Be Kind Out There and Hello Fellow Disboard Members

Jack Kerouac

DIS Veteran
Disney World is expensive and it requires a lot of planning. Kids are involved for many of us. It’s become a high-stakes game where tensions are often high. The heat doesn’t help either.

So here’s a thought, mainly because I have found some of the kindest, most supportive people on Disboards. And almost all of us are Disney fanatics.

What if there was a membership (nominal, not fee-based) for us who participate on the Disboards? Something to help us recognize each other when we visit parks or resorts.

I guess I imagine it mainly providing friendly hellos and maybe a reminder to be empathetic when seeing a stressed out parent or child. Just one more reminder to provide a kind word to someone in need of one.

Ultimately, I would hope a lanyard or button wouldn’t be necessary to do this, but we humans sometimes need visual reminders.

It’s just a thought since I’m often the parent in need of a kind word.

So if you are there now or will be soon, be kind and patient with others.

And one last thing, we visit WDW two weeks from tomorrow. I have three boys (8, 5, 3) and we’re staying at the Poly (Moorea) and AKV-Kidani. Feel free to say hello if you see us. Here’s a pic of my three caballeros.

Attachments

• IMG_1814.jpeg
    IMG_1814.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 19
We used to do this back in the day - You could recognize a fellow DISer by the lime green Mickey attached to their clothing/backpack/purse, etc. I'm not sure when it stopped. I'm sure a lot of us old-timers will chime in about their lime green Mickey experiences!

We used to do this back in the day - You could recognize a fellow DISer by the lime green Mickey attached to their clothing/backpack/purse, etc. I'm not sure when it stopped. I'm sure a lot of us old-timers will chime in about their lime green Mickey experiences!
Let’s bring it back then! There’s just so much pulling us down. So let’s find the good and the pull each other up.

The lime green mickey thing started because Home Depot used to have a Disney paint series, and instead of regular paint color chips, the Disney paint color chips were in the shape of Mickey's head- and one of them was lime/bright green! Some people would laminate the chips and attach them to their backpacks or whatever, but a lot of us would pin lime green ribbons (easier to come by) to our backpacks, shirts, etc. I still do this, but it's been a long time since I've seen anyone else do it. I think it's a SPLENDID idea to reinstate this action- LIME GREEN RIBBONS/MICKEYS FOR THE DIS-BOARDS!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Back in 2008 I had the lime green mickey on my bag and met a nice lady who was a fellow disboarder on the boat from PORS to Disney springs. I wish I could remember her name.

It seems like we will just miss you (we arrive at BLT in 24 days.

I agree completely. A wave and a kind word can go a long way. I will never forget stopping every 15 feet at Walmart to comfort my screaming (for NO reason) son when he was an infant. I was running on no sleep, and so on. Out of nowhere a woman approached me and said “you are doing great with him.” I think of her to this day. He’s almost 7 now.

I’m going to add green ribbon or a green Mickey item to my packing list and see what I come up with.

It seems like we will just miss you (we arrive at BLT in 24 days.

I agree completely. A wave and a kind word can go a long way. I will never forget stopping every 15 feet at Walmart to comfort my screaming (for NO reason) son when he was an infant. I was running on no sleep, and so on. Out of nowhere a woman approached me and said “you are doing great with him.” I think of her to this day. He’s almost 7 now.

I’m going to add green ribbon or a green Mickey item to my packing list and see what I come up with.
I’m going to do the same with the green ribbon. And I’m sure I will be jealous come the 24th and I’m sitting at home (but it will be a good kind of jealous, one with me hoping you have a wonderful WDW vacation). Thanks for sharing your story. There’s a lot of kindness in the world, especially small acts, that get overlooked and forgotten. I’m happy you didn’t forget that one. Saints aren’t made in a day. Have a wonderful vacation!!!

I'm in! Your boys are adorable btw and we will miss you by one week.
Thank you!!

That photo was from this weekend. It was Robin’s, my youngest, first ride on the I&M Canal trail. He’s wanted to be on be one of the trail riding gang for so long. He finally got his chance and he did so well, even if I had to strap his bike to mine and carry him at the end.

Hope you have a really wonderful and special vacation!

As a parent of now grown children I see you guys in the trenches with your little people and always try to give a smile or a kind look. I remember how hard those days could be. Kindness can be in short supply these days, and I this post is a lovely idea. :)

Back in 2008 I had the lime green mickey on my bag and met a nice lady who was a fellow disboarder on the boat from PORS to Disney springs. I wish I could remember her name.
That happened to me twice. Once on the bus to MK and another time as I was getting on the monorail.

I remember the lime green Mickeys! I wiped out our local store of their stock. I don't have a trip for a LONG time (next April) but I will certainly do this again!

I always provide a smile, even to the frustrated mom who repeatedly rammed her stroller into my ankle trying to wedge her way in between myself and my wife one day while I was attempting to get a nice photo of my daughters. She didn't seem to be having a bad day until she thought the space I was occupying was more important for her stroller/child.

Happy travels!

This is such a great idea! I'll be there the first week of December, and will display my lime green. I've never met another DISer, so please say hi if you see me :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter