Besides Aulani, where else can we get shaved ice?

helenk

I wish I was in Disney World
We love the shaved ice at Aulani but would like to try the shaved ice when we are out touring the island. Any recommendations? Are there food trucks that offer the shaved ice?

We love the shaved ice at Aulani but would like to try the shaved ice when we are out touring the island. Any recommendations? Are there food trucks that offer the shaved ice?
Matsumoto Shave Ice on the North Shore is probably the most famous, but I've heard via rumor that Disney is somehow partnered with them and actually uses the same ingredients.

There are several shops and food trucks on the north shore with it. I'm sure there are others around the island too.

Thank you. We will keep an eye out when we drive up the North Shore. This is our 3rd trip to Aulani so we want to see more of the island and try some different food and treats along the way.

Thank you. We will keep an eye out when we drive up the North Shore. This is our 3rd trip to Aulani so we want to see more of the island and try some different food and treats along the way.
Matsumoto was apparently Barack Obama's favorite spot, if that does anything for you.

If you ever need it close by, the ice cream store across the street used to have it.

As you leave Aulani going toward Waikiki, you will pass Waikele Outlet Mall, near the Leonard's Malasada truck, there's also a shave ice truck so you don't HAVE to drive out to the North Shore to get shave ice. There's also Island Shave Ice in Kapolei.
As a local, I prefer shave ice places that use fresh fruit to make their syrups instead of the artificially flavored syrups. If you are going to the North Shore, I'd advise Kula Shave Ice North Shore in Haleiwa which is a fresh fruit syrup spot. You can find them on Instagram for pictures. Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha in Aina Haina is another fresh fruit syrup spot as well as Island Vintage Shave Ice in Royal Hawaiian Center, Waikiki.
Other local shave ice shops include Baldwin's Sweet Shop in Aiea, Ice Garden in Aiea (regular shave ice plus Taiwanese shave ice toppings), Island Snow in Kailua has been visited by Barack Obama, Shimazu's Shave Ice in Honolulu or their 2nd location next door to Rainbow Drive Inn on Kapahulu on the way to the Honolulu Zoo. Waiola Shave Ice is near the University of Hawaii.

I like Aokis up north. It’s a hole in the wall a few doors Oceanside from matsumoto’s-which has the good yet crowded tourist ambiance. On south side, I like Waiola’s a bit more and never tried Shimizus, nearby is Rainbow’s yummy chili and a local style plate lunches.

I second Aoki's - especially with ice cream in the middle and sweetened condensed milk on top!

Ooh the condensed milk!!! Yummy. If Baldwins is where I think it is, there is no ambiance at all, in a strip mall but it is off the freeway near the stadium and right near The Alley that has some favorite local plate lunches and well known desserts.

Matsumoto Shave Ice on the North Shore is probably the most famous, but I've heard via rumor that Disney is somehow partnered with them and actually uses the same ingredients.
Interesting, hadn't heard that before! The ingredients could be the same, but we didn't think the one at Aulani was shaved as finely. Its hard to explain, but after having a few different ones over the course of 2 and a half weeks, we learned there was an actual art to shaving the ice. Perhaps Aulani has more limited equipment or perhaps the CMs aren't as experienced, but we though Matsumoto's was the best when it came to that - probably because they are so busy and doing it all day every day. The ingredients and flavors are certainly important, but its the texture that makes it IMO.

So many yummy choices. I am going to have to make a spread sheet just for our shaved ice stops.

Very good recommendations, but have you tried the dole whip at Alani ?
I don't think so. Of course I have had the Dole whips at the Magic Kingdom.

There are a few locations around Oahu that serve Dole Whip besides at Aulani. Dole Plantation would be the best place to get Dole Whip since it's not just the soft serve, they also have sundaes, pineapple boats & other treats using Dole Whip. Kokoro Cafe in Royal Hawaiian Center, Waikiki would be the next fanciest version of DW. Other smaller counter service restaurants also carry DW like Oh My Grill, Leeward Drive In (when their machine is not broken) & other shops in Waikiki. Aulani's version is basic DW in a cup: pineapple, vanilla or pineapple/vanilla swirl.

There are a few locations around Oahu that serve Dole Whip besides at Aulani. Dole Plantation would be the best place to get Dole Whip since it's not just the soft serve, they also have sundaes, pineapple boats & other treats using Dole Whip. Kokoro Cafe in Royal Hawaiian Center, Waikiki would be the next fanciest version of DW. Other smaller counter service restaurants also carry DW like Oh My Grill, Leeward Drive In (when their machine is not broken) & other shops in Waikiki. Aulani's version is basic DW in a cup: pineapple, vanilla or pineapple/vanilla swirl.

The best Dole Whip we've ever had was from a food truck on Sandy Beach. It included fresh pineapple. I'm not a Disney Dole Whip fan because I think they taste like chemicals. However, this Dole Whip was amazing!

Ulu currently has mango and vanilla, and Little Opihi has pineapple and watermelon with cute sundae options. My youngest and husband just got pineapple though, and it was good!😋

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter