Best lunch place in DP or DCA?

gmi3804

Gonna ruin Maw’s birthday
DVC Silver
Which is the best place for a good sit-down lunch in Disneyland or DCA? I'll only have time for one meal, and can go to either park (or the Grand Californian Hotel). I'm a self-confessed "foodie" so I want the best! :p

I will have to preface this with I have yet to go to DL (only 4 more weeks :cool1: )
but I won't be surprised if everyone responds with Blue Bayou. It is in the POTC ride and you can ask for a seat close to the edge overlooking the ride. We are making a PS for lunch there. Enjoy wherever you eat.

-Matthew

mwehttam said:
I will have to preface this with I have yet to go to DL (only 4 more weeks :cool1: )
but I won't be surprised if everyone responds with Blue Bayou. It is in the POTC ride and you can ask for a seat close to the edge overlooking the ride. We are making a PS for lunch there. Enjoy wherever you eat.

-Matthew

Thanks for the info. I know this will sound really snobby, but is the food at Blue Bayou actually good/ambitious? I'm looking for a place for lunch along the lines of Compass Rose at the Grand Californian; that would be my first choice but they're not open for lunch. Is the wine place at DCA good?

For the **** treatment, try the Napa Rose in the Grand Californian. Excellent food & wine, but $$$$ (pricey).

As for in the parks, Blue Bayou in DL & Wine Country Tratorria in DCA (though the hours are spotty). There are also some very entertaining options in DTD such as Rainforest Cafe & ESPN Zone.

I heard the Vineyard Room at DCA, was really good. I'm hoping my dh will take me there someday.
Mary from mousesavers.com seemed to really like it too. :rotfl:

gmi3804 said:
Thanks for the info. I know this will sound really snobby, but is the food at Blue Bayou actually good/ambitious? I'm looking for a place for lunch along the lines of Compass Rose at the Grand Californian; that would be my first choice but they're not open for lunch. Is the wine place at DCA good?

The Blue Bayou is tops for atmosphere, but the food is definitely not haute cuisine!! IMHO there isn't really any standout food in either park. We liked Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in DTD, but I'm just not sure you're going to find anything to meet your criteria. (We live in Berkeley, about 1 mile from Chez Panisse, so I'm kinda thinking like that.) I just don't think of really great food when I think of lunch in the Disneyland Resort. Dinner maybe, but not lunch.
That said I have to stress that I absolutely adore the Blue Bayou!! I never get tired of the whole experience. We eat there everytime we're in DL.

Carnation Cafe on Main St. in DL has good sandwiches and salads (etc) and you sit right out on main st. Great place to people watch. I suggest making PS as there is limited seating!

Yes, the place over by the Vinyard was a bit pricey but I really did enjoy it when I went there.

I would also say that the Blue Bayou is always nice (although I am a picky eater there isn't really anything I like there). The earlier your reservation is the better chance you have of sitting closer to the water though!

The Carnation Cafe and Plaza Inn are nice too, but not exactly what you are looking for I believe.

As far as character dining, I always have enjoyed Ariel's Grotto. :)

boosmom96 said:
The Blue Bayou is tops for atmosphere, but the food is definitely not haute cuisine!! IMHO there isn't really any standout food in either park. We liked Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in DTD, but I'm just not sure you're going to find anything to meet your criteria. (We live in Berkeley, about 1 mile from Chez Panisse, so I'm kinda thinking like that.) I just don't think of really great food when I think of lunch in the Disneyland Resort. Dinner maybe, but not lunch.
That said I have to stress that I absolutely adore the Blue Bayou!! I never get tired of the whole experience. We eat there everytime we're in DL.

Could not say it better..this is us exactly. Love the blue bayou, but the food is good, but not spectacular.

There's nothing really meets you criteria in either DL or DTD - however Napa Rose in DCA is meant to be one of the most highly regarded restaurants in So Cal (it's also very expensive). So that might be worth a try.

Blue Bayou is fun, and the food is good - but let's put it this way, people wouldn't travel across America to eat there if it wasn't inside the Pirates Ride.

I'd still recommend it for decent food and great atmosphere though.

Like most everyone else, if you want a great meal at Disneyland you might be dissapointed. I have had good meals there, but really if you are a true foodie, you are going to have to enjoy the offerings for what they are.

I have literally swooned over the blue cheese burgers at Taste Pilots grill. I have enjoyed a lovely glass of wine and a delicious meal at the Vineyard at DCA. I have always gotten a good piece of prime rib when I've ordered it at the Blue Bayou (and the stuffed mushrooms were also yummm!)

I haven't tried Napa Rose, but I have heard great things about it, so maybe that is more up your alley.

Enjoy!
Chris

2ndStar2TheRight said:
Carnation Cafe on Main St. in DL has good sandwiches and salads (etc) and you sit right out on main st. Great place to people watch. I suggest making PS as there is limited seating!

Do they take PSs at Carnation Cafe?

DonnettaR said:
Do they take PSs at Carnation Cafe?

Yes. I made a noontime PS at the Carnation Cafe for early August. I believe it's a fairly recent addition to the DL PS restaurants.

Blue Bayou is great on atmosphere, okay on food IMO. Jazz Kitchen in DTD has very good/if not sometimes great food AND a wonderful chocolate bread pudding. And the atmosphere is great at JK later in the evening.

My fav place for lunch in DL is Carnation. Good sit down meal. CalGal when you go in August have the Golden Mickey Ears Dessert, it's incredible!

I think I've given up finding "fine dining" for lunch at either DL or DCA (The Vineyard Room is only open for dinner). I'm just gonna go with the flow and enjoy a more casual lunch, perhaps at Blue Bayou or Carnation. Dinner, however is going to be at Napa Rose! :teeth:

gmi3804 said:
I think I've given up finding "fine dining" for lunch at either DL or DCA (The Vineyard Room is only open for dinner). I'm just gonna go with the flow and enjoy a more casual lunch, perhaps at Blue Bayou or Carnation. Dinner, however is going to be at Napa Rose! :teeth:
I think you've made a wise choice. I'd definitely suggest Blue Bayou for lunch. Have a great trip!!

DisneyTart said:
My fav place for lunch in DL is Carnation. Good sit down meal. CalGal when you go in August have the Golden Mickey Ears Dessert, it's incredible!

Thanks for the recommendation DisneyTart. I've only been to the Carnation Cafe for breakfast, so my lunch here will be a first for me.

Good choice. The atmosphere is nice at BB. My dh likes the Monte Christo (sp?) sandwich. Do they now allow you to make phone reservations in advance or is it 'same day' ps? It's been awhile since we've been there and they did not allow that before. What we did was- we got to DL at opening time and headed over to the BB, first thing and made priority seating for lunch that day. When it was time for lunch we got to go right in, but there were a lot of other people waiting, that didn't have a reservation.

studentmom- Yes, you now can call ahead for PSs for Blue Bayou, and it is strongly recommended that you do so. PSs can be made 6 weeks in advance by calling 714/781-DINE. I remember going to BB first thing to make PSs too, but that is no longer necessary. You can also make PSs in advance for Carnation Cafe, Plaza Inn (at least breakfast), some restaurants in DCA, and several places at DTD and the Disney hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter