Best WDW DVC for Hot, Humid and Rainy August?

PetePanMan

DIS Veteran
Would some DVC's be better than others to help survive the heat and pm thunderstorms etc. ? Thoughts from those who have braved the summer.
Thx

worst--OKW b/c of exterior stairs--but you can park near bldg. Best, IMHO is AKV-Kidani b/c you can park underground to get to your unit. If you are not driving, then any resort with coverage from bus stop to room is fine.
LOL--where are we staying this Aug.--OKW--b/c we love it!

During a thunderstorm, Disney may shut down the Friendship Boats between DHS and EPCOT, so then your stuck taking a bus from DHS where BWV is the last stop of the 5 resorts :/. BWV also does not have "connecting" restaurants so you have to go "outside" a bit getting to a snack shop.

At BLT (and I guess GFV) sideway rain can get you wet under the walkways that connect to the main resorts. But I would still consider them.

I was thinking BLT ....the walkway is pretty covered.

And you have, QS, Waves, Chef Mickeys, and California Grill....plus shopping and arcade.:)

We have gone several times in August. I would pick Kidani but it is also my favorite resort. Love hanging out in the library and listening to the cultural programs at night or watching the animals in the day. You can eat at Kidani or take the van to AKL for other dining options, cultural programs etc. At Kidani the gym is by the pool which you have to go outside for.

this is good feedback - it gives me other things to think about. I was thinking that boardwalk locations might be good given proximity to 2 parks i.e. you can can leave parks to get back to your dvc quickly, and then come back later etc. I was also wondering about saratoga springs for proximity to shopping, bowling, theatres etc.

BTW...I assume they shut down pools during thunderstorms - is this correct?

this is good feedback - it gives me other things to think about. I was thinking that boardwalk locations might be good given proximity to 2 parks i.e. you can can leave parks to get back to your dvc quickly, and then come back later etc. I was also wondering about saratoga springs for proximity to shopping, bowling, theatres etc.

BTW...I assume they shut down pools during thunderstorms - is this correct?

Correct, pools are closed during thinderstorms...it can make for busy lobby's during that time.

I think the indoor "hotel style" resorts like BLT, AKV and VWL are better for inclement weather. We always go in August and it seems like we're either at the parks or trying to hit the resort pool whenever the afternoon storms hit. The one thing we didn't like about BWV & BCV is that they shut down the water taxi when it storms so you're stuck with either buses or walking (in the rain) to EP & HS. But I wouldn't pick my resort based on the possibility of rain tho. We just plan to go wherever we want to go - we do like the resorts with the better pools tho for summer trips. We rarely find it warm enough to worry about going to the pools on winter / off season trips.

I prefer AKV. A PP mentioned Kidani-either Jambo or Kidani have a community hall, great resort activities, the ability to sit in a lounge or library and watch the animals.

I agree about Kidani. We were staying at AKV Kidani one extremely rainy October weekend. We just got so wet at Food and Wine festival that we came back to the resort early. Loved having the community hall IN the same building as our room, loved all the cultural activities in the building, and loved that room service comes from Sanaa--so it was more interesting than the normal room service menu. We also had a savannah view that trip, so we could look out at the animals even during the rain.

PetePanMan said:
I was thinking that boardwalk locations might be good given proximity to 2 parks i.e. you can can leave parks to get back to your dvc quickly, and then come back later etc.

I wouldn't count on getting back to either BW resort " quickly" if it starts storming in either park. The advantage of those resorts are the walk or boats - neither of which will be enjoyable in the rain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Note2 using DISBoards

My thoughts on this, don't worry about getting back to your resort in the rain. Bring a poncho and keep going. Not in lightning of course, but if it is just rain many rides/attractions stay open if they are enclosed. We have had some of our best times in the rain as most people leave the parks. If you do have to go back to the resort, pick the closest one until the rain lets up. If you are at MK, visit the Poly or GF. Don't worry about the mad dash back to YOUR resort. Visit someplace else and get a bite to eat.
A resort with community hall is great to have.
Do the hidden Mickey find at Wilderness, play billiards at Saratoga, go to Disneyquest or bowling in DTD.
Many resorts will have cartoons on the tv in the lobby. That is usually good for 20 min. with my kids (when they were younger).
As for humidity/heat before or after the rain (there will be rain in August-every day) we like a good pool. Some of our best pool times have been at night-less crowded-not as hot-but still hot enough to swim. Have fun and hydrate and oh yes
BRING A PONCHO!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter