Be Our Guest Breakfast - Child

TillyDe

Mouseketeer
I have heard that at the Quick Service locations a child can order an adult entree while using the dining plan. My grandson is a big eater. Can he order off of the adult menu at BOG at breakfast?
Thank you and have a great day.

No. The dining plan only allows for kid's to order off the kid's menu.

Thanks everyone. My grandson would eat the child's eggs and take mine. He is not much for the pastries.

Actually, yes. At a QS eatery there is no differentiation between adult and child credits. That said, even the adult entrees at BOG don't qualify as large. But yes, your grandson can use a child QS dining credit on his breakfast and order anything.
This should be the case (no differentiation), but someone posted recently that a CM at BOG said no-go and made them change their order at check in.

This should be the case (no differentiation), but someone posted recently that a CM at BOG said no-go and made them change their order at check in.
Weird. I don't even know how they'd know unless you somehow made a point of it. My kids both wandered off while I paid.

Disney's web site states a child must order for the child's menu when it is available. I just looked. So contrary to what has been floating around, Disney still says that.

My guess is at BOG, since you make a reservation they know you are ordering for a kid. Other restaurants wouldn't know

At least through September 2016, Disney did not distinguish between quick service child and adult meals. They are all the same credits and have the same value. Table service meals are different. You have adult table service and child table service. But quick service is just quick service. They changed the rules last year so that guests can share credits with non-dining-plan guests, so why couldn't you argue that a child is sharing one of your quick service credits, if this came up at BOG?

I researched this issue pretty heavily prior to our dining plan trips and there are many who seem to believe that a child can order off the adult or child quick service menu. I don't think my daughter ever ordered off the kids menu at quick service restaurants. She is just not a chicken nuggets kind of gal.

We have been to BOG at least three times on the dining plan and my daughter (kids dining plan) ordered the croissant donut every time. We did this last September on the dining plan and had no problem with it. We have also eaten lunch at BOG several times and she always ordered an adult meal there also. No CM ever said anything at all.

It is possible they changed the rules (or the enforcement of the rules?) in 2017, but I am certain that it was allowed last year.

Last edited:
Me too, and the database field for a QS credit does not seem to have changed, just what it entitles the holder to receive.

It is possible they changed the rules (or the enforcement of the rules?) in 2017, but I am certain that it was allowed last year
The dining plan rule has always been, and still is, that children must order off the children's menu. Enforcement seemed to relax last year. Or, maybe word just got out to more people about the loophole. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney started enforcing it again.

The dining plan rule has always been, and still is, that children must order off the children's menu. Enforcement seemed to relax last year. Or, maybe word just got out to more people about the loophole. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney started enforcing it again.
So it may be kind of like the situation where the table service menus say something like "For our guests 9 and under" and yet they allow anyone to order off the child's menu (I haven't tried to do this myself, but I have seen a number of threads where people have attested to adults being able to order off the child's menu).

Maybe it's a technical rule that is not enforced- more like an encouragement.

Could be that they become more strict with enforcement as more guests take advantage of it, but I think it will be hard for Disney to enforce it until their internal dining plan system (the credits) differentiates between child and adult quick service.

How old is your grandson? Last time we went, we upgraded (paid the difference) to the adult plan for DSD, who was 8 at the time and didn't want to eat typical kid food for 10 days. We had to put her at 10 years old and payed the difference. Mind you this was back in 2012, so the prices were different. You will have to do the math and see if it was worthwhile for you. It was for us and she was much happier at meal times.

ETA - I know we had free dining, so I think we just paid the extra for the adult vs. child ticket prices.

Last edited:
So it may be kind of like the situation where the table service menus say something like "For our guests 9 and under" and yet they allow anyone to order off the child's menu (I haven't tried to do this myself, but I have seen a number of threads where people have attested to adults being able to order off the child's menu).

Maybe it's a technical rule that is not enforced- more like an encouragement.

Could be that they become more strict with enforcement as more guests take advantage of it, but I think it will be hard for Disney to enforce it until their internal dining plan system (the credits) differentiates between child and adult quick service.
Before 2016, they'd simply restrict you to the makeup of your party. If you had 2 adults and 2 children, they wouldn't allow you to order 3 adult meals. People would cheat the system by standing in line twice and ordering two adult meals each time. When some blogs reported that you could now order for people in your party who weren't on your plan (which, by the way, was never officially confirmed by Disney), people just started ordering more adult meals. The kids meal restriction was never removed from the rule, but the apparent change in policy busted the loophole wide open. People started ordering more adult meals than they hadn't adults on the plan. Enforcement has always been left up to the CM, and, if it's obvious that you're ordering for a child, they should still be enforcing it.

Before 2016, they'd simply restrict you to the makeup of your party. If you had 2 adults and 2 children, they wouldn't allow you to order 3 adult meals. People would cheat the system by standing in line twice and ordering two adult meals each time. When some blogs reported that you could now order for people in your party who weren't on your plan (which, by the way, was never officially confirmed by Disney), people just started ordering more adult meals. The kids meal restriction was never removed from the rule, but the apparent change in policy busted the loophole wide open. People started ordering more adult meals than they hadn't adults on the plan. Enforcement has always been left up to the CM, and, if it's obvious that you're ordering for a child, they should still be enforcing it.

Yes the Key cards were clearly printed XA and XC so the CMs knew how many adults and children. I saw them numerous times restricting guests. I honestly don't understand why the system isn't set up with the number of adult meals and number of child meals. Not doing this creates many loopholes and creates loss of income. It's not hard to do. Even our Six Flags is programmed that if you don't scan to enter the park (they do finger scans as well) then your Dining Plan and coupons associated with your AP can not be used.

Yes the Key cards were clearly printed XA and XC so the CMs knew how many adults and children. I saw them numerous times restricting guests. I honestly don't understand why the system isn't set up with the number of adult meals and number of child meals. Not doing this creates many loopholes and creates loss of income. It's not hard to do. Even our Six Flags is programmed that if you don't scan to enter the park (they do finger scans as well) then your Dining Plan and coupons associated with your AP can not be used.
Per the plan, kids can order from the regular menu when a children's menu isn't available. That seems to be the technical limitation; they have to allow a kids credit to be used in that scenario. They'd have to roll out some sort of kids meal option and train staff to handle it. I guess it was easier to just keep everything in one bucket.

I have to imagine they've done a cost analysis on it. When they went to RFID for the soda fountain at the resorts, I was surprised that they committed so much technology expense for something that supposedly costs them nothing. I can't understand why they haven't devised a solution to the kids credit loophole yet.

Everyone above is correct (isn't that helpful :rolleyes1)

TS credits for the regular dining plan are separated into child and adult entitlements and are displayed as such on your receipt

QS credits were never set up as child or adult. You get a lump of them

It was up to the CM at the register to enforce what is on the key card (2 A 2 C and meals purchased accordingly)
then everyone got smart on how to make it work by ordering twice, all adult meals

Now here we are. All of the above MAY still be true.

Best advice, I would attempt to use the credits as you like, specifically for adult meals
If the CM says no, be gracious
(then send up the other adult and buy what you want :stir:)

Please note the only reason I feel this way is Disney has had the opportunity for YEARS to close this gap and break out the credits according to adult vs child
they have chosen not to

if they don't care, why should we? :crazy::flower1:

How does this work when using the pre-order option? My daughter, although a child, has a big appetite and would easily finish an adult meal. I do plan to use preorder. Would I be able to order an adult meal ahead of time? If this is definitely not allowed I won't do it but I'm still confused if the no differentiation between credits means it is allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter