• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best freeway for traffic

Lisa345

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disneyland from N. Cal on Friday. We will be coming south down I-5. The last time we did this we hit BAD traffic right off the Grapevine. It took us 3 hours from Castaic to Anaheim. People were bailing to other freeways, but we didn't know which might work best for us. Any suggestions if this happens again. We will be leaving Sacramento at 8:00 am, so I anticipate hitting rush hour when we get to So Cal.
Thanks for the help.

Once you get into LA you could take the 60 to the 57 and get to Disneyland that way. There can be bad traffic on the 60 as well, but in general not as bad as the 5. I don't know of any other good options though and between Castaic and LA there's really nothing.

I don't know that area very well, but I've had friends take the 210 to the 57 or the 55 to avoid the 5 altogether. If you look at the overview map of freeways, you can see how it avoids the 5.

I hate the 5.

I also am beginning to dislike the 405. You know why it's called the 405? Because you use it and it takes you 4 or 5 hours to get where you are going.

Have done the drive from N. California to DL countless time over the years and the only way I know to have "less" traffic is to hit the LA area around 11pm or midnight... notice I typed "less" traffic.

There is no good way to avoid it especially at rush hour. Can you leave Sacremento later to avoid the rush hours?

Try to make your trip to AVOID the Grapevine during rush hour traffic (6:00am to 8:00am and 3:30pm-7:00pm). Either way, you will hit traffic at the I-5 and I-405, the I-5 and I-110 (Harbor Frwy), I-5/I-10?I-60 interchange and probably I-5 and the 91 freeway.

Once you get down to Anaheim, get off at Disney Way (West St). Stay in the left hand lane as this will take you right into the parking structure.

Ick. The traffic can be truly brutal, especially on the 5 on the way to Anaheim. There are many bottlenecks you must pass through.

The suggestion of taking the 210 is a good one. It is much further, but you may avoid some of the traffic.

Sorry, but traffic in So. Cal sucks. And it gets worse everyday! And if there's an accident, forget about it! I would ( and do) listen to traffic reports to find out what freeways to avoid. Our local stations that carry traffic reports are (AM stations) KNX 1070 (traffic on the 5's) & KFWB 980-(drive time traffic on the 1's) also you can get traffic reports on KFI 640 and KABC 790 (not as often as 1070 & 980-more talk, less news) If you have access to a laptop computer and can get online, you can also check KFWB & KNX websites for traffic maps. (kfwb.com and knx1070.com)

Hope this helps!

Dizneydaz said:
Sorry, but traffic in So. Cal sucks. And it gets worse everyday! And if there's an accident, forget about it! I would ( and do) listen to traffic reports to find out what freeways to avoid. Our local stations that carry traffic reports are (AM stations) KNX 1070 (traffic on the 5's) & KFWB 980-(drive time traffic on the 1's) also you can get traffic reports on KFI 640 and KABC 790 (not as often as 1070 & 980-more talk, less news) If you have access to a laptop computer and can get online, you can also check KFWB & KNX websites for traffic maps. (kfwb.com and knx1070.com)

Hope this helps!

Or/And add rain... :) Did a drive from Carmel/Monterey area to Riverside last Feb and it took me 12.5 hours where usually I can do it in 6-7 hours at most... not a happy event.

The worst bottleneck on the 5 between LA and Anaheim is usually just south of the 610, when it's reduced by one lane. When I looks hopeless, I'll jump on the 610 and take the 91 east back to the 5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter