Best resort for solo female

MsMoneyPenny

Mouseketeer
I'm looking to do my first solo trip end November/beginning December this year. Security is obviously my major concern but I'm also looking for somewhere convenient to a lot of dining options. I'm thinking about the Epcot resorts as I walk to the Boardwalk/Epcot for dinner - what do you think would be the most suitable resort for a solo early 30's female?
Thanks

the studios at either BCV or BWV - why - because they have a queen bed and a double sleeper sofa - that sofa is nice for a solo - makes it feel more homey....

also if you plan on doing PI at night - but I like BW a little better - then there is also SSR same setup.

I would say stay away from the moderates due to the sprawl of these resorts. I would think any of the Epcot or Monorail resorts would be good if your budget accomadates them.

I normally travel alone and I've stayed at nearly every WDW resort and have always felt safe, secure and settled. And if I ever feel 'creeped out' for whatever reason.....I have security walk me to where ever I need to go. They're really good about that....and the CM on the reservations desk always notes in my folio that I am alone (at my request) and doesn't send calls through to my telephone.....another safety feature I love!

BWI. Always people around. Very safe. No isolated places on the boardwalk. Places to go out right there. Watch the action from the safety of your balcony if that is an issue.

I am also a single female in my 30's. I go to Disney World every January by myself to run the marathon and have always stay at the Disney All Star Music. In fact, I will be leaving later this week for the Disney race again.

Although I've been to a few of the Disney resorts this will be my first time as a solo - I think I will stick with one of the Epcot resorts, maybe the Boardwalk as I've never actually stayed there before.

I've been solo and/or isolated (everyone else staying somewhere else) for my last few trips. I think you can stay anywhere as long as you are smart about your personal safety. If you are planning on being out late a lot I'd avoid resorts where you have to walk a distance to your room at 2AM...at the same time don't fall into the trap of assuming you are safe because you are in a deluxe or moderate but this shouldn't be a big deal either.

So your next question is dining options...as a solo traveler I've found that the moderates seem to have the best options for quick and healthy. The dee - luxes seem to be designed to steer you into sit down dining. I can't comment on the values because I'll be going to one of those for the first time.

Studio accomodations at VWL, BWV, BCV, SSR and OKW will give you the option of a coffee pot, fridge and microwave in your room so that you only have to eat out if you want to...and dogging bagging when you do can be a tasty way of conserving cash.

Failing that POFQ could be a good option. It isn't sprawling but you can walk over to POR for Boatwright's and for the marketplace. This is one of my favorite places to eat.

The reason I focused on places that are quick and healthy is because there are sitdown options everywhere...its the quick bite that's hard to come by.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have to be honest and say dining is one of my 'concerns', but only because I've never gone solo before and don't know if I'll feel awkward being on my own.

spiceycat said:
the studios at either BCV or BWV - why - because they have a queen bed and a double sleeper sofa - that sofa is nice for a solo - makes it feel more homey....

also if you plan on doing PI at night - but I like BW a little better - then there is also SSR same setup.

What she said. :)

I just did a solo trip and spent it at BCV, I think any of the Epcot resorts are best for the solo traveler, though I'm not female. :)

MsMoneyPenny said:
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have to be honest and say dining is one of my 'concerns', but only because I've never gone solo before and don't know if I'll feel awkward being on my own.

I didn't! I dined alone all week, either struck up conversations with people around me, or brought something to read. Did only a few sit-down restaurants because I was solo and did more on the run eating, but don't be afraid of it. I did find that the servers seemed chattier since I was alone. Or maybe it was just ME that was chattier! :)

Read a day or two of my trip report if you have reservations about going solo, I think it will get rid of them. :)

I've stayed at 6 different resorts solo, and although I never felt uncomfortable, I felt most comfortable at BCV. As far as safety, I've always asked for an upper floor room. One time I got a first floor room, tried to tell myself it was silly to worry, but I ended up going back and asking to be moved. Guess it just helps me sleep better.

I agree with the suggestion of an Epcot/Boardwalk area resort. I stayed at the Swan for the two solo nights of my trip in December. I was completely comfortable there and felt very safe. In fact, I'm staying there again for my week-long solo trip in May! Being by the Boardwalk is a great advantage because of all the restaurants. Plus, Jellyrolls is right there. It's such a fun place to go in the evening, then you have a very short walk to your resort. :D

I've taken two or three trips down to WDW by myself. I always end up staying at the All Star Music so I can save money on hotel and spend it on food and shopping (besides, I like ASMu). On one of my trips, I was going to be arriving at about 8:00 PM and knew that all of the nearest available rooms would be taken by the time I checked in. A couple of days before my trip, I called the room controller and explained that I was a woman travelling alone and checking in late, and could I please request a room relatively close to the main building for security reasons? When I did check in, the desk clerk was so suprised by my room location that she commented that I must know some important people. I don't usually make room requests, but in those circumstances it was worth it to me to not have to walk through a dark hotel complex every night.

One thing I did before my first solo trip was take myself out to dinner so that I could get a feel for the whole "table for one" thing. A lot of people suggest requesting a counter seat to feel less conspicuous at restaurants. I'm not a fan of sitting on a stool with my back to the room, though. I always request a table. Usually, it's a nice little table for two and the wait staff remove the other setting without a word. I've found that dining at slower periods usually nets me better service. The CMs are almost always friendly and take extra time to talk to me, which is nice. I've only ever had one bad dining experience at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter