Best! Day! EVER! ~*~October 2015~*~ (Completed 12/22/15)

Cirlonde

Mouseketeer

Hi! Welcome to my very first ever trip report. I’ve been channeling Rapunzel’s indecisive nature today as I tried to persuade myself to tackle this project! Here’s hoping it goes as well as her quest to chase down the floating lights, but maybe without quite so much hair raising adventure. :-)

First off, a little background! My husband (Jeremy) and I (Chelsey) have been together for almost 15 years and married for 9 of those years. We're both 31 years young, live in Oklahoma and are a “childless by choice” family (although our two Yorkies might as well be toddlers). That’s us, right down there.

5ef0b231-74ca-44c5-916d-b84f13da9c6f_zpsd5egyj5n.jpg

We took our first Disney vacation last year, in November of 2014. It was our big once-in-a-lifetime trip to celebrate turning 30. We hadn’t been on a vacation since the year we got married (2006) and had been saving up for the “dream trip”, so we really wanted to make it count. You know…since we’d probably never be back. (Spoiler alert: we went back!) We stayed at the Kidani Villas and had an all around amazing time, including two days at “the other park”. Of course, we hadn’t been home a month before I was running the numbers and trying to figure out how to get back to the World.

Turned out, if we were willing to cut some corners, we could manage a budget trip during the Halloween season. So we booked it! Our first trip had been physically brutal (you know, in that awesomely fantastic way that only Disney can really pull off!) We drove 18+ hours each way, spent nearly every possible hour inside the parks, got roughly four hours of sleep per night if we were lucky…it was fun, but wow! We were exhausted by the time it was over and it took several days for my poor feet to recover. So this year, we decided to take it easy and swore to take breaks, slow down and soak up the details. Plus, we flew instead of driving which made a big difference.

Trip Facts
Dates:
Saturday, October 24th thru Friday, October 30th
Resort: Art of Animation - Little Mermaid Room
Extras: Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party | Food & Wine
Contents
Introduction
Day One: Travel Day | Wilderness Lodge | Trail's End
Day Two: Magic Kingdom | Be Our Guest | Halloween Party
Day Three: Epcot | Food & Wine Festival
Day Four: Hollywood Studios | Exploring the Resort
Day Five: Magic Kingdom Take 2
Day Six: Animal Kingdom | Jambo House

Last edited:
Saturday, October 24th
Day One: Part 1

We live in central Oklahoma but in order to save money, we opted to fly out of Love Field in Dallas, TX since they offer a nonstop flight to Orlando. In an effort to maximize our vacation time, we booked a 7:30am flight. With a three hour drive between us and Dallas, that meant we needed to leave by around 3am at the latest. Then the weatherman started predicting torrential rain and potential flooding. So we decided to leave at 2am. Fortunately, the rain only added about 20 minutes to our driving time and the early hour meant traffic was nearly non-existent. We made it to Love Field with plenty of time to spare, got our bags checked and were through security in record time. Breakfast was chicken biscuits from Chick-fil-a, yum!

972b7470-d444-4c4c-8bd3-44debcb69233_zpsblxg66ra.jpg

ls_zps8oo4vswy.jpg

The excitement of the vacation helped keep us awake and I knew we’d have plenty of time to relax once we made it to our hotel. The flight took off a little early and we made good time to Orlando, landing about 15 minutes sooner than we’d expected. The cloud cover over Orlando was just amazing and the pictures don’t do it justice.

9e9f3c21-ae69-4762-b38a-ab72bc224850_zpsgsdelwte.jpg

One thing we sort of “splurged” on was renting a car. We’re just not used to public transportation and it’s honestly more stressful for us than driving in an unfamiliar city. So we found a decent rate through Alamo and did the online check-in process. Now, this is the first time we’ve ever rented a car, so I don’t have any prior experience. But it was such a breeze! After picking up our bags, we were able to go straight out to the garage where a friendly Alamo employee directed us to the appropriate aisle and told us to pick a car. Jeremy went for the first car he saw, but I insisted we take the bright red Chevy Cruze a little farther down. Mostly, I just prefer a bright color car but also I suspected it would make it easier to spot our car in a parking lot. That turned out to be sort of true...but we also saw about a half dozen other red Chevy Cruzes during the week we were in Orlando!

The car was in a great shape, with only a few thousand miles on it. The interior was leather and it had all the fancy bells and whistles that I’m not used to in my base model Mazda. Road noise was also nearly eliminated, but Jeremy complained that it didn’t have us much power as our Mazda and that the steering was too light. Gas mileage is also much better in our Mazda. So we won’t be buying a Cruze as our next vehicle, however for a week long rental it was pretty snazzy! (I forgot to take a picture of the car, so here's a stock one from the internet.)

47cb38f5-3c5e-4498-9311-7244d90164b3_zps6iruxwue.jpg
d0d1f24a-1e7d-4ac6-a967-ee12cbb636a1_zps1zpgx9c7.jpg

For ease of navigation, we took the toll road to Disney World property (I came prepared with a roll of quarters!) For those interested, round trip (plus a stop at Walmart) cost us $8 in tolls.

2507f8c8-a3e7-44b0-a335-b071762071a5_zpsvuklorcy.jpg

In what seemed like the blink of an eye, we were on property and then pulling up to the Art of Animation parking attendant to get our parking permit. As soon as the plane had landed, I’d gotten a text message saying our room was ready (before 11am!) which meant we were able to head straight over to the Little Mermaid buildings without stopping by the front desk. Again, such a smooth and easy process! We were in building 7 (per my request) room 7553 with a view out over the lake. It was beautiful! We took our groceries up first, just to be sure our MagicBands would unlock the door before we hauled our luggage from the car.

ed888f9c-fd4f-496d-9dd0-7881ea3469bf_zps0o4w4glb.jpg

I used my band from last year which I had decorated. Jeremy opted for a new green band. Both bands worked with no problems, so we headed back to the car for our bags (after some quick pictures of the room).

7ff6b4dd-759e-46ab-89d9-568a2e12399b_zpsb8qikta2.jpg

Last edited:
HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :wave:

I tried to persuade myself to tackle this project!​

"Tackle" is definitely the right word I'm currently writing my first on here and it's taking AGES haha

That’s us, right down there.

Aaaaw cute photo!

We stayed at the Kidani Villas and had an all around amazing time

AKL is AMAZING!! I'm going back in January.... can't wait!

including two days at “the other park”.

A trip to Orlando isn't complete for me without a trip to "the other park" especially now with the two Harry Potter areas!

Looking forward to reading more.....

Saturday, October 24th
Day One: Part 2
We unpacked and napped a little to catch up on our lost sleep. We had a 6:30 ADR at Trail’s End and we wanted to explore Wilderness Lodge while there was still some daylight left, so we headed out around 4:30. The drive over to Wilderness Lodge was pretty simple and we had no issues being allowed past the parking attendant to visit. Wilderness Lodge was just beautiful and I think we’ll have a really tough time deciding between it and Animal Kingdom Lodge whenever we book our next vacation. We found a comfy, secluded porch with a wonderful view and relaxing rocking chairs. Jeremy had a hard time pulling me away!

43580225-1712-4cb6-9ee9-54b9d1735573_zpsirpya76d.jpg
518177b9-411a-4de6-8139-5cdcd21879e2_zpsnykfzx6o.jpg

We walked down to the boat dock, but there was a bit of a line so we decided to take the nature trail to Ft. Wilderness instead. Unfortunately, the trail is closed due to the construction! So we meandered back up to the boat dock, passing the geyser on our way although we didn’t get to see it erupting (until later, that is!)

bd4da6c3-5f59-44e4-9103-2efa3d37ddb3_zps75drocwp.jpg
cab6255e-e011-444a-88b3-f65237ab1e96_zpskba9nlsq.jpg

We strolled around Ft. Wilderness for 45 minutes and went to visit the horses in their stables. They are so HUGE! My grandfather owned race horses when I was kid, so I’m not unfamiliar with them. But a thoroughbred just has nothing on these Percherons.

1e5312d0-0b42-4baf-9b3d-3109ba75e737_zps3gbg7eqd.jpg

By this time, we were super ready for our home cooked buffet so we made our way back over to Trail’s End. It was 6:25 when we checked in and it took about ten minutes before our table was ready. That place was hopping!! We overheard several groups being turned away who didn’t have reservations. And it was well worth the drive, boat ride and trek out to Ft. Wilderness. Wow! So much good food and the theming was just impeccable. Coming from the Bible Belt where church potlucks and family dinners were a big part of my childhood, I have to say they hit the nail on the head. We loved how all of the serving platters on the buffet line were casserole dishes or pots/pans just like you’d find in my grandma’s kitchen. And that cornbread! Everything was just amazing and our waiter was perfect as well. He advised us that they didn’t close until 10pm, so to be sure and take our time! My only complaint was that I got full too fast. I also ate way too fast to remember to take pictures!! :sad:

Originally, we’d planned to hang out until 9:45 to watch the Electrical Water Pageant from the dock/shore. But after such an excellent meal, we were both too tired to stick it out. So we headed back across the water and made it to Wilderness Lodge about ten minutes to 8:00pm so we hung around long enough to watch the geyser go off. So cool! I was really glad we got to see it. After that, it was home and to bed in preparation for an early start at Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:
Things look great!

I do have a question as I've not tried online check-in before, haven't researched it much yet either. If you went straight to your room, was your paperwork and everything there? Do you have to eventually go to the front desk?

Percherons are HUGE! My sister has always had quarter horses. Some guys that work where I work raise/train pulling horses, most of them being Belgian Drafts, but a few have been Percherons. The first time walking up to those guys is almost scary.

Aaaaw cute photo!​
AKL is AMAZING!! I'm going back in January.... can't wait!

Thanks for following along! And that was my favorite photo from the whole trip. Epcot photographers take the best pictures, for us at least. The wind was blowing like crazy and yet she still managed to make us look better than real life, haha!

And I totally agree with you about AKL! I'm pretty sure that, even after as much fun as we had on this trip, I'd rather have fewer trips and be able to stay at AKL rather than more frequent trips in a Value.

Things look great!

I do have a question as I've not tried online check-in before, haven't researched it much yet either. If you went straight to your room, was your paperwork and everything there? Do you have to eventually go to the front desk?

Hi, Duzzygirl! We did not get the same "welcome packet" with the hotel maps and stuff like we did on our first trip. For us, this wasn't a big deal because we just accessed whatever info we needed via our phones. The convenience outweighed the "magic" of dealing with the front desk, in my opinion. And at the end of our trip, they emailed me an invoice for our room charges so we didn't even have to go the front desk to check out. I might feel differently if we'd been staying at a deluxe or if we were celebrating a special occasion. On our first trip, we had "1st time" and a "birthday" button waiting on us, which was a nice perk of going to the front desk.

We did have one minor hiccup when we realized that our credit card wasn't tied to our bands, even though I'd set it up during online check in. So my husband had to run over to the front desk to get that straightened out. But I think typically that shouldn't happen, so if everything is working as intended you don't have to go to the front desk at all during your trip, if you choose to do online check in.

Following!!! You two are really cute and so far your report is awesome!!!! Can't wait to hear more!!!

Thank you for your reply. I guess I'm just so accustomed to that packet of paper, it'll be odd to not have it. I'll also use my phone for most things.

Joining in - glad to hear of such a smooth travel day and your first meal sounds like a great start to the trip!

Always nice to find areas to sit in relax when checking out different resorts

Subbing! Looks like your trip is off to a great start. I'll be staying in a Little Mermaid room in March. The theming looks great!

Thanks for following along! And that was my favorite photo from the whole trip. Epcot photographers take the best pictures, for us at least. The wind was blowing like crazy and yet she still managed to make us look better than real life, haha!

And I totally agree with you about AKL! I'm pretty sure that, even after as much fun as we had on this trip, I'd rather have fewer trips and be able to stay at AKL rather than more frequent trips in a Value.

The photographers are great! I always get my favourite shots from them!

It's such a beautiful resort and when I'm travelling at that way I'm happy to pay the extra to stay there.

I think we’ll have a really tough time deciding between it and Animal Kingdom Lodge whenever we book our next vacation.​

When I've checked AKL has always been cheaper so with the addition of all the animals too that's a win for me over Wilderness but I guess a lot of people probably prefer that location.

I got full too fast.

BUFFET PROBLEMS!!!!!

Sunday, October 25th
Day Two: Part 1
On our first park day, we headed for Magic Kingdom. Rope drop was at 9am and we got to the parking lot by around 8:15. The ferry boat is our preference for traveling over the Seven Seas Lagoon and we were lucky to catch one just about to leave the dock. We made it to the front gates in time to watch the welcome show and they were letting us into the park by 8:45. We headed straight to Peter Pan because we wanted to experience the new stand-by queue with short lines. Unfortunately, the line was so short that I didn’t have time to take any pictures! We still really enjoyed it; everything looks great and the shadow wall is so fun! Jeremy took a short video of the wall, but it didn’t turn out all that great. I’ll try to get it uploaded soon and add it to the trip report though.

After Pan, we hopped in a honey pot for a quick ride through Winnie the Pooh which is on my top 5 favorite attractions list. I just think it’s so adorable! I didn’t get any pictures during this round, but we lucked into an empty pot on Wednesday so I was able to take some photos during that ride without bothering anyone. :cutie:Something to look forward to!

Next, we made a beeline for our favorite attraction in the whole park…Haunted Mansion! I had a FastPass for this ride, but the lines were pretty short so we went through stand-by. Then we immediately rode it a second time using the FastPass. I think it’s the attraction we experienced the most often during the whole trip and I was still spotting new details even to the very end. There’s a really great book called The Unauthorized Story of Walt Disney’s Haunted Mansion that I was able to borrow through the Kindle Lending Library on Amazon before we left. It’s full of really interesting information about the ride (both the WDW and Disneyland versions) and I’d highly recommend it if you’re at all interested in “how did they do that?!” questions.

We had some extra time before our Seven Dwarfs Mine Train FastPass would expire, so we decided to take a quick trip Under the Sea with Ariel and her friends. I knew this ride had been refurbished but we only rode it once last year (pre-refurb) so I wasn’t familiar enough with it to spot places where it had been gussied up. It looked just as good to me the first time as it did this trip! And of course, I had Under the Sea stuck in my head for the next hour. :rolleyes1

On our way to Seven Dwarfs, we stopped by Gaston’s Tavern and the Beast’s castle for some photo ops!

e2696760-8bf2-499d-bd66-1b323cd88299_zpsepwejdx3.jpg

We breezed through the FastPass line for Seven Dwarfs by about 10:45am and were on our way through the mines lickety-split! Now, let me make a confession here. I have never been a thrill seeker, and actually had never been on any type of roller coaster prior to the trip we made to Disney World in November 2014. We rode Seven Dwarfs twice on that trip, both of which I spent clinging to the lap bar for dear life and trying to pretend (for the camera’s sake) that I was enjoying myself! But somehow, this trip I just felt more relaxed and suddenly, I was having a blast! So that’s the back story for why the second picture is so impressive…NO HANDS!

d9804fec-b71e-444a-89c9-f5f3d3f6ab3a_zpspojnpsyx.jpg

e76e3ffa-024e-4fc1-a11d-a4cae4accf8a_zpsbnjiwgwh.jpg

Things just got better from there coaster-wise, but I don’t want to ruin the end of the trip report so we’ll put a pin in that for now! After bouncing excitedly out of the mine cart (well…I bounced, Jeremy’s much too dignified for that sort of thing), we were ready for lunch at Be Our Guest. We learned our lesson last year when we ate here, so we had decided in advance to just split the sandwich. It’s just too much for one person, especially with the cupcakes! So we each had a bowl of the potato leek soup (which is honestly the number one reason I eat here), we split the Croque Monsieur and each had a strawberry cream cheese cupcake. Confession time again…we tried the “gray stuff” cupcake last year and weren’t really impressed. It tasted okay, but it had nothing on the strawberry cupcake! Yum!!

564b0476-ecb9-4c26-b108-1b0cc50c37fa_zps3wjvyu9k.jpg

We got very lucky and a table for two was just being cleaned off in the West Wing as we walked up. We had wanted to eat in here last year but it was full. It seemed like the whole week went like this…just little sprinkles of pixie dust all over the place.

I had booked FastPasses for us to ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad after lunch but we were both so full that we decided lunch needed a chance to settle first. We had until 12:35 to use the FastPass, so we waddled over to Carousel of Progress for a leisurely ride through time. We skipped this ride last year and while it was the perfect ride for getting off our feet in the AC, I can’t see it being something we’d ever ride multiple times. However, it did the trick and when it was over we were both feeling up to Big Thunder.

We had ridden Big Thunder last year and I don’t remember it being nearly as bumpy that time as it was this time! I was sliding all over that seat, I kept bumping hip bones with poor Jeremy! It was fun enough, but we didn’t ride it a second time. My poor bones just can’t take that kind of a beating anymore. :crutches:

By this time, it was after 1pm and it was getting hot! So we headed for the front of the park, stopping to take a few pictures along the way. It was bright…so after that first picture where we’re all squinty-eyed, we just wore our sunglasses.

e1c1fb8c-221b-4658-b6ca-dcb48e034a12_zpsc4ddbxdb.jpg

We went up to the train station on our way out and stopped to try to take a selfie. However, we just really don’t have much practice at the selfie…so thank goodness for the kind train conductor (engineer?) who offered to take our picture for us! He did a really great job too and I regret not asking to take a picture with him for the memory!

51d493d0-c4c8-4a45-a950-c203c3f538ad_zps7pfkdlbk.jpg
4706b193-4336-465f-94a1-ecdb2a6e6c82_zpsphwygcab.jpg

IMG_4554_zpsrrlraoic.jpg

Back across the lagoon on the ferry, a short walk to our car in the Aladdin section, and we were on the way back to the hotel. Side note here…the best thing about our rental car: AIR CONDITIONING! That sucker could have given Elsa a run for her money. I stopped outside our hotel room door to take a couple of pictures of the view across the lake. It was my favorite thing about our room’s location.

IMG_4561_zpsmph4etpi.jpg
IMG_4560_zps3tn36sdx.jpg

Next up...Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party! Did you spot the clues in the previous posts that hint at what our costumes are going to be?!?

Last edited:
Following!!! You two are really cute and so far your report is awesome!!!! Can't wait to hear more!!!

Aww! Thank you so much for the kind words!

Subbing! Looks like your trip is off to a great start. I'll be staying in a Little Mermaid room in March. The theming looks great!

The theming of the entire Art of Animation resort is just amazing. Even the bed sheets were embroidered with little bubble trails!! And I gotta admit...I spent most of my time in the shower (quietly) singing Part of Your World. :) It's impossible not to when you feel like you're in Ariel's grotto! I think you'll love it and I imagine that to small kids it's just got to be out of this world to stay at AoA.

It's such a beautiful resort and when I'm travelling at that way I'm happy to pay the extra to stay there.
When I've checked AKL has always been cheaper so with the addition of all the animals too that's a win for me over Wilderness but I guess a lot of people probably prefer that location.

Oh wow, I haven't really priced Wilderness Lodge since we're probably four or five years away from our next trip, but if it is more expensive than AKL I would definitely have a hard time choosing WL over AKL.

Your Sunday sounds wonderful. In all the times we've been to MK, we've never made it for the Welcome Show. We usually try to hit Crystal Palace prior to park opening for those blessed empty street shots out front of the castle! Oh, I just love the Pooh interactive queue. (that spelling just dosen't look right!!:crazy:) We haven't been on Peter Pan since it was referbed. Hopefully we can get to that in April. So, you liked 7DMT, huh? I love your picture with your hands up! Too Cute! BTMRR can be very bumpy --- it all depends where you sit on the train. The further back you sit, the more you get tossed around!

Did you make your ears? They are so cute!!

Sunday, October 25th
Day Two: Part 2

Welcome back! In this post, we’re returning to the Magic Kingdom for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party. We went as Rapunzel and Flynn from Tangled. My husband was such a trooper and I think he may have enjoyed dressing up even more than I did!

MK_TSHOLIDAY_7498380718_zpsx013muil.jpeg

This was my favorite picture from the night and it was Jeremy’s idea. It’s a little hard to tell, but I was threatening him with a small frying pan. I hadn’t wanted to carry a full size cast iron skillet around the parks with me and the foam one I found on Amazon was far outside my price range! So instead, I was able to find a miniature but very real cast iron skillet (also from Amazon). It’s about the size you’d use to fry a single egg and it was perfect.

As for the rest of our costumes, my mom gets most of the credit! She made Jeremy’s vest and my t-shirt. The vest is made of fleece and has lines sewn into it to make it look like it’s been quilted. His pants came from Old Navy, the wig, the collar-less shirt and his boots I got from Amazon. The boots were definitely the biggest splurge of the costume, running us almost $50. But they really did “make” the outfit as he told me when I balked at the price. But I think the wig was his favorite part! It’s been a long time since Jeremy’s had hair and he refused to take the wig off until we were back in the car at the end of the night!

As for my costume, the purple shirt and the white capris came from Amazon. I bought ribbon and lace at JoAnn’s and my mom sewed/glued everything on. It really looks better in person than in the pictures. The tutu and my ears came from two different sellers on Etsy. I was a little nervous about the tutu because I’m not really a “tutu” person, but I didn’t want to wear a full dress. It actually worked out pretty well, once I got over feeling weird in it! And the ears were absolutely the best thing I bought for the whole trip. I got so many compliments on them and they were so comfortable. They actually clip in, rather than being on a headband. So they held on well and didn’t give me a headache. Plus they are absolutely adorable! I wish I could get away with wearing them to work!

MK_MSUPTOWNJEWLERS_7498395472_zpswvb2ju2b.jpeg

MK_MSATHCLB_7498398171_zpsy0ajoxlx.jpeg

We spent most of the party hunting down PhotoPass Photographers and riding Haunted Mansion. Madame Leota and Madame Carlotta were great! Jeremy cowered behind me when we met the ghostly carriage driver. Chicken!

5cadd387-5fb1-49bb-a7ed-ce43a73162b5_zpsealqcc3o.jpg

IMG_4570_zps6whwvlrs.jpg

The real challenge of the night was tracking down the Hitchhiking Ghosts picture. I couldn’t believe how much trouble we had finding this photographer!! We came SO close two different times, making all the way to the Splash Mountain exit. But we didn’t realize that we needed to continue on down the hill and under the breezeway area. I bet we wasted nearly an hour tromping back and forth around Frontierland looking for that elusive trio!! But it made the final picture worth even more once we finally found her. Judging by the lack of a line and the photographer’s enthusiasm for company, we couldn’t have been the only ones who weren’t able to find her.

IMG_4572_zpsmfgxrfae.jpg

IMG_4573_zpscpiwe6zm.jpg

We stopped for a funnel cake before heading over to watch Hallowishes. We got to the Hub about ten minutes before the Celebrate the Magic started and were able to get a very comfortable spot against the fence in the FastPass+ viewing area. I can understand why some people don’t like that location since it is off center from the castle but we thought it was perfect! It wasn’t a bit crowded, we had the fence to lean on (or fake grass to sit on) and an unobstructed view.

Things started to get a little blurry after this…Jeremy was getting a blister from those “perfect” boots and we were both hot and tired. I think we rode Haunted Mansion again and then we grabbed a front row spot on a wooden porch in Frontierland and waited for the Boo To You parade to start. Our only real mistake of the evening was trying to get out of the park after! We liked viewing the parade from Frontierland but it definitely made for a nightmare getting out and we ended up just standing around waiting for the parade to end. If we hadn’t been so exhausted, I think we’d have headed away from the entrance and enjoyed another ride or two. But hey…we essentially got to see the parade twice!

Last edited:
Monday, October 26th
Day Three: Part 1
This was the day of “eat all the things!” And can you believe I didn’t take a single food picture! I’m such a failure. The only excuse I can offer is that Epcot was a madhouse and we were too focused on standing in line, buying food, eating food while standing in the next line. Besides…there’s a ton of professional Disney bloggers who take way better food pics than I could ever hope to, so you’ll just have to rely on them to get your taste buds going.

I did keep good notes on what we ate though. So there’s that at least! But I’m getting ahead of myself. What better way to get your stomach prepped for all those delicious carbs and calories than a race around Test Track?? Well, for me it was more like starting the day with a breakfast of hair…

EPCOT_DPIRIDESYSGMTT_7498644889_zpspsdx5oaa.jpeg

In reality, the picture looks worse than it was to experience, thank goodness! My hair pretty much blew straight forwards and just came between me and the camera, but wasn’t actually in front of my face. I was glad I was sitting with Jeremy on my right side instead of the poor stranger in our car. It’s okay if Jeremy gets a face full of hair but I’d have felt terrible if it was someone I didn’t know!

I should add here that we were at the parks early for the 9am rope drop and we went straight for Test Track so we didn’t have to wait in much of a line. After that, we headed for Sum of All Thrills which was a ride we had skipped last year. After getting off, I wish I’d been a little bolder in designing our coaster! I was too nervous to do any of the loops or go upside down. But in retrospect, I think I would have enjoyed it.

e41fb40e-c5a9-4914-bfcb-a0112733f636_zpsjjodbnqz.jpg

We used a FastPass to ride Spaceship Earth, which I always love! Then we had time for Living with the Land before our Soarin’ FastPass would expire. We also had a third FastPass for Nemo, but opted to skip that one because by the time we got off of Soarin' (which is definitely showing its age!) it was already after 11am and we wanted to get started working our way around World Showcase.

10032af5-f249-4a2c-969a-de4bf144396b_zpsxeqd5tg0.jpg

The first thing we ate was a Cronut from Refreshment Port. I’m pretty sure I could have just had five or six of those and skipped Food & Wine altogether. So delicious!! It’s a good thing I can’t get them locally. With our appetites primed, we got in line to try the Canadian cheddar cheese soup. Now, I know that a lot of people don’t think this is a good buy. But we really wanted to try it! And while I was able to get a reservation for Le Cellier, we decided to cancel it because we didn’t want to be too full for Food & Wine. So this was the best alternative for us. I was really glad we tried the soup. It’s not as good as some Wisconsin Cheese Soup I once had at a buffet in Seattle but it was very tasty.

Next, Jeremy wanted to try the Kalua Pork Slider from Hawai’i. He loved it, but I didn’t try it as I’m not a fan of pork or pineapple. While he was eating that, we got in line at Scotland so I could try the potato pancake with smoked salmon. This was our only bust of the day. I love potato pancakes and salmon, but apparently Scotland uses a lot more pepper on their potatoes than I do and the salmon was a little too “raw” for my tastes. However, the next booth was a major hit…Farm Fresh’s Loaded Mac n’ Cheese! We have such simple tastes…you put cheese and noodles together in any form and I’m a happy camper!

IMG_4922_zpsdp4e07pz.jpg

After this, I get a little fuzzy on the order of things...I know we had sorbet from France (strawberry for me, Apple something or other for Jeremy). Then while we were waiting for that to settle, we got in line to wait for Belle. She was the last signature I needed to complete a puzzle I’d started last year. It’s an 8.5x11 inch blank puzzle with 12 pieces. I got each princess’s signature on a piece and now I just need to find a frame for it.

IMG_4587_zpsg18o9aef.jpg

After Belle, we stopped at Brazil and Belgium. We had the cheese bread and the coconut candy from Brazil, or Jeremy had the candy…I don’t like coconut. The cheese bread tasted like it might have needed to be cooked just a little longer. It was generally good, but the middle was too doughy. Jeremy liked the coconut candy but couldn’t finish it because it was so rich. At Belgium, we had the waffle with berry compote and whipped cream. I really wanted to try the chocolate one as well, but by this time we were getting a little full! We also spent some time exploring the Germany shops, admiring the clocks and looking for a souvenir with the Bavarian coat of arms on it. I have an employee who is originally from Germany, near Augsburg, and I was hoping to find her something. Unfortunately, we only saw a giant flag and a stein that was out of my price range. It's the thought that counts, though, right??

IMG_4923_zpsqnh1erbh.jpg

I also fell in love with this beautiful model of Cinderella's castle, which I will own the day I win the lottery (that I don't play). But at least I have the picture to admire!

a043540c-4c15-4be2-86aa-f8422ee58a03_zpsfjrxcivh.jpg

We wandered through Norway and stopped for some pictures. I’m excited for the new Frozen ride to open. We were never able to experience Maelstrom, so I don’t have any nostalgia associated with that ride. And while I do think it’s a little odd to tie Arendelle and Norway together, I don’t think it’s going to hurt anything either.

IMG_4921_zpspukvtmou.jpg

EPCOT_ECROVE1_7499161079_zpsm6i3bkbn.jpeg

This little guy stopped to pose for a picture and I just couldn't turn his offer down:

10f0f5fb-9f88-4c06-aeb8-ebd5156eb5b8_zpsogf1w2mq.jpg

Before making our way out of World Showcase, we stopped in Mexico for the Chilaquiles de pollo. And wow! This one was the real sleeper hit of the day! It was so good and I wish we had gotten two servings. We had to be sure and stop by the Chew Lab to try the Liquid Nitro Chocolate Almond Truffle, which we’d heard so much about. Unfortunately, it was just okay. Neither of us really cared for the whiskey flavor in the caramel and the chocolate was just a little too bland. I’m still glad we tried it though and we didn’t have any trouble finishing it off.

We slowly worked our way out of Epcot, stopping at all the photographers along the way. Here are a few of those shots.

d29cac06-72bc-4637-92e7-b9ad0a0f1be7_zpsoezgvazw.jpg
6aec8666-990b-4016-a90e-e64e3698121c_zpszmbws6xy.jpg

I just love Jeremy's expression in the one where he's hugging me! The photographer had reprimanded him for not giving me a "real" hug so I think he's smirking a little like "I'll show you a real hug!" It was so funny. Also...don't judge the hair! I direct your attention back to the first picture in this post as exhibit A. Also it was extremely windy! My hair was holding up the best it could under the circumstances, haha!

It was only 6pm, but we were both worn out by the heat and crowds so we decided to commit the ultimate crime and skip Illuminations so we could head back to the hotel. We spent the evening relaxing and watching TV. It was really nice to be able to get off our feet! Tomorrow, we’d be up bright and early to head for Hollywood Studios!

Last edited:
OMG!!!! Your outfits for the MNSSHP are awesome!!!! And yes, Jeremy is right --- the boots made the outfit, even if they got a bit uncomfortable. He really could pull off hair if he chose to! I love how Pascal is on your shoulder. Your Mom did an awesome job at putting it all together! The small frying pan is a nice touch!

I'm glad you were able to locate the Hitchhiking Ghost Photographer. You would think he would have been closer to the Haunted Mansion! Kind of silly to be where he was and obviously since everyone else had a hard time to find him, too! We had that picture, too, when we did the party a few years ago. I love the Haunted Mansion --- one of my absolute, not to be missed, favorites!

We've never "Eaten Around the World". None of my family are adventurous eaters so the food and wine doesn't hold much interest for us. All your treats sound interesting!! I think your TT photo is hilarious. Thank goodness I usually carry a ponytail holder!! Ah, my Living with the Land ride. Another favorite!!! I just can't believe it's tier one for a fast pass now. It always used to be a walk on! I always buy one of those Mickey's Mini Garden plants they sell at the entrance of Soarin! Love them!

Yeah for your last princess signature piece! You'll have to post a picture of how it looks framed so I can picture it in my head. I was one that love Malestrom and I will miss it, but I usually can take changes with a grain of salt. I'm not sure how Arendelle will change the feel of things in the Norway pavillion, so it's just wait and see. I think it would have been better in Hollywood Studios, but oh well. And I love your little squirrel friend. If you ever take the time and read some of my trip reports, you'll see that my daughter Victoria is obsessed with Disney Ducks so we have tons of pictures of ducks!!

I usually have Memory Maker, so I stalk all the photographers, too. I love how nice your pictures came out! And yes, Jeremy's smile is quite funny!!! Yes, sometimes you just have to call it a day when you get hot and tired. We usually go in September so I know the humidity is brutal!!!

Can't wait to hear more!!!pixiedust:

Hi! I am loving your TR so far. Isn't Disney math fun.. I'm always crunching numbers after a trip! ;)

Your Halloween party outfits are awesome! So much effort and thought put into both of those.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Trails End, I have been wanting to try there for a while now.

OMG!!!! Your outfits for the MNSSHP are awesome!!!! And yes, Jeremy is right --- the boots made the outfit, even if they got a bit uncomfortable. He really could pull off hair if he chose to! I love how Pascal is on your shoulder. Your Mom did an awesome job at putting it all together! The small frying pan is a nice touch!

Thanks so much! I was really pleased with the way they turned out and I'm so glad we went through with dressing up. Walking out of the hotel to our car, I was having major second thoughts, haha!! But it was well worth it once we made it to Magic Kingdom and started getting so many nice comments. It was also nice that so many other adults were dressed up and we didn't stick out like sore thumbs! :)

I'm glad you were able to locate the Hitchhiking Ghost Photographer. You would think he would have been closer to the Haunted Mansion! Kind of silly to be where he was and obviously since everyone else had a hard time to find him, too! We had that picture, too, when we did the party a few years ago. I love the Haunted Mansion --- one of my absolute, not to be missed, favorites!

I totally agree with you about Haunted Mansion! It easily holds the #1 spot on our list of favorite rides. Everything from the queue to the story to the details on the ride. Just perfect! Which is part of why we were so set on finding that magic shot! Sadly, the section at the end of the ride where a ghost hops in your Doom Buggy with you was broken all by the first time we rode. :( And we rode multiple times over two days. But at least that first time I got a new ghost in the buggy with me...his head/hat burst into a flock of birds. It was pretty cool!

Yeah for your last princess signature piece! You'll have to post a picture of how it looks framed so I can picture it in my head.

Absolutely! I don't have the frame yet, but it'll probably just be simple black frame similar to what you see documents/certificates framed in. But here's a picture of the puzzle put together:

IMG_4935_zpsml5soa6m.jpg

I usually have Memory Maker, so I stalk all the photographers, too. I love how nice your pictures came out! And yes, Jeremy's smile is quite funny!!! Yes, sometimes you just have to call it a day when you get hot and tired. We usually go in September so I know the humidity is brutal!!!

We've gotten Memory Maker both times we've gone. I know it's an extra expense, but we never get professional pictures made so I just give copies of our Disney pictures to my mom and my mother-in-law, haha! I think it's cheaper than a photo session! :) Plus, it's always so much easier to offer up a genuine smile when you're at the Happiest Place on Earth than any other time.

I can't imagine going in September! I'd love to for the low crowds, but I'm pretty sure the heat and humidity would kill me. We're talking about trying to go in January for our next trip (hopefully after the finish Pandora and the new lands in Hollywood Studios). I think we'd be able to spend a lot more hours in the parks if it was cooler weather.

Hi! I am loving your TR so far. Isn't Disney math fun.. I'm always crunching numbers after a trip! ;)

Your Halloween party outfits are awesome! So much effort and thought put into both of those.

Thanks so much! We were trying to balance comfort with style. :) The only hiccup we had was when Pascal's Velcro started to come unglued and we had to do some emergency safety pinning to get him to stay on, haha! But it was worth it. The little kids absolutely loved him!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Trails End, I have been wanting to try there for a while now.

Oh you should absolutely try Trail's End! I think it and Via Napoli are tied for my favorites, but Trail's End is by far the better value. Plus the scenery is just so beautiful at Ft. Wilderness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter