"Beach Sand Renourishment" at Poly?

clarkfamily

Mouseketeer
I notice that the Poly is undergoing "beach sand renourishment" at the end of Decemember and first week of January. Anyone been there during "beach sand renourishment" before...or know what it will likely entail? How might we notice this during a stay? Thanks in advance for anything you know!

Basically they truck in more sand and spread it over the beach using front-end loaders. It will be noisy while they do this.

It says beach closed from 12/24 till 1/10 so does that mean u can't lay out on the beach if weather is warm enough or see wishes sitting on the beach or their movies and s'mores on beach will be closed too? We just switched our wl reserve to poly to 24th and 25th to enjoy the resort and beach? Should we switch back to wl? Would hate if there is no beach access?

It says beach closed from 12/24 till 1/10

This is a bit stressful to me. Where might I be able to learn more about this? We really don't plan on using the beach except to watch fireworks, but I'm not crazy about the idea of huge equipment and noise while we use the pool. Just wondering if anyone is more in the loop on this than I am and knows what to expect.

Called disney, they said that they don't show renourishment scheduled in the system :confused3 Not sure how some other sites are reporting & where they got info? Asked disney what exactly it involved when they did this in the past & all they said was they renourish the sand at night. But all this still doesn't answer the question whether there'll be noisy equipment at night & also if at day time the beach access will be limited, etc. Hoping this doesn't have much impact though & it's just a "quietly" done overnite thing :)

Thanks for sharing your information, Peggy. I'm as confused as you are now, and hoping for the best. Please post more information here if you see or hear anything else about this. I have an email into Steve/Tikiman, and I'm waiting to hear if he knows anything about what this process is like.

Just wanted to bump this up for selfish reasons. If they are going to be messing with the sand it will totally mess up my dream of watching Wishes on the beach!:sad1:

Anyone have any new info? Did you hear back from tikiman yet OP??

I sure don't mind the bump! No, I haven't heard back from Tikiman yet. I just emailed him this morning, so I'm still hoping he'll get some info. for us that will be reliable!

Thanks, OP. We are very much looking forward to our first stay at the Poly, and being able to see MK fireworks and the EWP from the beach played a part in the fun we had planned at the resort. Hopefully with your email to Tikiman and the host of knowledge on the boards we will get a definitive answer!

Thank you for trying to get the information from us also. We are staying at the Polynesian from 12/29 to 1/2 and want to be able to watch the fireworks from the beach. Can't imagine with the amount we are paying nightly for the room they would do something like this at one of the most crowded, and expensive weeks of the year!

Does anyone, anyone know anything more about this?

I haven't heard anything from Steve yet, but I sure am hoping that someone out there has firsthand knowledge of what the sand renourishment projects are like at the Poly.

Those of us subscribed to this thread are trying to find out:
Is the beach closed to all usage during the entire renourishment period? If so, are there any alternatives for watching Wishes from the Poly?
Does sand renourishment take place during the day, during the night, or both? What can we expect to see or hear during this process?

Thanks to anyone who has expertise on this!

I heard back from Tikiman but I still don't have much to report. He does not know whether the information is accurate and says that there really isn't any reliable way to find out -- as calling often leads to getting inaccurate information from CMs.

He doesn't have any clear understanding either of what the process would entail if it is happening. Here is quote from his email:

" From what I remember they did put up a barrier to the beach and heavy machinery is needed to get the sand in but I don’t remember seeing what they used to spread it around after that. I am not sure how many days it took for them to complete the work either but going in January I would say you would be using the beach and pool area much less because of the temperature outside. I don’t know that I would be thrilled about them doing that while I was there but I don’t think I would change my reservations because there is so much more the Polynesian has to offer. Also they typically do one beach at a time so that should leave you another beach to go and enjoy the fireworks. The chances are it will not take long or might even get changed when they decide to do it but it would not be a very good site to see if it was going on. "

I appreciate his input, for sure, and I understand that going in January involves the risk of dealing with refurbishment projects. It seems strange though that this would be scheduled for Christmas week. And while I don't mind dealing with the project itself if that is what comes to pass, I just wish there were a reliable source of information so that paying guests would know in advance what to expect and could make an informed decision about where to stay.

Ugh.

I'm still hoping that someone who is more familiar with this process will spot this thread and weigh in! :confused3

really strange timing- NYE is the busiest night on the polly beach and the reason why a lot of people book the polly hotel and restaurants that night.

really strange timing- NYE is the busiest night on the polly beach and the reason why a lot of people book the polly hotel and restaurants that night.

Exactly. :confused3

Seems so strange, but several sites are reporting it.
Do we assume then that it must be true, or is there a way to get more direct information?

Thanks for the new info OP. I am glad that Tikiman got back to you, but like you I am not thrilled with his response. At the very least, the sand project won't take place on both beaches. I would love to have a final answer though. While it is likely that the weather will be too cool to enjoy the beach or the volcano pool, we have been twice in the past at Christmastime, and had several days when pool use was possible.

I guess we have to hope for the best??

Thanks for working on this. I appreciate your help!

Odd choice of words; "renourishment" vs. "replenishment", since nothing grows on the sand, why would they need to "renourish"? Replace, I can understand. Regardless, I don't see why this would interfere with watching wishes from the beach. I don't think that there will be a lot of unattended equipment.

Odd choice of words; "renourishment" vs. "replenishment"

Agreed. :goodvibes

The strange part is, several websites are reporting this as "Poly beach closed." Which...call me a worrier...seems to suggest the beach will be closed. :confused3 Tikiman, above, also seems to remember that the beach will be blocked with barriers during this process.

Being pretty new to this, though, I have no idea where these websites get their information. And if these websites are unreliable, I have no idea where to go to get reliable information.

This project is being reported, for example, by DIS itself, Intercot, WDWDads, Magical Kingdoms, but no mention of it at AllEars. I have no way to judge the relative reliability of these sources.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter