Benefits to booking thru DCL vs travel agency

We've consistently gotten much better rates than DCL when booking through our TA...he's a cruise only agent. Out of respect for the rules of this board, I cannot recommend him specifically. However, I would definitely recommend that you shop around, and try an agent that specializes in cruising...

Good Luck!!

We stick to DCL. I guess we feel like we are going straight to the source and don't have a middle man to deal with. I have read many good and bad things on this board regarding travel agents. Most of the bad seems to surround needing to get in touch with DCL for a change or question. When you book through DCL, you can call direct and take care of it or check your reservation on line. When you book through a TA, you have to contact the TA to contact DCL and then the reverse to get your reply. This is NOT to trash TA's. I think most that use the good one's sure stick by them. I just like dealing direct. And, with DCL, there is not often a better deal elsewhere, from our experiences.

The only advantage is price. Some travel agents will discount the trip by paying back part of their comission to entice you to book with them. Many will give the exact same price as DCL. The point about have to talk to the TA about every little question is valid. Once a TA has the booking, DCL won't answer questions. You have to call the TA who has to call DCL, ask the question then go back to you with the answer. I have found prices ranging from exactly the same as DCL, to a little higher, to discounts ranging from $150 to $400 off the DCL rate.

I think the advantage (or lack thereof) lies with the agency. We used to book directly through DCL but switch to Dreams Unlimited to get the rebate and also because they watch for the price to drop, which means I don't have to be bothered doing that. Definitely well worth it to me!
The agency should be providing some value-added service to you. If not, then just go directly with DCL so there won't be a middleman.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We love Dreams Unlimited also. When our 7 day cruise went down $800, they notified us immediately. DCL on our first 4 day cruise did not. It was up to me to keep checking the prices.

Good luck,
Lisa

We are going on our 7th DCL cruise next June.

On most of our cruises, we book straight with DCL and then move it to Costco.

Our 7 day June, 2003 cruise for 4 was $5375 through DCL. We moved it to Costco and the price went to $4903 - a break of $472. We kept our $200 credit for booking on board.

Then, we'll pay it using our Costco American Express card and get another 1.5% rebate. That's another $75!

tstobb: Boy, you weren't kidding about Mouse Ear vacations! I emailed yesterday and was contacted immediately by a WONDERFUL travel agent. Unfortunately their price was the same as DCL's price and they would add a cancellation fee. But, goodness, she was nice and helpful! The cancellation fee bothers me. I've seen it with several agencies. I really like the thought with DCL that you have until 60 days to know "for sure" without penality.

As someone mentioned, Dreams Unlimited Travel does offer a rebate and the expertise of people who have done numerous Disney cruises (I have done 10 myself - including all itineraries). We do watch for the price to go down and nothing pleases us more than to save a client money! We have a very quick turnaround time for questions and changes since most of work 7 days a week too.

AND, there is no cancellation penalty, our policy is the same as DCL's.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Cathy

Working with Dreams is great! Even though you lose a bit of control, it's SOOO much easier to just email your agent with questions than to have to call DCL yourself.

I booked on board to get the $200 credit & transfered to Dreams to get the rebate (& the service :) )

We booked both of our cruises with a cruise only ta, and this last time, really didn't get anything for it. We got the book rate, and not much else. Not even any flowers in the room, like our first cruise.

If we don't go with the Disney Vacation Club, we will probably book through DU.

How does one go about transfering a reservation to Dreams , etc. ? We just booked the Eastern for next year while we were onboard and we will get a $200 onboard credit.

Rob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter