Best tips for saving money in parks

Rosie8801

Earning My Ears
I would like your best tips on saving money during your Disney vacation. We already have our room, transportation and tickets, so I'm looking for tips regarding food, souveniers, etc. We could not get the dining plan so we need to mindful of the amount spent on meals. We leave in one week and I can't wait!!

I have bought quiet a few suvineres before our trip
- light up braclets
-disney items on sale at disney store(light up twirly toys, wallets, ect.)
- lots of pirate things - for pirate party!!
I plan on filling a surprise basket for on there bed.Saved a ton compared to in the parks.

I also usually pack food - this time we will have a rental car so we will do a grocerie run. I would fill a small suitcase. I am not paying the $ they charge for waters and snacks!!!
-granolla bars
- fruit snacks
-bag of apples
-pop tarts
-Tons of water and juice boxes
-jar of peanut butter and bagels:confused3 my kids don't care for jelly

Hope this helps a little:goodvibes

Go to the Outlets if you have a rental!!!! We went our last couple hours before leaving and boy did I discover I could have saved $$ at the Character Premiers store. I had paid full price for shirts at Disney and saw them in there like half off. I know now!!

Also any Coach & Dooney & Bourke lovers go to the outlets in there. Great deals!!! Very nice outlet mall.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp?id=17

I would like your best tips on saving money during your Disney vacation. We already have our room, transportation and tickets, so I'm looking for tips regarding food, souveniers, etc. We could not get the dining plan so we need to mindful of the amount spent on meals. We leave in one week and I can't wait!!

Food--the best advice is to breakfast in your room, and bring snacks/lunch/drinks in with you. You can bring a softsided cooler with whatever you want in it. We bring sandwiches/fruit/snacks/water.

The cheapest place to buy souvenirs is off park. Pressed pennies are cheap in-park souvenirs.

Go to the Outlets if you have a rental!!!! We went our last couple hours before leaving and boy did I discover I could have saved $$ at the Character Premiers store. I had paid full price for shirts at Disney and saw them in there like half off. I know now!!

Also any Coach & Dooney & Bourke lovers go to the outlets in there. Great deals!!! Very nice outlet mall.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp?id=17

Where are these outlets? Are they near WDW? Thanks! :goodvibes

We bring a small softsided cooler and pack lunch, snacks and drinks. Rent a locker so you don't have to drag it around all day. If you park hop, be sure to keep your receipt and then present it at the next park (they won't charge you twice in the same day, but you will still give them $3 refundable key deposit).

We usually shop and have them deliver food from Garden Grocer. Even if you don't have a fridge in the room, there's tons of non-perishable items that'll get you by. Pnut butter & jelly for sandwiches, the Chix of the Sea tuna lunch (includes the tuna, crackers, etc.), pudding cups, fruit, milk in single-serve cartons that you don't have to refrigerate, etc, etc.

I always make sure to have really nice treats (good cookies, candy, etc) so we don't need to crave anything special - although we still buy ice cream and specialty treats at EPCOT!

We save a ton of time and money doing it this way with b-fast and lunch. Sometimes we even eat dinner in the room. We splurge and have nice dinners at least a few times while were there tho!

Agree with those who say breakfast in the room--saves money and precious a.m. time.

Bring your own water--tastes better, anyway, and the drink prices are outrageous.

Bring your own snacks--you'll feel better & can eat healthier for less. We eat granola bars, boxes or raisins, fruit roll-ups, apples.

Agree with the soft-sided cooler & locker strategy. You've received lots of suggestions here that are worthwhile. Garden Grocers is a good suggestion.

To eat on-world at reasonable prices, I suggest checking out Downtown Disney for a meal. I like the food at Earl of Sandwhich when I'm trying to save money: http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_eofs.htm

Also, if I feel a need to eat a sit-down meal at Disney and yet save $, I'll eat lunch at the parks and dinner off-site or at Downtown Disney.

Make your own souvineer/autograph books using plain books and Disney stickers. Sometime the materials can be found at dollar stores.

About the water... I would love to bring a package of water bottles for the trip, but I don't think I could bring something like that on the plane. We won't have a car as we're using Disney transportation. Any suggestions on water bottles without paying Disney prices every time we want water?

The pack-a-lunch idea won't work for everyone. I know many folks say they brought snacks, then didn't eat them.

I guess since my family always 'brought our own' when we were kids (I have VERY frugal parents!), it was just natural that I do it as an adult too.

Every family is different - if food is an important part of the experience, then bringing it from home would definitely 'spoil the mood'!

We're not foodies, and to me, spending too much on basic food 'spoils the mood' :thumbsup2

I will say that the price of prepared food at DW was acceptable. I didn't feel they were charging exhorbitant amounts for anything -- except alcohol.

Rosie, you can have bottled water shipped to your hotel - with Costco, Staples, Amazon, etc. Just don't 'over water' yourself - be sure to figure out how many bottles you'll use during the time you're there, and don't get more than you need. If you end up leaving extra, there goes all your savings!

They are near Disney. There are couple outlet centers actually. This one was my favorite. We had done alot of driving before we actually FINALLY found them so that messes up the exact distance from Disney. We hit them before Airport and I know they were not far from that. Here is link with address.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/directions.asp?id=17

Thank you VERY much! :goodvibes I appreciate both of your responses! Last trip we didn't really leave WDW property/roads. I have seen people mention the outlets on here, I had no idea they were that close! I can't wait to go!

Thank you VERY much! :goodvibes I appreciate both of your responses! Last trip we didn't really leave WDW property/roads. I have seen people mention the outlets on here, I had no idea they were that close! I can't wait to go!

Not a problem... It is the women in us that get excited about shopping.:woohoo:

Just checked out the water tip on Staples and Amazon just for starters and for a 24 pack, the smallest they offer, it would cost 6.99 plus approx. 7.00 for shipping. With the adverage cost of waters at WDW being around 3.00 you would save any where from 50.00 60.00. I have never heard of this tip before but will be doing this in December. Thanks for the tip!!! :love:

Thanks for doing that research, JerseyMamaBear! I'll definitely be ordering the water.

Here's another suggestion for the water that can be adapted for Disney. We hate paying airport prices for food and drink even more than we hate paying Disney prices. But because we can't take bottled water through airport security when we fly, this is our solution. We bring empty Nalgene bottles, or even just regular plastic water bottles, and fill them for free at water fountains. Then we add a little flavoring--like Crystal Light--to offset any strange taste.

So if you dislike the taste of Orlando water, as I do, this might be another viable alternative to buying your water at the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter