Best character meal for "adventurous" eaters

2019TripIdeas

Mouseketeer
Which character meal would you recommend for kids (and adults) that are more adventurous eaters?

My kids don't really do the standard burger/grilled cheese/pizza/ "kid food" at home, so I don't love the idea of paying for a meal that they'd just pick at. When we go out to eat at home, we typically do thai/vietnamese/japanese/indian etc so they are definitely not afraid of spices or flavor.

If it's helpful, 2 adults and 3 kids (will be 4.5, 2.5 and 18 months when we travel). One with a few food allergies, but I know Disney can work around that easily.

I think I've found some great options for other meals (at resorts, or in parks where I'm sure the kids will be happy to share an adult meal that's more 'interesting' than what's on kids menu for lack of a better word?) but I know the kids would LOVE a meal with character interaction.

a third for Tusker House. hands down.

Although ANY buffet will have non-kid options your kids can choose from.

Definitely Tusker House and Akershaus is also a good suggestion. The food at Cinderellas Royal Table is good for lunch and dinner all though I dont know that the kids meals there are super adventurous. It has beef tenderloin and turkey pot pie [the adult meals are really good]

On a separate note, look into Boma while you are there at the AK resort. It is nt character dining but it is one of our very favorite Disney restaurants

1900 Park Fare for dinner at the Grand Floridian is another one that has a variety of offerings for adults but the kid menu may be too basic ...this is what i found online for dinner there:

Signature Offerings:
small_gold_star.png
- Floridian Strawberry Soup with fresh strawberries, grilled Verlaso Salmon with avocado salsa, Bucatini, Bratwurst, Sauerkrat and Assorted Sushi Roll, Ginger Soy Glazed Salmon with Mango Salsa, Fried Sustainable Mississippi Catfish with Remoulade, Mongolian Beef Stir Fry, BBQ Spiced Grilled Chicken, Curried Chicken, Honey Sriracha Salmon

For Children Ages 3-9
Kid's Station - Macaroni & Cheese, Pizza, Corn, Chicken Nuggets, Pasta with Olive Oil, Turkey Meatballs, Cheese Ravioli, Broccoli, Hot Dogs, Taco bar and toppings

Another vote for Tusker House (lunch or dinner) at AK.

I think it is exactly what you are looking for. The food is African / Indian / Asian. Mostly rotisserie meats, stir-frys, and curries. There’s usually a selection of rice, couscous, or quinoa, some type of hummus and pita, as well as other vegetables and fruits, plus desserts. It is a buffet, so it’s great for both picky and adventurous eaters since they can try new foods without worrying they won’t like what they order. The characters are Safari Donald and friends who will lead the kids on a fun parade through the restaurant. If you aren’t interested in the meet-n-greet pic with Donald, you can skip it, and will be seated faster. The theming of the restaurant is done very well. I especially love all the fabric hung above the buffet area. There is also a dining package available at this restaurant. If you are planning on watching Rivers of Light, it would make sense to book the dining package instead of a standard ADR. This will give you reserved seating for the show. Also, on another note, make sure to ask to try the Jungle Juice. It’s a mix of guava and other juices and very good.

There are other restaurants at Disney that serve Asian food; however, none of them have characters. The next most adventurous character meal would probably be Akershurs in Epcot, but it is Norwegian, not Asian. Akershurs also hosts the princesses, not Mickey and friends.

Another vote for Tusker House and may I recommend an early breakfast? We get the pre-opening breakfast eat a great meal and really good character interaction and then the park is usually open and we walk over to the Kilimanjaro Safari and ride it Standby. The line is pretty much non existent and you save a fast pass this way.

1900 Park Fare for dinner at the Grand Floridian is another one that has a variety of offerings for adults but the kid menu may be too basic ...this is what i found online for dinner there:

Signature Offerings:
small_gold_star.png
- Floridian Strawberry Soup with fresh strawberries, grilled Verlaso Salmon with avocado salsa, Bucatini, Bratwurst, Sauerkrat and Assorted Sushi Roll, Ginger Soy Glazed Salmon with Mango Salsa, Fried Sustainable Mississippi Catfish with Remoulade, Mongolian Beef Stir Fry, BBQ Spiced Grilled Chicken, Curried Chicken, Honey Sriracha Salmon

For Children Ages 3-9
Kid's Station - Macaroni & Cheese, Pizza, Corn, Chicken Nuggets, Pasta with Olive Oil, Turkey Meatballs, Cheese Ravioli, Broccoli, Hot Dogs, Taco bar and toppings

It is a buffet so the kids get the same offerings that the adults do. It is not a seperate line. The OP might do well with any buffets as they all have a variety of offerings. We like Boma, my sons like Biergarten. Neither of these are Character meals though. 1900 Park Fare is one of the most fun character interactions.

Sounds like Tusker House would be our best bet-- thank you all! Is it hard to get an ADR there? They like the standard characters and it sounds like that's what we'd be getting there, and yes, all food sounds like what they'd like (hummus, curries, etc.) I'll look into Akershus and 1900 Park Fare too- my kids aren't big into princesses, but the food might appeal.

And yes, I think Boma and Biergarten would be awesome for the kids too. I think we'll only do one character meal on our trip, so plenty of time for the other great spots too! Biergarten had kind of been what I was thinking for our Epcot day, because I think they'd love the music, and I remember going there when I was younger and all the kids dancing down in the front (hoping that still happens- it was adorable!)

Thank you so much for suggestions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter