• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best practices for trip with a newborn

You've gotten some great tips from others and here is what I've found helpful when traveling with my daughter as a baby:

She was a preemie and had a few minor respiratory issues in the beginning, but we were careful about washing our hands, taking keeping her pacifiers sanitized, etc.

I believe it was Medela that made microwave steam cleaner bags for cleaning breast pump parts, pacifiers, bottles, etc. Those were a lifesaver when we traveled.

Ziploc bags to stash dirty clothes...trust me, diaper blowouts are no joke.

I also made sure to have on hand a pain reliever for her and dosage. Until aged 6 she always got a fever and an earache during our travels.

As a pediatrician I second the flu comments - you can get the first set of vaccinations as early as 6 weeks after birth and have them still "count", so if you can, get in to your pediatrician right at 6 weeks for the first set to provide as much protection as possible. But they can't get the flu vaccine until 6 months. I have friends who work at some of the major children's hospitals in Orlando and each and every one of them have plenty of stories about kids on their Make-a-wish trips getting sick at the parks so be aware the whole place is a germ factory. Pretty much any cute idea I can come up with for a baby that small seems like a risk (eg getting pictures with the characters)

Keep in mind that with either a C-section or with tearing due to a rough vaginal birth (something no one ever tells you about), you yourself may consider walking around the parks the absolute last thing you want to do. My wife had issues after a forceps delivery and would have been absolutely miserable even just going down Main Street to the Hub at 7 weeks.

Agree with the bags for blowouts - we actually like taking the rolls of plastic bags for picking up after the dog. The roll is smaller to fit in the diaper bag than a box of ziplocs

Do not share a room with your father and sister. You need your own room because babies wake up a lot and easily. Take a stroller that fully reclines - you don’t want a baby strapped in a car seat all day. Dress the baby in layers and use the baby changing stations. Take whatever the baby sleeps in at home and use that. I highly recommend using white noise at home and while traveling - Ilike the Rohm portable sound machine. Use a backpack diaper bag so your hands are free. Other than that all I can say is good luck - you may have an easy birth and an easy baby or you may be a hot mess still recovering from childbirth and a colicky, refluxy baby. There’s only so much planning you can do at this point. Also, it’s fine to plan on baby wearing but some babies like it and some don’t - again, no way to tell.

OP, there is no way to know how you’ll feel at 7 weeks after birth. With my first, I felt great at that point and traveled with the baby(not to Disney). After I had my second I was still a mess two months out. But I think it was due to chasing a 3 year old and trying to keep life moving as normal.

How do you think your dad and sister will handle it? They need to understand that the pace will have to be determined by how you feel, or they need to be okay with you going back to the hotel if necessary. I traveled with my dad when my first was about that age and he was great. He even did middle of the night wake ups for me! (Breastfeeding did not work out, so we were doing formula). That was amazing and the best gift I could have been given at that point, lol. I just wouldn’t want to be more stressed out by family who are not understanding about your needs/limitations as a new mom.

Thanks everyone for the tips so far. I do want to add that with my sister's disability, we are very used to taking things slow and coming back to the room frequently, so lots of breaks and less ride time is really not an issue for us. We're DVC members and frequent visitors so we don't tend to feel pressure to get through the "must dos" on this or really any trip we've done. My father is excited just to be able to meet his granddaughter and my sister adores babies, so I'm sure they will both be willing to do whatever it takes to assist and to accommodate me and my daughter as necessary.

As I said I do live locally, but a good 30-60 minutes away depending on traffic and a second hotel room just isn't in the cards financially. Since my father and sister are used to waking frequently at night due to my sister's illness anyway, and since I would prefer to not drive to property every single day, for now I plan to sleep in the room but it's great to have that flexibility in case I change my mind. I'm aware that I have no idea how I'll end up feeling or what I'll be comfortable with at that stage, but for now I'd like to keep an open mind, hope for the best, and plan for the worst.

It's interesting to me that there are replies in this thread that encompass both sides of the spectrum: that newborns are very easy to bring to Disney, and that they're very hard. I think all in all, it solidifies the point that every newborn is different, and truly there's no universally "perfect" time to take a child to Disney. I appreciate hearing the experiences of those who have taken their little ones around the same age, and while I know my experience may be worse or better than any other individual's experience, it helps to know that it has been done, and people have survived it. And if it turns out to suck, or not to happen at all, the great thing about being able to go so often is there's always next time!

I came off bedrest less than a week before we left and while my stamina was a little down from the bedrest having been active throughout my pregnancy meant I was still ok in the parks. I really enjoyed going with baby and would have loved for it to work out again to take number 2 at that age.

Lot's of good advice in this thread, and it sounds like you have a very reasonable perspective going in. I think you'll be fine!

One tip I didn't see mentioned is that different baby carriers put weight on different parts of your body. For a long day, I like to bring to different types of carriers so I can switch it up, especially if one starts rubbing uncomfortably or something. It's the same idea as changing into a different pair of shoes after one pair gives you a blister. I personally switch between an Ergo and a Tula. Or you can trade off babywearing duties with someone else in your group to give yourself a break.

A portable fan and baby powder can also help to keep you both comfortable since baby wearing can get very hot. Good luck, and have fun!

Some great advice on here, and I agree with what others have said that it sounds like you are able and willing to take it slow without an agenda, which will help! We didn't bring our twins to Disney until they were one, but we got out of the house A LOT when they were little little and a few things helped:
This baby carrier was AMAZING: it's light, and the structure kept the kids in a position that really prevented people from getting in their space. (This brand makes a double version that I wore daily... my kids who are almost three will still fall asleep in a carrier!) My mother works as a respiratory therapist and her biggest advice was consistently to ensure that we provided space from others and reduced the opportunity for touching. This carrier did just that; and I would think the material would be fairly comfortable in Florida. At seven weeks, even with two, they were basically only ever in a carrier or held; I didn't use the strollers much until they were a bit older.
https://weego.com/products/weego-original
I think the thought of relaxing at a Disney resort, snuggling a new miracle, with family sounds lovely.

One other thing I just thought of; there is so much STUFF involved with newborns (bottles, blankets, diapers, wipes, 800 change of outfits...) that I'd make sure someone is willing to help you with lugging that around. I know that sounds silly, but I always had that conversation before venturing out. My baby snuggler was identified and baby gear sherpa was identified. It reduced, again, opportunities for discussion and non-family members to sneak a snuggle while we sorted out who was doing what.

I did Disneyland in a similar situation as yours. I lived in San Diego at the time, so 90 minutes away. Baby number 3 was about 11 weeks. Husband wasn't with. I was with a close family friend, her teenagers and my two older kids who are teenagers. I will admit it wasn't my favorite Disney trip but we survived. I was promised a lot of help but in reality the friends who were visiting from Seattle were just in a different place about touring than I was mentally and physically with a very young baby. Plus when you are nursing, there is only so much help you can get. If my husband had been with I know it would have been a much better trip to have another person that was solely focused on the baby. So my advise is to take your husband for as much of the trip as you can, big Disney fan or not.
The second thing is regarding nursing, I didn't end up using a cover that trip because it just made it way too complicated. Not being able to see while getting a young baby latched is a pia. I found I could be discreet with light weight button down or t-shirt, with a hoodie to block the side, using the stroller to visually give me some privacy on a park bench or chair. I haven't nursed any of my babies at DW but at DL it seems like the most comfortable benches for nursing outside the baby care center are pirates and the train. I would also bring, nipple cream, disposable breast pads, and the reusable heating pads for clogged milk ducts. Not something you can purchase at the parks if you need it.

I think if you have a natural delivery you should be fine-ish...but I'm not sure how much energy you'll actually have.

I had a C section, so I could never tell what was new mom drained versus recovering from having a human removed surgically drained. I think by 7 weeks I could only handle walking the half mile around my block once a day.
I've had both an emergency c-section and a VBAC - the recovery from the c-section was MUCH worse!

We brought my daughter to Disney when she was 8 weeks old and it was fabulous! She's almost 9 now and she loves hearing the stories of her first trip. :) Yes, I was sleep deprived but I feel like I run on Disney adrenaline anyway on those trips lol.

I bought a super lightweight wrap because baby wearing gets pretty hot walking around the parks! We also had a stroller so we could take a break if needed from baby wearing. I found the whole experience pretty easy, I nursed her on pretty much every air conditioned ride I could find. I've taken babies/toddlers at almost every stage and newborn was probably easiest for me but I think your perspective about the whole experience plays a big part in it.

IMG_2471.jpg

Around 6/7 weeks babies go through a growth spurt meaning that a baby, who was already eating every 2 hours or so, will start eating even more often. It will seem to you that sitting and breastfeeding is all you do in life, together with changing nappies of course! At 7 weeks you will still be trying to establish breastfeeding especially with the growth spurt going on.... But probably the biggest issue that I would have with bringing a 7 weeks old in the parks in February is the Flu. February is the peak of flu season and flu on a new born can certainly be deadly. It would also only have just done his/hers vaccinations which will take at least 3 weeks to make some sort of effect on his immune system, but even then 1 dose wouldn't be enough to cover the baby from whopping cough for example.
I would save my money and post pone it.

in addition to flu, I’d be concerned about RSV. Seems to be running rampant where I live currently. My now 9 year old nephew had it at 4 months old and was pretty sick. Disney is a germ factory and I’d be really nervous taking a baby that young.

Last edited:
in addition to flu, I’d be concerned about RSV. Seems to be running rampant where I live currently. My now 9 year old nephew had it at 4 mo the old and was pretty sick. Disney is a germ factory and I’d be really nervous taking a baby that young.
i agree I would be worried about RSV almost more than the flu. most do not hear as much about RSV

Hi everyone. My husband and I are expecting our first child within the next two weeks, and she will be about seven weeks old at her first Disney trip at the end of February/beginning of March. We had this trip planned before I got pregnant and decided to keep it for a few reasons. I know that every infant is different and we can’t prepare for everything but I would love to know tips from people who have traveled with a newborn. A few points to note to give you context specific to our trip and family:
  • I am an Orlando local, but this trip will be with my father and sister who are traveling from New York. So they will definitely stay on property and I would like to as well to avoid driving every day, unless there arises a reason not to such as if she is sick.
  • We’ll be staying at the Polynesian Village in a studio villa. Our reservation is for six nights.
  • My husband isn’t into Disney and doesn’t plan to come except for maybe a day or two. This is mostly a trip for my family plus baby lol
  • I plan to babywear as much as possible but we will have a stroller as well
  • We have a 4Moms BreezeGo Pack n Play at home but I’m unsure if it’s better than the Pack n Play provided in the room.
  • My sister utilizes DAS so we’ll have access to that in addition to Fastpass and baby swap
  • I plan to breastfeed and am aware of the baby care centers.
Thanks for any advice you can provide! Very excited to take my little one.
I took my 3rd to WDW at 7 weeks and it really was not bad at all. One thing I would look into is possibly buying a portable bassinet- I don't remember exactly what mine wa, but I was able to have the little bassinet on the bed next to me which just made things easier and more comfortable for her. I would also bring a box fan/white noise thing. A fan always worked great for me. I'd also def. bring a full size, with full recline stroller (I had one where I could turn the feet part up so it kinda closed into a bassinet and she could face in towards me or out. Being on the monorail will be a huge help. We stayed at CR and the only thing I really would've preferred would've been being at BLT with a dishwasher for her bottles, but if you're solely breast feeding, that won't be an issue. Have fun!

Yikes! That was my first thought. That was the age that I was still making ppl wash their hands to even touch DS & he was 7 weeks old when it was no longer flu season.
Who do you think will be touching her baby? I doubt she'll be passing her around to other guests. Honestly I think infants are easiest to take in terms of germs, because they're not touching anything but their parent. It's those darn toddlers putting their hands, mouths, faces on everything that freaks me out way more when it comes to germs. I understand that the flu can be more dangerous for infants, but unless you plan on locking yourself un your house for the first year, those germs are going to be around.

Who do you think will be touching her baby? I doubt she'll be passing her around to other guests. Honestly I think infants are easiest to take in terms of germs, because they're not touching anything but their parent. It's those darn toddlers putting their hands, mouths, faces on everything that freaks me out way more when it comes to germs. I understand that the flu can be more dangerous for infants, but unless you plan on locking yourself un your house for the first year, those germs are going to be around.
Well newborns should actually be kept away from crowded places, that being DW, your local Mall or a room full of relatives. The problem it 's not what they will or will not touch the problem is that the flu and many other diseases, which wouldn't particularly affect an adult, are airborne and can be a major danger to an infant. Let's remeber the measles cases in Disneyland. Although I agree with you, that infants are the easiest, I say this after 4 children! I don't know if I would have said this 7 weeks after my first!

Anyway I'm sure the Op will be able to make the best decision. She has probably given birth by now so, Congratulations and I hope everything went well!

Not going to a crowded theme park & locking yourself in your house are not the same. There is an in-between.

Not going to a crowded theme park & locking yourself in your house are not the same. There is an in-between.

Yes, this exactly. Disney World is soooooo germy. I mean, it just is. Very, very few people are going to cancel a multi-thousand dollar trip for sickness unless it’s really severe. My son picked up some awful respiratory illness there when he was 18 months old and ended up in the hospital overnight (fortunately, the illness started the last day of the trip, so we were home before he was really sick).

I’m a little germaphob-y, but I love Disney, so it’s a risk I take. We waited until our son was 18 months old for this reason and he still ended up really sick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter