG

This is the cupboard door in the kitchenette. It was an open frame, missing the glass, or whatever goes in here. Not sure if it's always been like that, but this was a good time to fix this if so. You can see on the frame where the glass should be and the screw holes to anchor the glass. Perhaps the glass was too expensive? Whatever excuse they had, it was tacky and cheap looking.

IMG_1474.JPG

Here you can see what it looks like. This is before we filled it with our grocery items. Remember, there is no storage, so all groceries have to go in here. I have multiple food allergies and we cook a lot in our room. I have a lot of safe foods to store for an 8 day stay (plus another 7 days at Vero after this). Also, there is a large gap between the fridge and the cupboard that I don't remember ever seeing before. It's also not there at Vero. Not sure why the fridge looks too small for the space but it does and it looks stupid.

Last edited:
By the way, did you notice how small the coffeemaker is? Now that might work for some people, but not for this coffee lover. I have never seen such a small coffeemaker in any DVC room for the 20+ years we have been members. Fortunately, they did bring me a decent (normal) size coffeemaker for the room. I didn't have this problem at Vero, as they kept the large coffeemakers in those rooms that were redone.

IMG_1488.JPG

The one on the right comes with the new reno, the one on the left I had to ask for.

Yikes! Sorry to hear.

There should be more storage than 4 small drawers. The rooms sleep 4 people. One small drawer per person?

I don't like the idea of putting your stuff on the bottom shelf in the bathroom either.

Strange that there isn't any glass on the cabinet doors. Did you ask the front desk about it?

I hope you had a wonderful vacation anyway!

Closet shelf/bar was too close to the closet door. You couldn't hang any clothes without having the clothes turn sideways. Remember, there's no storage anymore so you have to have a lot of clothes in this closet with the 5 hangers they give you. If this has always been this way they could have rectified it. Another example of poor planning and lack of functionality of this redo.

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

Last edited:
Yikes! Sorry to hear.

There should be more storage than 4 small drawers. The rooms sleep 4 people. One small drawer per person?

I don't like the idea of putting your stuff on the bottom shelf in the bathroom either.

Strange that there isn't any glass on the cabinet doors. Did you ask the front desk about it?

I hope you had a wonderful vacation anyway!

The front desk didn't know what I was talking about. As usual with WDW, their front desk and management personnel have very little authority to solve issues. Whoever did the inspection on this room was not very thorough.

We had a wonderful trip as always. If I was an owner at BCV though, I would be very unhappy. Especially when you compare it to the beautiful work done at Vero.

And we make a big pot of coffee every morning.

The closet is unacceptable! Did you ask the front desk about that?

The front desk didn't know what I was talking about. As usual with WDW, their front desk and management personnel have very little authority to solve issues. Whoever did the inspection on this room was not very thorough.

We had a wonderful trip as always. If I was an owner at BCV though, I would be very unhappy. Especially when you compare it to the beautiful work done at Vero.

Maybe you should contact member services. You have valid complaints.

I'm glad you had a nice vacation!

IMG_1484.JPG

The lone piece of art breaking up the expansive amount of grey on the wall (besides the useless mirror near the bed). I like it, but it reminded me more of the Bahamas than anything else.

Last edited:
I thought I had photos of the paint drips on the floor and the chips on the drywall near the entry, but I can't seem to find them. The corner protectors were missing and the corners looked really bad already.

IMG_1475.JPG

The bathroom tile on the floor and shower were a nice change from the grey, but were very bland and lacked any charm. Previously there were blue shells on these tiles, but those were removed for this. It's not terrible and looks nice, but so does the bathroom at the Hilton in any town in the world.

The following show the redo of the inn room at Vero Beach. This redo is done right, and is what we have come to expect from Disney. This is what they are capable of doing and I think the BCV redo is not their best work. To put it bluntly, the design is cheap and the work is sloppy.

Note the fact that the armoire has six drawers for plenty of storage, along with storage in the little seating bench. There is also a full length mirror here as well as on the door of the bathroom. BCV has no full length mirror.
IMG_1679.JPG

More storage in the nightstand. Nice artwork throughout the room. Also, excellent lighting and nice headboards.
IMG_1678.JPG

Full size coffeemaker, properly sized fridge, covered cupboards and some nice tile work thrown in.
IMG_1687.JPG

Good lighting in the bathroom and lots of storage in the vanity.
IMG_1682.JPG

Hopefully our studio is not typical for this redo as far as the quality of workmanship and the sloppiness of the work. However, the design is what it is and for that Disney deserves a failing grade. They are capable of much better but chose a cheap and boring design with poor functionality. I think the entire budget must have been spent on the folding murphy bed. There was a time that we weren't even allowed 5 people in the one bedroom at OKW. Now they are cramming 5 into those small studios and the design of the room itself is suffering.

We stayed at the WLV last summer for two weeks after that redo and felt that that one was much better. It still had some charm, even with the folding trailer table murphy bed monstrosity.

Just a couple of notes.

I wonder if they don't put glass in because people slam the cabinet doors and break the glass.

And although I would like more storage for clothes, I'm glad there aren't drawers by the sink. I always end up forgetting stuff in those.

Do all Vero Beach studios have two beds? Rather than one bed and pull out.

Just a couple of notes.

I wonder if they don't put glass in because people slam the cabinet doors and break the glass.

And although I would like more storage for clothes, I'm glad there aren't drawers by the sink. I always end up forgetting stuff in those.

Do all Vero Beach studios have two beds? Rather than one bed and pull out.

We stayed in an Inn room. The studios do have a queen and sofa bed.

Exactly. Just switch out the doors for solid doors. It just looks cheap and unfinished.
Beyond that, for that sort of door, the glass is structural. A good pane of anti-shatter glass helps support the door.

Those doors will break easily, collect dust, and are otherwise just a total "you watched too many HGTV shows where they cut corners but it looked nice when staged, didn't you?"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter