Best month for San Diego trip?

pinktink83

DIS Veteran
We're planning a family trip to San Diego (SeaWorld, the zoo, and the beach) and I'm trying to figure out the best month to do it. We're definitely going during school months (so either just before school lets out in May, or just after it begins in August), and we're going during the week (Mon-Thurs). I really dislike huge crowds so thats our main reasoning for those times.

So which is the best month- mid May or mid/late August- where it won't be glaringly, blazing hot during the day while walking around at SeaWorld and the Zoo, but will be hot enough to go swimming at the beach without winds, rain, chill, etc. I like it to be over 90 degrees before I get into the water! (born n raised in Phoenix, AZ!) :) Would late August be too close to Sept, and be cooling off too much by then? TIA!

May is usually really beautiful, but the water will probably still be cold. Since you are native Phoenician, you probably would be fine in August. It is the hottest month, but, not nearly as hot as it is in Phx (I lived there for 6 months last year). The water is always pretty chili here for me though, it doesn't matter what time of year it is. The kids don't seem to mind the water though.

One thing you might want to know is that most schools here don't start until Labor Day week.

Honestly for me, I would much rather come in May than in August, but I am a total wimp when it comes to heat.

We have a saying in So Cal...

May gray, June gloom. The temps are moderate but the skies are overcast. Sometimes it burns off by noon, sometimes it doesn't. By way of contrast, August is usually sunny and gorgeous. It may get into the low 90s for about 6 or 7 days in August. Hard to tell if or when, but that's really the extent of the So Cal heat wave.

We're planning a family trip to San Diego (SeaWorld, the zoo, and the beach) and I'm trying to figure out the best month to do it. We're definitely going during school months (so either just before school lets out in May, or just after it begins in August), and we're going during the week (Mon-Thurs). I really dislike huge crowds so thats our main reasoning for those times.

So which is the best month- mid May or mid/late August- where it won't be glaringly, blazing hot during the day while walking around at SeaWorld and the Zoo, but will be hot enough to go swimming at the beach without winds, rain, chill, etc. I like it to be over 90 degrees before I get into the water! (born n raised in Phoenix, AZ!) :) Would late August be too close to Sept, and be cooling off too much by then? TIA!

Hands down August is the best for the beach but the attractions will have much larger crowds than May.

Here are the websites for:
Sea World: http://4adventure.com/SWC/default.aspx
San Diego Zoo: http://www.sandiegozoo.com/
Coronado and Mission Beach where best swimming areas are located:
http://www.coronadovisitorcenter.com/
http://a-zsandiegobeaches.com/missionbeach.htm

:surfweb:

May can be iffy. I love May here as I dislike HOT weather and the constant sun beating down on my Irish-toned skin wears me down in August...just not enough sunscreen in the world for me. Oh, I also prefer May since not nearly so many tourists are clogging the zoo, beaches etc. As a native, we just don't "do" tourist destinations in the summer!!
But,that said, August would be likely a better choice if you want good weather. It can be hot hot hot....but May can be grey and coolish, (okay, so I am a weather whimp). May can also be gorgeous, but August will without exception Sunny and Hot.
So, c'mon down and join the other tourists!! You'll have fun!!

Anytime is great for San Diego! You have to wear lots of sun block any time of the year that you go to Sea World or the beach. We are planning on going in June but it is going to be a tough trip. Anyway we are looking forward to it. Enjoy

We've gone at various times of the year. August has better beach weather, but is more crowded.

Woody

May can be iffy. I love May here as I dislike HOT weather and the constant sun beating down on my Irish-toned skin wears me down in August...just not enough sunscreen in the world for me. Oh, I also prefer May since not nearly so many tourists are clogging the zoo, beaches etc. As a native, we just don't "do" tourist destinations in the summer!!
But,that said, August would be likely a better choice if you want good weather. It can be hot hot hot....but May can be grey and coolish, (okay, so I am a weather whimp). May can also be gorgeous, but August will without exception Sunny and Hot.
So, c'mon down and join the other tourists!! You'll have fun!!

Also a native Arizonan here:wave2: Now living in paradise (san Diego):beach:
I completely agree with the post above. I personally can't stand any heat and would prefer May because it's less crowded. Last year we had a heat wave and August was just unbearable for me with a temp of about 95 degrees. Pretty much it depends on what you like least. May is less crowded and possibly overcast, while August is crowded and much warmer. Whatever you choose to do, have a good time!

We even did some tent camping!! The weather was great, the attractions were not busy and we loved it.

Have a great time.

Thank you all SO much! I *still* don't know which month to choose. :rotfl: But I've got a lot more ideas to consider now, lol.

last summer july was MISERABLE. . .

to the other fellow sandoggies, did it feel like may gray to you this weekend????

Yesterday turned out to be lovely.. today is a bit chilly. Doesn't keep me from wearing shorts or opening the sunroof, though :)

last summer july was MISERABLE. . .

to the other fellow sandoggies, did it feel like may gray to you this weekend????

We have been in May twice and loved it, not too hot and not crowded. I really don't want to be standing in line at the zoo in 90 degree weather with lots of other people in August.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter