Been to New Orleans?

LeanneDownUnder

Mouseketeer
Thinking of adding a few days in New Orleans to our WDW trip next year, anyone been and if so thoughts on where to stay and things to do. General hints and tips.

Thanks

Yes, and loved it. Was part of my first trip to USA and it was my favourite place :) We stayed at the Holiday Inn just off Bourbon St, it was the one place in the trip I didn't thoroughly research beforehand and it was terrible. Don't stay there. Stopped at the Monte Leone for a drink, and it was gorgeous. Depends on your budget, though. Nightlife can be a bit sketchy, so it's up to you and what you're into. The streets are beautiful during the daytime. We did a couple of tours while there - one with a woman who calls herself Bloody Mary to visit the two older cemeteries and a few other sites. She was a wealth of information and such a great character to hang out with. We did the voodoo and Marie Laveau tour - http://bloodymarystours.com/tours-html/van_tours-html/ Another was a combined trip seeing the old plantations and houses and then a alligator cruise. I think it was this one - http://www.plantationadventure.com/tour_details.php?tid=3

I'm a native South Louisianian--New Orleans is one of my happy places. Stay in the quarter, central business district or warehouse district. All are right next to each other. Enjoy! Use common sense with your safety and you'll be fine.

Fascinating how different people perceive different cities. I've been to New Orleans once and thought it was easily the biggest pit I had ever visited in my life. Wouldn't go back there in a million years. City was filthy, French quarter was grossly over rated & the vibe of the whole place was dangerous.

But then Memphis has the 3rd highest murder rate in the States, and I'd travel there any day of the week. Loved it!

Enjoy your trip regardless! Different horses for different courses.

I did a solo trp to New Orleans and loved it. Its one of the places I want to go back to. I stayed at a lovely old style hotel called Chateau Dupre http://www.chateauduprehotel.com/ Its at the corner of Canal Street (the main street dividing the old and new town) and Decateur Street in the French Quarter. Decateur Street leads straight down to Jackson Square and the French Market. All places well worth visiting.

Everyone talks about Bourbon Street, but I didnt like it. Its party central and reminded me of the the Strip in Vegas. I only went there once, to see it and eat at Hard Rock Cafe. The other place worth visiting on Bourbon Street is the Jazz cafe where there are statures of the Jazz musicians.

I did the open top Big Red Bus tour http://www.citysightseeingneworleans.com/ now that was one of the highlights. Brings you to all the places you really should see. I didnt have time to get off and explore the different areas, but you really need to take a day to do this tour and get off at many places. Just a word of warning though, many shops sell bus tickets to the other tour buses, which are not double decker open top. I think they get commission to sell them, so they dont want you use the open top double decker bus company. Some shops ladies got annoyed that I was very clear on the bus tour I wanted to do and wouldn't buy the tickets they were offering.

There is also quite a decent shopping mall down at the end of Canal Street, where the river boats go from.

This is great! Thanks.
We are not huge night life people so thats fine and the history and architecture look amazing!
The Bloody Mary Tours Look like great fun FireflyFi, thanks for the tip on your Motel !

Thanks for the Link to the motel Badpinktink, will check it out and we love some good Jazz so will check out Bourbon St.

Lucky we all like different things GrazingGoat it makes the world go round LOL but thanks for your thoughts.

If you want jazz nightlife, check out freemen's street. It's what Bourbon street used to be years ago.

Also, The Gumbo shop, just up a block from the cathedral is a place I've been eating at for 30 years. It's awesome. Also, Magazine street for some fun shopping in the garden district, and Royal Street in the quarter.

Forever New Orleans (there are like 5 locations and they all have something different!) and Fleurty Girl are fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter