best quick-dry athletic-type clothes for parks, preferable with a Disney design on them

Ariel620

DIS Veteran
Hi there,
I am looking for recommendations for clothes to keep us most comfortable during the summer at the theme parks. I'm looking for quick-dry athletic-type clothes for the parks, the best ones you could recommend for drying after a summer storm, water rides, or just sticky from excessive heat and humidity. If there are options with a Disney design on it, even better, but comfort is going to be the priority.

Anyone know of any that keeps you the most comfortable (shirts, shorts, socket, even underwear if you are willing to share!).

Thanks!

I'm interested in this as well. The only Disney gear I've see that is quick dry seem to be the Golf polos(I don't golf, at least not well) and they are way too expensive.

I’ve bought a few athletic skirts that are Disney inspired from Bolder Athletic wear. They have built in shorts with pockets. A little pricy but the quality is there. They are a Florida company. There are a few running companies that do Disney inspired things. RawThreads comes to mind. If you are or someone is crafty, get clearance athletic wear and put your own designs on. Or Etsy has lots of options. Just have to look at what the material is they are selling. Also rundisney will put their stuff on shop Disney and they are sometimes made out of moisture wicking material.

Those types of clothes are designed to be worn for short bursts of physical activity and then immediately washed. They're not meant to be worn in the heat all day. The fibers aren't designed for it and they trap odor.

What you're looking for is cotton. Fabric that is made from plants, not petroleum.

We ordered some athletic type shirts like this for DH for our summer trip. He liked them so much he has been working out in them since. Got them from Etsy…search “Disney dri fit” and you should find them.

Beyond that, look for moisture-wicking athletic clothing and underthings.

I wear skorts (different brands) and dri-fit tops from Under Armour. You can buy them at pretty much any sporting goods store. There are different fit types, from "fitted" to "relaxed fit". I always get relaxed fit. These shirts are very lightweight and dry quickly. I use them for my daily workouts as well.

Although someone upthread recommended cotton (and I love cotton, so soft!), I wouldn't recommend for a summer day in the parks. It usually rains in the mid afternoon, and we always get caught in the rain. The dri-fits dry very quickly, even after a strong summer storm, whereas the cotton seems to take a long time to dry. I find the Under Armour to be a little lighter than Nike, but you can also find the C9 brand at Target.

I agree with the others that stated dry fit type shirts. I have worn them on several June trips. As a woman, I like the V necks since they allow even more cooling.

I bought and wore shorts Calia by Carrie Underwood from Dick’s. I chose the 5” inseam wit zippered pockets. I wore them more than anything else, even over my suit to the pool. Very quick drying and worth the money. Link here for shorts

Base layer: Ex Officio
Shirts: REI wicking or Kuhl
Shorts: REI, NorthFace or Kuhl
Socks: Darn Tough hiking, Coolmax helps

Tested over many WDW trips and Florida living. ;)

I totally second the Bolder (formerly SparkleSkirts) skorts. Bonus is they have two huge pockets plus a narrower zip one in the waist. I have about 10 now.

Columbia and Field and Stream both make fishing shorts out of similar material to their shirts, also with side and rear pockets (are you getting my theme??). They don’t have panties built in like running shorts. Totally recommend Duluth Buck Naked undies under them and everything else. Don’t blame me if you throw away all your other underwear after you try them……..

I don’t have any good recommendations for character stuff, except occasionally Under Armor has done some superhero stuff. And Bolder has a lot of “bounding” style prints and styles so you can build a cute look. We went once in August and you’re definitely on the right track with your clothing choices. Also, take more clothes than you think you’ll need. Some days we just had to have a fresh set of clothes before dinner or something. And—TMI alert—I kept some wipes, deodorant, and powder in my bag at all times. A quick touch-up now and then made me feel a little more human!

I love Athleta shorts/skirts/skorts and Columbia. You can absolutely find dri-fit shirts/undies, etc that are specifically for odor control. My DH and boys wear them all the time. I personally order shirts that are dry-wicking and heat press my own designs on them for our disney trips.

For knitters out there, I highly recommend knitting up some shorty socks made of merino superwash wool. I play a lot of golf and keep an extra pair in my golf bag for those surprise rain showers. They dry quickly and are quite comfortable even on the hottest days. For my upcoming trip, I’m making some with little Mickey head pompoms on the back of the cuff.

For knitters out there, I highly recommend knitting up some shorty socks made of merino superwash wool. I play a lot of golf and keep an extra pair in my golf bag for those surprise rain showers. They dry quickly and are quite comfortable even on the hottest days. For my upcoming trip, I’m making some with little Mickey head pompoms on the back of the cuff.
OMG….I’ve warmed my family and friends if they ever see me attempting to knit a sock or a glove, they are to get me some help because clearly I’ve lost my mind! Mad props to you for being able to “whip up” a sock; I still can’t make a hat come out the right size! But for folks less talented, I totally concur that—as counter-intuitive as it sounds—wool socks are great for wicking. I recommend buying Smartwool brand and keeping myself out of the asylum LOL Also, please post a pic of your Mickey head pom-poms! That would be adorable! I’m sure you could sell those on etsy faster than you (or I, anyway!) could make them.

I always go with one of two options. Either under armor shorts (they are designed to dry instantly). Or if I want something that doesn't look like gym shorts, I go with Quicksilver amphibian shorts

I want to thank everyone for your comments on this thread. I had a shopping spree and bought many of your suggestions and am so happy with it all. Thanks for all your suggestions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter