Best things to do in Boston, post-cruise, to fill in the time

Shanna-like-Banana

DIS Veteran
We are taking a Boston/New England/Canada cruise at the end of October.

We got our flight times, which don't depart Logan until after 6:pm, and dis-embarkment is by 8 a.m. We are not going to pay to change our flight times.

The airline does not allow early baggage check, to drop them off ahead of time, and this particular cruise line does not offer any baggage assistance/delivery/hold service. This would all be easier if we could check the bags in early, or if the cruise line offered bag transfer.

So, we are going to need to fill a full day with something to do and somewhere to store our bags.
We looked up some bag-drop storage places, of course, I don't see any inside the airport.....

I was thinking of looking for a place to do a proper full tea, what better place than Boston to do that?
We have a two day deviation prior to the cruise to spend some time around the city, but maybe I can convince my group to go to Salem, Mass, since we have pretty much hours to fill.

I would be glad to hear any helpful recommendation on things I haven't already covered.

Unfortunately there is nowhere to store bags at Logan. The easiest area to store them would be near South Station IMO. It's close to the Cruise Port and at the end of the day you can take the Silver Line from South Station to the airport and that drops you right at your terminal. As it's setup for airport trips the Silver Line has places to store your luggage while onboard.

I can't vouch for this company but did find this and they do have a place near South Station.
https://usebounce.com/city/boston

If you have not looked into getting to/from Salem your best bet is to take the Commuter Rail from North Station. If going on weekday it's $16 R/T pp. On the weekends they have a special $10 weekend ticket for unlimited trips on the Commuter Rail.

In that situation sometimes a cruiseline excursion after you disembark can be the answer as it is set up to transport you and also hold onto your luggage until later (either at the airport or on the tour bus). Might not be the cheapest but could be easier.

PHXscuba

South station had luggage storage in the bus terminal, not sure if it still does.
Salem is a great day trip, but is a mad house in October. It can be fun if you’re prepared for the crowds and take the train. In Boston the freedom trail is a great walk with a lot of sights and small museums along it. The aquarium is also fun, and close to other sights like Faneuil hall.

Do not go to Salem at the end of October! ETA, if you can find a nice tea at a 4/5 star hotel, just give your bags to bell services (with a tip) and grab them on your way to the airport.

Keep in mind, if you're departing Logan ~6pm, you'll need to check in ~4pm. I wouldn't go up to Salem in that comparatively short time frame--even overlooking the October aspect.

Better might be a Duck Tour or the Science Museum or New England Aquarium--something fairly local (but still fun!), where you can bug out at whatever time to catch your flight. If memory serves, you can catch a Duck Boat tour right by both the Science Museum AND the Aquarium (they have 3 departure points--make sure you choose the one to suit your plans. The third is by the Pru, if you're into shopping).

Boston's a great walking-around city--you probably wouldn't have time to do the whole Freedom Trail, but you could visit some highlights, if you're interested.

check out resortpass.com. Someone on a cruise board told me about it. I didn't look at what the bag storage listed above would charge, but you may be able to get a room for a while for about the same price (for me the room would be cheaper than bag storage when I am in Vancouver).
Also, resortpass is on two of my Amex cards, so if you have one check it out. But it expires end of the month...I'm not sure when the website charges your card because it is too far out to book mine yet. But if it charges right away mine are $20 off $100

In that situation sometimes a cruiseline excursion after you disembark can be the answer as it is set up to transport you and also hold onto your luggage until later (either at the airport or on the tour bus). Might not be the cheapest but could be easier.

PHXscuba
We are holding out hope that they will add a post cruise excursion, as that would be easiest all around.
There has been nothing listed and nothing was ever offered. Still checking back on it though :)

check out resortpass.com. Someone on a cruise board told me about it. I didn't look at what the bag storage listed above would charge, but you may be able to get a room for a while for about the same price (for me the room would be cheaper than bag storage when I am in Vancouver).
Also, resortpass is on two of my Amex cards, so if you have one check it out. But it expires end of the month...I'm not sure when the website charges your card because it is too far out to book mine yet. But if it charges right away mine are $20 off $100
This is a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter