Best on-site plan for 10 people, 1 night

SuperJ

Not born, but mostly raised in Disney
We are planning a DCL cruise in 2025. We’ve debated options on getting to the port and decided to suck up the extra cost of dcl transport for several reasons. To that end, we are trying to plan ahead for the best way to stay onsite. Our group consists of 8 adults (two with accessibility needs) and 2 kids (9, 18 mos at time of travel). Adults are 3 couples, two single adults. Normally, when we stay we have 2, 2 bedroom units as Sheraton Vistana (parents are longtime owners there) but we have stayed onsite before, though mostly as kids in the 90s (our family favorites were YC and cabins at FW). We’d be arriving at different times the day before and coming from the airport via Uber/car service most likely. We’re trying to plan now so, if we choose to try and rent points, we can put in a request before the 11 month booking window opens. Given our needs for accessibility and space, we are thinking our options are 3 rooms at a moderate resort (we don’t think the full size beds and small room size at the values would work) or trying to rent points for a grand villa at one of the timeshare resorts. It seems like costs of 3 moderate rooms vs a 3 bed dcl villa can be close for 1 night, but there isn’t a ton of places to find pricing on the 3 bed villa options.

Things we’re looking for:

- nice to have is no adults on a couch bed. None of the adults want to sleep on a couch and so we need at least 4 real beds (ideally 5), plus a bed for the 9 year old and probably a pack and play for the little one. A pull down/murphy bed is probably ok for adults and someone could suck it up and deal for a couch for a night if we have to. But we’d be curious if some of couches or pull-down room options are better/more comfortable than others.

- must have first floor/elevator access and accessible bath for at least one room/bathroom. Since it’s just one night, we don’t necessarily need an accessible shower, but we would need a bathroom big enough to accommodate a walker and a toilet with grab bars. We’d be pushing the person in a wheelchair for longer distances, such as to/from room but they use a walker while in the room.

- need luggage assistance. Ideally, we’d like to stay somewhere with bell services to the room, but we could make do with a cart if we don’t have to go far. I don’t think values have that? I was unsure on moderates. We are normally do our own luggage people but between the wheelchair grandparent and the two kids, we think it’s too much to tackle without help this time.

- close proximity to drop off/pick up spot, pool and food. We know some walks to rooms can be far, especially at moderates and we have heard AKL) and we are worried about that since we have both the wheelchair member and another adult who can’t walk long distances or handle stairs. Since it’s just one night, we will just be eating at the resort and maybe visiting the pool if time and weather allow so we want to be close to things.

We’re worried about the possibility of a long walk at a moderate and couldn’t figure out if we’d have to take on moving all our luggage too. But we know the dvc rooms and resorts could have the same problems with a long walk.

I’ve tried looking at videos online but for the villas some videos seem several years old and there isn’t always a good look at the bathrooms. The bigger issue is I can’t figure out elevator access (I read okw may not have it depending on location?) nor can I tell how far we may need to walk from car drop-off to the rooms - that one’s a big one and I know some hallways are long. It’s less of an issue if the resort has bell services that will bring bags to the room. I know, for example, the cheapest villas are at okw and ssr but they have many buildings and I don’t know where the 3 bed villas are.

So, with that insanely long list of requirements, does anyone have any experience or insights to offer? Possibly other options we haven’t considered?

Any recommendations as to which resorts and/or room types or resorts may be best? It looks like our options for a 3 bed are AKL, WL, OKW, SSR, OKW, GF, or Riviera (though the last two seem much more $$). Am I missing any other choices?

What about renting DVC from Davids - might be cheaper for 1 night than paying full price for a 3 bedroom at a deluxe DVC

The Value resorts all have 2 queen beds now, except for the AOA Family Suites, which have a Queen and 2 doubles.
Thanks! We’ll look closer at values. My brother stayed at an all stars in the 90s on his band trip and said it was small and were aware of the noise issues if we overlap with band or cheer time so that made us nervous. I have only stayed recently in the AoA Mermaid rooms once and hated both the room size and location. Our worry with the values is the distance and we couldn’t tell if they offered assistance with getting bags to/from the room.
What about renting DVC from Davids - might be cheaper for 1 night than paying full price for a 3 bedroom at a deluxe DVC
Yes renting points is the plan if we go the 3 bedroom villa route.

You should plan on booking separate rooms. Have each family responsible for booking their own rooms.

You're looking at anywhere from 82 points to 227 points for just one night, at a rate of $25-30/point for the 3-bedroom villa.

My insight is to stay at the airport hotel and take Disney transportation (or any cruise transportation) from the airport, which will depend on what time you all intend to arrive the night prior to the cruise.

You should plan on booking separate rooms. Have each family responsible for booking their own rooms.

You're looking at anywhere from 82 points to 227 points for just one night, at a rate of $25-30/point for the 3-bedroom villa.

My insight is to stay at the airport hotel and take Disney transportation (or any cruise transportation) from the airport, which will depend on what time you all intend to arrive the night prior to the cruise.
As much as I understand the desire to stay on-site I think this is the best idea that will be suitable for everyone involved.

As much as I understand the desire to stay on-site I think this is the best idea that will be suitable for everyone involved.
Thanks. We were considering that first but had heard horror stories about the boarding process at the airport - mobs of people waiting, long lines for buses, still have to book your own PAT. Our thinking of staying onsite rather than the airport hotel was to have a smaller, less chaotic boarding process and to ensure having an early arrival and early PAT before the port and ship gets too crazy. We’re aware we’re a large complicated group so we were thinking the way to guarantee ourselves the earliest possible arrival would be best.

Thanks. We were considering that first but had heard horror stories about the boarding process at the airport - mobs of people waiting, long lines for buses, still have to book your own PAT. Our thinking of staying onsite rather than the airport hotel was to have a smaller, less chaotic boarding process and to ensure having an early arrival and early PAT before the port and ship gets too crazy. We’re aware we’re a large complicated group so we were thinking the way to guarantee ourselves the earliest possible arrival would be best.
Ask on the DCL forum here - I think the bus process for people staying at the Hyatt is different and involves a separate set of buses from that for people arriving by plane or other means and catching the DCL bus that day. There might also be a difference based on whether you book the Hyatt through DCL or directly with Hyatt. https://www.disboards.com/forums/disney-cruise-line-forum.9/

We were considering that first but had heard horror stories about the boarding process at the airport - mobs of people waiting, long lines for buses, still have to book your own PAT.
This can be true from MCO direct, not the Hyatt. There is a separate pick-up for those staying at the Hyatt.

There might also be a difference based on whether you book the Hyatt through DCL or directly with Hyatt.

Above is correct. There are DCL Transfers directly from the lobby at MCO Hyatt -- either book the hotel through DCL or make sure DCL has your hotel reservation details to be on the list for the bus from the Hyatt.

(we don’t think the full size beds and small room size at the values would work)
Value resorts now have queen size beds... though you are correct that the room size is smaller. If you plan to hang out in the room most of that day, maybe a large room is preferrable. Otherwise for us room size doesn't make much difference for 1 night of sleep before cruising. Most of DCL staterooms are smaller than a value resort room.

Value resorts now have queen size beds... though you are correct that the room size is smaller. If you plan to hang out in the room most of that day, maybe a large room is preferrable. Otherwise for us room size doesn't make much difference for 1 night of sleep before cruising. Most of DCL staterooms are smaller than a value resort room.
The size is important because of the mobility needs. We have an accessible stateroom booked for that same reason and the walk-in shower need. Based on the responses we will likely stay at the airport Hyatt. Thanks everyone for the input!

Since it is only an overnight stay and likely not doing any Disney parks, I think the logistics would work best if staying at the airport and you save the cost of ground transportation from MCO to Disney. Each family (or set of adults) should book their own reservations since it sounds like everyone is arriving at different times and perhaps from different cities.

I have no idea how transportation works for those going on a Disney cruise, but I would imagine that have things fairly well organized (both Hyatt and Disney). I would never decide to not do something as a result of negative comments from random people you happen to find online. You have no idea if those people are credible. They might be someone who likes to complain about everything or try to make their experience seem far worse than prior comments as though it is some kind of game to see who had the worst experience.................LOL. Online it seems like people on review websites are far more likely to post a complaint then report their positive experience.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter