"Best" Use of a Counter Service Dining Plan Credit

GeorgiaHoo

DIS Veteran
Trying to figure out what restaurants provide the "best" use of a dining plan credit. In other words, pretty good food/portions (I'm not a huge counter service fan but I certainly prefer some places over others) and something that might otherwise be fairly expensive out of pocket. The first place that comes to mind is Wolfgang Puck in Marketplace -- in my opinion the best quality counter service food at all of Disney, large portions, and it is as expensive as a number of table service restaurants. We are going to try Boardwalk Bakery this coming trip - my understanding is that you can get the lobster roll, soup/salad and any dessert (is this correct?) for a counter service credit. Can anyone else think of other places that are similar "deals"? Thanks in advance.

All counter service credits are an entree and side (combo) plus a drink and dessert, so the Bakery isn't any more of a deal than anywhere else. If you're looking for size/quantity of meal, then I would recommend going through the menus. I know there are some rib/chicken combos that are easily shared between two people for example.

All counter service credits are an entree and side (combo) plus a drink and dessert, so the Bakery isn't any more of a deal than anywhere else. If you're looking for size/quantity of meal, then I would recommend going through the menus. I know there are some rib/chicken combos that are easily shared between two people for example.
I've been through the menus, thanks. I'm looking for other's opinions.

Yes, but the lobster roll is more expensive than many of the sandwiches at the other QS places. It is a decent size and worth it IMHO. Plus, the variety of desserts offered makes it worth the trip! The only caution I have about the lobster roll is that there has been a debate about it being “authentic”. So if you are from the New England area, you may have a different idea of a good lobster roll. Personally, I thought it was terrific.

Trying to figure out what restaurants provide the "best" use of a dining plan credit. In other words, pretty good food/portions (I'm not a huge counter service fan but I certainly prefer some places over others) and something that might otherwise be fairly expensive out of pocket. The first place that comes to mind is Wolfgang Puck in Marketplace -- in my opinion the best quality counter service food at all of Disney, large portions, and it is as expensive as a number of table service restaurants. We are going to try Boardwalk Bakery this coming trip - my understanding is that you can get the lobster roll, soup/salad and any dessert (is this correct?) for a counter service credit. Can anyone else think of other places that are similar "deals"? Thanks in advance.

Totally agree with you that WPE is the best CS value. I don't know that it can be beat; however, we have a couple of favourites (only gotten desserts at Boardwalk Bakery, so can't offer opinion on lobster roll).
Cosmic Ray's in MK has a chicken and rib combo which is a large portion meal (and it comes with potato/veg).
Les Halles in Epcot is nice because you can have a sandwich (brie/apple/cranberry or croque monsieur or blt) or quiche with really good dessert - some desserts are very big and filling.
BOG- the braised pork, turkey sandwich, roast beef sandwich with refillable drinks and yummy cupcakes. Of course, this place likely needs an ADR.
Sunshine Seasons - I haven't tried here yet. Not sure why? I've heard so many good things about this place - and the pictures look fantastic (variety, portions, desserts). Hopefully we will get there on our next trip.
Next year we are planning on CS meal plan, so interested to hear opinions. Plan on lots of trips to WPE:-)

I also believe at Coronado Springs there is a buffet but it is only a counter service credit. I had to call Disney last week and the rep was telling me about it

i LOVE wolfgang pucks. we go there on our morning we fly out for lunch and its ALWAYS amazing, so much food and such great QUALITY food. i think its my favorite CS but dont tell my mom that, she had to beg my dad and i to go there the first time because we thought it would be fancy food in small quantities and a snooty type place but it blew us away and i love it. my dad doesnt love it as much as mom and i do but he does really like it because he loves thin crust pizza. and the creme brulee is his favorite.
in MK my favorite is tortuga tavern, the mexican is so good and SO MUCH and the toppings are amazing!! its not always open but we go over to pesco bills and can get the taco salad there too. but we also LOVE pinocchio cillage haus. we snag a table by IASM and watch the boats and the flatbreads are SO GOOD!!
in epcot i LOVE sunshine seasons, such a variety and AMAZING food. also just discovered frances new counter service and i fell in love last year.
in animal kingdom we dont have a favorite but i cant wait to try the new harambe market im hoping it will be fabulous!! the one place i liked in AK got rid of my couscous salad i loved. i dont hate the food at all it all tastes very very good but when i am on vacation i love to try out of the box things and i havent found one yet.
in HS i love backlot express, we always eat there and i love the little gem of starring rolls, i was unaware untill last year you could get a CS there and its REALLY GOOD!! and you can get an amazing cupcake as your dessert! yummy!!

Totally agree with you that WPE is the best CS value. I don't know that it can be beat; however, we have a couple of favourites (only gotten desserts at Boardwalk Bakery, so can't offer opinion on lobster roll).
Cosmic Ray's in MK has a chicken and rib combo which is a large portion meal (and it comes with potato/veg).
Les Halles in Epcot is nice because you can have a sandwich (brie/apple/cranberry or croque monsieur or blt) or quiche with really good dessert - some desserts are very big and filling.
BOG- the braised pork, turkey sandwich, roast beef sandwich with refillable drinks and yummy cupcakes. Of course, this place likely needs an ADR.
Sunshine Seasons - I haven't tried here yet. Not sure why? I've heard so many good things about this place - and the pictures look fantastic (variety, portions, desserts). Hopefully we will get there on our next trip.
Next year we are planning on CS meal plan, so interested to hear opinions. Plan on lots of trips to WPE:-)

This. :thumbsup2
I also think Flame Tree BBQ in AK is a good deal. You can get 1/2 a chicken with sides or chicken and ribs with sides.

I also believe at Coronado Springs there is a buffet but it is only a counter service credit. I had to call Disney last week and the rep was telling me about it
Unless things have changed again, this is unfortunately yet another example of less-than-knowledgeable phone reps...the buffet at Pepper Market at Coronado Springs ended quite a while ago... :rolleyes1

Starring Rolls at Hollywood Studios was awesome with a huge sandwich, chips, a drink and a yummy choice for dessert. We went with an éclair and my husband had a Butterfinger cupcake (which shockingly he was so stuffed that he couldn't finish)

The one and only time I had the ddp (free) I was amazed how much I got from Kringalie Bakery. Huged sandwich (ham and apple gets my vote and have it toasted) or a salad as the entree, which comes with any dessert in the case, a drink and choice of fruit or regular side salad. I was stuffed! Heard the French Bakery has a similar deal.

BOG if you can get a lunch adr is a great use too as it is real TS food for a QS credit. Flame Tree was great in AKL but can't speak for it post refurb as I haven't tried the new menu.

Boardwalk Bakery is a good use in my opinion. You get a HUGE sandwich/Salad, a cup of soup, cucumber salad or chips and a full sized, delicious dessert of your choice. The kids meals are pretty great too.

Sunshine Seasons is one of the best places to use a QS dessert entitlement. The bakery counter is amazing...

I would caution that it works great if you're getting food for yourself only. If you have to get kids meals, or others in your party, it takes a lot of time to walk between stations and wait for your food. But it's a great place for variety that should satisfy everyone.

If you're paying out of pocket, I have found that some of the entrees, hold the meat, are a great deal. Like the Asian noodles with tofu is around $8, but without the tofu it was $1.99. Great!!

This is very specific, but the braised pork at BOG is a great way to really maximize a credit. It's absolutely delicious-- I've tried a good bit of both the lunch and dinner menu, and it really stands out. The lunch entree is better than the dinner, IMO; the potatoes are really good, but I didn't care for the dinner purée. If you are looking to share, it's pretty large, too. Bonus points for atmosphere:-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter