• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best tip for not getting sunburned

annie2871

Mouseketeer
I was wondering what type of sunscreen everyone use to keep from getting sunburned. I am really fair complected, so it's going to have to take something strong to keep me from getting burned.

Bullfrog spf 36 gel. Put it (or another waterproof sweatproof kind) on before you get dressed on DRY skin. Use a lot! reapply during the day. The most important thing is to make it part of your morning routine. Don't wait until you are out in the sun to apply.

Two of us who are very very fair used the bullfrog stuff at a baseball game in florida. They were giving out samples. It really works! We went out & bought more for WDW :)

I always remember the Australian slogan - SLIP, SLOP, SLAP.
SLIP on a lightweight, longsleeved shirt/blouse and lightweight long pants
SLOP on the high factor sunscreen
SLAP on a floppy hat

Prevention is better than cure!

Ann(ie) (with the fair skin who has never been tanned in her life! DH says even in the Florida sun I'm like bones - I bleach in the sun).

I'm very fair and never, ever tan. I've also not been sunburned in years.

Wear a wide-brimmed hat to protect your face. I use Coppertone Sport SPF 30 in the gel for my face, and in the spray for my body. I put it on first thing in the morning, then reapply every 2-3 hours, depending on how much I'm sweating.

Make sure you remember to protect your lips! Sunburned, chapped lips are not fun. :)

I've had skin cancer, so I'm VERY careful. A big, floppy hat, light-weight but long sleeved shirts, light-weight but long pants, and #45 sunscreen. Last year I used Johnson's Water Babies, which I had actually bought for my granddaughter to use here at the beach. It's gentle on your skin, it feels nice and cool when you put it on, and it's waterproof and sweat proof. I love it!

Beth

Ocean Potion SPF 50. Feels powdery if you put it on when you're dry. Just tried those stick sunscreens for faces SPF 45 and like those too, though they do feel heavy on your face. At least they didn't run in our eyes or make anyone break out.

Disnee Dad Says........................... I guess we are inside enough at WDW that I never burn and seldom use sun block. Hawaii is another story! I used a famous brand of lotion, stayed for a few hours by the pool, and by the evening I was starting to burn, a little pink and itching. The next day I used "Body Armor" SPF15, it comes in a single use towelette. Wiped it all over and it was true, it was body armor!! It even stopped the sunburn that was starting the day before! Problem is I don't know how you buy it, I got mine from a friend who gets them at work, so I don't know if they have OTC products.

We use Coppertone GEL spf 30 sunblock on our faces it drys fast and won't run into eyes and it doesn't sweat off!!

We used the Wal-Greens brand SPRAY spf 30 sunblock on arms and legs.

Dd 14 complained that she didn't get any color that trip!! Usually with creme sunblock she tans a little anyway. But not this trip!!

Make sure to lotion before you dress in the am. Get some help with your back, etc. Lotion your ears, if your don't wear a hat, lotion your scalp.
Don't forget the tops of your feet if you wear sandals.
We always take big bottles of suncreen, but we fill little bottles to take with us to the parks.
I've never had a problem with any lotion, but try a new one out before you go to make sure there is no reaction.

Don't forget those places that are hard for you to see -- the back of your neck, your ears (if you have short hair), the back of your knees.

I am a red-head. Never tan -- only fry. I still swim in a T-shirt during the day. I don't know why I bother picking out nice swimwear!

About 8 years ago, I had the joy of discovering I was allergic to methyloxycinnimate which is the main ingredient in most sunscreens (derivative of cinnamon). Apparently, they replaced PABA (which never bothered me) with methyloxycinnimate because PABA irritated so many folks - yeah me.

In the last couple of years, many companies including Clinique and Neutrogena have produced what they call a no irritating chemical sunscreen that uses titanium dioxide. A chemical engineer who tried to explain it so that I could understand said this is an actual pigment that totally blocks out the sun. It is thicker than other sunscreens, so be sure to rub in completely. Because it is thicker, I don't find that I miss spots as much because I can actually SEE where I missed.

I never burn now, ever. The Clinique is like $25 a bottle, but the Neutrogena at Wal-Mart, works just as well for a fraction of the cost.

Nothing ever worked consistently for me before. Glad I was allergic to that other stuff! ;)

I second the Ocean Potion. If you put it on in the morning 30 min before you go into the sun it works ALL day. they only thing you may have to reapply it to is your face. Make sure you do get a lipgloss with sunscreen. And don't forget the ears, even if you plan on having a hat on or have longer hair, it does not hurt to be protected just incase. When we go to disney I always put sunscreen on before I get dresses, and it goes all over my arms, chest legs, and face. you never know when shirt sleaves will ride up, or your collar will move over a little bit. I am also a red head who only turns lobster red.

Another redhead - I've never had a tan in my life. I think I'm missing the pigment! Gotta love redhead skin.

I echo everyone else's tips.

Apply sunscreen before leaving. I apply it as I'm getting dressed. The sun can burn right thru some lightweight clothing - so even if you are wearing cap sleeves, make sure you do your shoulders..they really get hit.

Make sure you apply sunscreen frequently throughout the day.

A hat or visor with a wide brim is a must.

I've used Banana Boat 50 and Neutrogena. I love Nivea's for my face, though I've had trouble finding it. It's a sunscreen-moisturizer. I apply it, then put foundation with spf protection on over it, then reapply the moisturizer as needed.

If you DO get burned, the minute you notice it, take Ibuprofen if you don't have any allergies to it. They've recently done some studies that the ibuprofen takes the swelling out of the tissue and helps cure a sunburn faster. I got sunburned last year on a portion of my legs responding to an emergency situation - when I was in the hospital with my son - the dr. noticed my burn and told me to take ibuprofen right away. It worked like a charm.

BULL FROG!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Best stuff ever. We went to Florida beach when DD was 1, and applied it to her, not a burn anywhere. It was a might hard to get out of her hair though. Yes we coated her head as there was not much hair and she refused to keep a hat on. Well, even with 3 - 4 washings it was still in, so I definitely know it stays on!!!!

I have never burned with it... and I burn EASY!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Originally posted by Tesabat
Another redhead - I've never had a tan in my life. I think I'm missing the pigment! Gotta love redhead skin.

I echo everyone else's tips.

While I'm not a red head I have red headed skin!! (I did have three red headed kids!) The only "tan" I get is when my freckles blend together LOL Yes, I too wear a shirt into the water and when I'm at the beach I actually COVER up with a beach towel. My dh often has said "Why do you bother buying a swim suit.....no one see's it!!" :)

Redhead, checking in...lol. O, do I burn...rarely ever...do I not..haha tricked ya. lol.

I like the NO-AD too. My dad used it when he went to Arizona (he's also fair) and complained that he didn't tan at all :) He used the spf15

I have used bullfrog on my extremely fair kids for many years. My eldest son can get a sunburn in front of a *picture* of the sun, LOL. Bullfrog is the only thing I have found that *really* lasts all day, does not get into their eyes if they are sweating or rubbing their eyes, crying, etc., and doesn't wimp out in the water.

A couple tips though: (1) It is a gel and it dries/soaks in fast. Apply to small areas at a time -- i.e. do not try to squirt a bunch on their back and spread it all around, unless you want to see the sunburned streaks where you missed later.
(2) The "childrens" formula smells much, much better than the original. No strong alcohol odor (although it does disappear quickly)
(3) Follow the directions on the bottle about briskly rubbing it in once again 5 minutes after application, it really makes a difference (actually I just noticed this isn't on my newest bottle, but it was on the previous one -- they've changed the layout of their label... anyway it does help)

About WaterBabies... EVERY time I have ever used it on one of my kids it has ended up in their eyes ... usually after they rub them after getting wet, crying, or whatever. I wont use it on their faces or lower arms/hands anymore.

April

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter