Best CP Positions?

Well, I just got my acceptance letter about an hour ago and was happy to see I was accepted for merchandise. Does anyone have any comments on that role? From experience? Where did you work? What were your hours like? Anything other comments please throw them in!

Congrats! I did merchandise for my first CP. I was mostly in Fantasyland at the MK (though I also did 2 weeks each in Liberty Square and Adventureland). It was not too bad. I mostly closed, so my hours were something like 3-6pm until park close (which could be something like 10pm until 3am- darn EMH).

Well, I just got my acceptance letter about an hour ago and was happy to see I was accepted for merchandise. Does anyone have any comments on that role? From experience? Where did you work? What were your hours like? Anything other comments please throw them in!

I worked as a merchandise hostess at Toontown in Fall 2005 and had the best time of my life!! My hours were mostly night but Toontown does not stay open for EMH so we were done earlier than most other merch CMs. I also worked at strollers for two weeks (thats got to be on of the hardest jobs), Pirates for a week and Tomorrowland for a week. Out of all of these places Toontown blows the rest out of the water. The managers are awesome, the atmosphere is awesome, and the characters are there as well so at night they come out and do a dance party with the kids. Its an awesome experience!!!

I agree, doing the Dance Party is a lot of fun. We enjoyed doing canga lines.

I agree, doing the Dance Party is a lot of fun. We enjoyed doing canga lines.

Yes!! and the cha cha slide. On our last night of the CP all of us got together turned on the cha cha slide at full volume and danced. It was so much fun.

I currently work Attractions and I do like my job, just not the hours. I don't like being told a couple days in advance that I'll be working until 1am, making me have three 10-11 hr shifts next week but thats probably because we are short-staffed at my location. I feel burnout coming on.

I'm sure other Attractions areas aren't that bad, it just depends on your location.

what attractions r u working at and how/ when do we find out which attractions i will be working?!:thumbsup2

what attractions r u working at and how/ when do we find out which attractions i will be working?!:thumbsup2

You will find out what attraction you are assigned to on check-in day. They will verify your identity, have you fill out housing paperwork, and then you will start in a line beginning with which park and area you are assigned to. For me, that was my favorite part of check-in. Finding out that I was working in MK on Main Street really made me happy happy joy joy! :banana:

ok so has anybody....worked in the costuming dept??? or know anybody???

i have gotten that role....but i have never ran across anybody who has had that role!

i have gotten that role....but i have never ran across anybody who has had that role!

I have never known any CPs personally who have had that role but since there are costuming at all for parks I know they have a lot of cast members in the department. No worries you will meet a lot of different cast members so it should be a fun experience for you.

I think attractions is up there as one of the better job. it was my first choice but like all the job there are pros and cons

You find out your location on Day 2 of check-in.

Not me, but I had friends who were in costuming. They seemed to like it.

if you have magic kingdom it may even be longer than that before you find out your exact location.

On my check-in day I just knew I was operations.

On day 2, I found out I was Ad/Lib ops (Adventureland/Liberty Square Attractions).

The first day in the magic kingdom was called "Be our Guest." They showed us (a group of about 30-50) around the park and took us on a few of the attractions. We were essentially Disney's "guests." Beware, it starts VERY early (before the park even opens) and traditions attire is required.

At the end of the first day we were separated into our areas so I was with other Ad/Lib cast members.

The next few days is called "for our guest." They show us around our area and teach us about Disney guest interaction (for me it was called the 7 guest service guidelines-- but now it's called BASICS). You have to walk up to cast members and ask them questions as a guest to see how they answer you.

It wasn't until the end of the first or second day of "for our guest" that we even found out our exact attractions.

I was assigned Jungle Cruise. It was probably the best assignment I could have ever received. I loved every second of working there and go back as often as possible. I became best friends with the people I worked with (MANY CPs work there, along with many younger full and part-timers) and we hung out with each other far more than any of our roommates or the other people in our complexes.

It was fun, but I've gotta tell you, receiving a 24 page spiel was a bit daunting on the first day :)

wow 24 pages! thats crazy! i cant wait to find out what attraction i get... im really sure what i want though?! :confused3

I would love to do JC or GMR. I could probably speil the whole of JC, just from riding it so many times.

it kind of sucks that i'm addicted to reading about the cp program when i don't even graduate until this may. ughhhh. anyone know when i can apply for spring 09 or is that not up yet?

it kind of sucks that i'm addicted to reading about the cp program when i don't even graduate until this may. ughhhh. anyone know when i can apply for spring 09 or is that not up yet?

Not yet- that'll be up and online sometime in the fall. Hang in there though!

They should start applying for Spring 2009 in late Sept/early Oct.

Wait, did you say you are graduating this May? If so, you have to apply for the Fall program. You have to be currently a student to apply for the CP.

I was thinking of doing "Mousekeeping", the housekeeper thing.

The problem is, Im not good with work with people much...when I get nervous I stutter :guilty:

Im a very small, skinny person, and alot of the Jobs said "lifting this" "pushing that" I dont know if I could do it, honestly. Also not good with money, I have problems with Math overall. Im 19 btw.

Cleaning? Well I dislike it, but it seems the only thing I can do...and I love towel animals! :dance3:

Anyone have suggestions?

I was thinking of doing "Mousekeeping", the housekeeper thing.

The problem is, Im not good with work with people much...when I get nervous I stutter :guilty:

Im a very small, skinny person, and alot of the Jobs said "lifting this" "pushing that" I dont know if I could do it, honestly. Also not good with money, I have problems with Math overall. Im 19 btw.

Cleaning? Well I dislike it, but it seems the only thing I can do...and I love towel animals! :dance3:

Anyone have suggestions?

I would be hesitant about applying for housekeeping if you are unable to lift/pull and push a reasonable amount of weight- it is a reality in this role. Another role that may work for you, and may not be as strenuous, is costuming. There's no/minimal guest contact, and I don't think the physical requirements are too tremendous.

...but I would look at things this way- this could be a way for you to grow personally. If you were to look at a role where you would be exposed to frequent guest contact, you will probably learn to adapt and get over some of the nervous ticks you might have (I know that I got over one of mine- hah!). Most of the time there aren't overly difficult issues that cast members have to deal with, and if you're part of the front line cast, you can really make those visible magical moments that guests love. You're also never really alone either- you can always ask for help if you are unsure of what to do or just need assistance. Consider these points.

Best of luck to you!

QUOTE=DonaldDuckie;23674152]I was thinking of doing "Mousekeeping", the housekeeper thing.

Anyone have suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I understand 100% where you are coming from. Before I did my CP in 2005 I was so shy I couldn't talk to people without my face going BRIGHT RED (I was even called tomato by classmates) but working at Disney totally changed my life. I got over my shyness, it did take a while but every single person I met and worked were so nice that it was impossible to not get over it. I think you should apply for something that would help bring you out of your shell, it will help you in the long run. Just my opinion, but whatever you decide, good luck and keep us posted!! :goodvibes

Amen to that! I was super-shy all thoughout HS (and even during my first CP). I was in merchandise, which was hard. But I made it through the shyness, and have done 2 more CPs (my 4th total will be in May). All have been guest-interactive roles too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter