Bean Counters and shortsightedness

Almost every line was 30 minutes + when I was recently there. Even the lousy rides like Figment and Dinosaur were 20 minutes. It is way too crowded still.
Figment was 40-45 min when we were there last month. None of the rides broke down on us.

The fundamental rule for a person who is in a "lead" position is to never put your company in a negative light. I don't doubt you spoke to someone that day, but I seriously doubt he was a "lead" of anything. He sounded like a person who's been with the company for 27 hours, not 27 years.
So that is what you got out of my comment?

Apparently you have never spoken to a person who is burnt out, aggravated and annoyed with situations. I work in a corporate environment. It happens.

The fundamental rule for a person who is in a "lead" position is to never put your company in a negative light. I don't doubt you spoke to someone that day, but I seriously doubt he was a "lead" of anything. He sounded like a person who's been with the company for 27 hours, not 27 years.
Spoken like a true Disney Apologist. FWIW, probably nothing to you, my husband is a CIO. Sometimes he is very real with clients. Shockingly real.

Increasing the prices on food isn't going to help with THAT.
You are absolutely correct!!

This economy is a major reason the price of food has gone up. Disney greed is the rest. When we went year-after-year, up through 2019, we thought much of the food was overpriced, but that is vacationing and we were happy to pay it. We went earlier this year with a large group and found not only did the price of food go up something crazy, but the portion sizes and mostly the quality dropped immensely. I am okay with them trying to keep up with the increases happening with the economical changes, but I would expect the food quality remain the same. Everything was different, except the classics like funnel cakes, Mickey bars, etc. May also be the overuse of bio-engineered "food".

Spoken like a true Disney Apologist. FWIW, probably nothing to you, my husband is a CIO. Sometimes he is very real with clients. Shockingly real.
Good for him.

So in the scenario of a Disney malfunctioning ride, do you expect him to spend the bulk of his time helping the engineers and CM, or lament with a few guests over his personal working conditions?

I have been saying this for years as well. Less places to stay, more places to play.
Ahh, but the economics of it! DVC is a money stream, hard to interrupt or disrupt due to signed contracts. While I don't have the quarterly results in front of me to give specific numbers, yet common sense says Disney will build DVC anywhere and everywhere for the financial support of consistent cash flow. Building to Marriott conformity ensures cost effective build out, mass production even, with hardly a whimper that the new Polynesian tower has little to blend in with the log houses of old. Just chip away at the whole resort concept with slow erosion of all perks that made WDW what is was. Stopping building places to stay will give financial earthquakes and Peltz will have more ammo!

Ahh, but the economics of it! DVC is a money stream, hard to interrupt or disrupt due to signed contracts. While I don't have the quarterly results in front of me to give specific numbers, yet common sense says Disney will build DVC anywhere and everywhere for the financial support of consistent cash flow. Building to Marriott conformity ensures cost effective build out, mass production even, with hardly a whimper that the new Polynesian tower has little to blend in with the log houses of old. Just chip away at the whole resort concept with slow erosion of all perks that made WDW what is was. Stopping building places to stay will give financial earthquakes and Peltz will have more ammo!
just another resort. thats where we're headed.

You are absolutely correct!!

This economy is a major reason the price of food has gone up. Disney greed is the rest. When we went year-after-year, up through 2019, we thought much of the food was overpriced, but that is vacationing and we were happy to pay it. We went earlier this year with a large group and found not only did the price of food go up something crazy, but the portion sizes and mostly the quality dropped immensely. I am okay with them trying to keep up with the increases happening with the economical changes, but I would expect the food quality remain the same. Everything was different, except the classics like funnel cakes, Mickey bars, etc. May also be the overuse of bio-engineered "food".
Yes the departing - or departed ? CFO was on record as saying they could decrease food portion sizes and it would probably help the guests manage their weight as well - trying to spin this as a "win - win" absolutely horrid. But this company will apparently do anything to justify increasing prices while decreasing offerings.

I mean this is a bit far afield of where the convo started - but I'm not sure I agree with this - as a DVC member. DVC creates an initial burst of income - one Disney is probably addicted to to be honest - but cashflow ? Sure DVC members are going to use their points, so they're reliable guests - BUT - disney doesn't make any hotel revenue off them. Our dues only pay for maintenance, non-profit. The only cash flow they get is what we spend on tickets and in the parks - which - yea my family spends too much. But - we'd have paid that, AND the price of a hotel if we didn't have DVC. DVC saves us a TON of money every year. And I belong to a bunch of DVC groups where, its pretty apparent these folks are really starting to constrain their Disney spending, in reaction to price increases, and its more and more common for people to just rent out their points, meaning they are now poaching Disney's hotel revenue directly. I'm not sure how this works as a consistent cash flow - I have to think that just filling hotels would be better, as you'd have hotel revenue and the ticket/park revenue. But hey - Disney has a ton of data I don't, so maybe they've got the math right, maybe they'd rather have a dependable cash flow, if lower, than a variable cash flow with better peaks, but worse lows.

Last edited:
It’s been a long while since I have been on the boards, have not travelled to Disney for years. First Covid and then the absolute expense of going to Disney AND the level of difficulty trying to plan a trip for a family of 6.

I flirted with the idea about a year ago, and came to the theme parks forum to get a feel, and one of the top threads was ‘if I budget 1000 usd will that be enough for the genie fast passes, we are going for five days and a family of 4. Wow.

I read that Disney parks is still making a pile of money, but more money from fewer guests. I also had friends who travelled to Disney over the 4th of July, and they told me the morning of July 3, the crowds were low and they walked on to many rides. I don’t know if crowds are still thin at Disney, but if they are I am going to say Disney is in big trouble for long term survival.

What the bean counters forget, is that they are not creating a new massive generation of nostalgic Disney goers. They are shrinking the base of people who are going to think, ‘I can’t wait to take my kid to Disney and let them experience the magic of PeterPan’. They have priced disney out of the range of any average family (in my opinion of course) and the fan base is shrinking. Over time, this attrition is going to kill Disney.

Do you think the direction Disney is going is going to be sustainable in the long run? Maybe the bean counters just figure that is the next guys problem? I don’t know. But I think what they are doing is crippling a giant I use to love so much.
Let me reach back many years Chrysler was profitable car company in high demand. Now they are a piece of junk. Two things brought them down. Bean counters and greed.

If you want to experience quality go to a foreign Disney park.​

They are sucking domestic disney dry !!!!

That 60 billion dollars they are talking about. Domestic Disney will see little if any of it.
hope Peltz is successful. Things may change. If not change will not happen.

Let me reach back many years Chrysler was profitable car company in high demand. Now they are a piece of junk. Two things brought them down. Bean counters and greed.

If you want to experience quality go to a foreign Disney park.​

They are sucking domestic disney dry !!!!

That 60 billion dollars they are talking about. Domestic Disney will see little if any of it.
hope Peltz is successful. Things may change. If not change will not happen.

While I agree that there are issues, I am not sure Peltz and Perlmutter are the folks to fix it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter