Big River Grille gone?

For what it’s worth, BRG is still up on Disney’s website and their company website still is calling this a temporary closure. But I think this is a tend we’re all going to start seeing with restaurants (and even chains) we’re familiar with at home. Quite a few have “temporality” closed but when it is safe to reopen, you’ll see a number stay closed for good. Already seen it happen with a few places I love around here. Not saying that’s what’s happened with BRG (again, both the Disney and BRG website are still up), but they certainly wouldn’t be the only ones if they never reopen.

For what it’s worth, BRG is still up on Disney’s website and their company website still is calling this a temporary closure. But I think this is a tend we’re all going to start seeing with restaurants (and even chains) we’re familiar with at home. Quite a few have “temporality” closed but when it is safe to reopen, you’ll see a number stay closed for good. Already seen it happen with a few places I love around here. Not saying that’s what’s happened with BRG (again, both the Disney and BRG website are still up), but they certainly wouldn’t be the only ones if they never reopen.
Before covid, the parent company was having financial difficulties, they had reached an agreement with their creditors and were going to stay alive. With covid and the forced closure of most if not all of their restaurants, they decided to throw in the towel and announced they are liquidating.

They had three locations here in Jacksonville. Not Big River or Gordon Bierch. I can see two of three being bought by one of local restaurant groups.

For Big River, I can see Disney approaching Patina to take over the location.

I do like the casual shore-side seafood restaurant. There really isn't anything like it in the EPCOT resort area, except for Cape May

We really have enjoyed dining there. Love trying different beers, but will admit they could improve the quality in that department. Food has always been good and prices were not sky Disney high.

I wouldn't mind seeing some replacement. Beer was good but the food was meh at best. And the tables were so close together I was afraid to cut my food in case I hit someone beside me with my elbow. Best to just get a beer and sit outside when the weather was good. It's not the worst place I've eaten nor even the worst on the Boardwalk (ESPN takes that place IMO) but there's far too many other places that are around there that are much better so it hasn't been on our list for a very long time.

I do like the casual shore-side seafood restaurant. There really isn't anything like it in the EPCOT resort area, except for Cape May

Not a bad idea, but they do already have Flying Fish. Obviously, Flying Fish is more upscale, but having two seafood-forward restaurants seems like maybe too much.

Here's where I could roll with it, though. Do any of ya'll have a Sam's Southern Eatery near you? Great casual seafood restaurant. You have options for fried or grilled, but fried is where it really shines.

But, their menu is definitely diverse....they have po boys, cheesesteaks, seafood, obviously, they have chicken wings. I think a place like that, with that diversity could be really great. Man, I am missing me some Sam's Southern Eatery right now.

The reason I chose a sub/hoagie/cheesesteak place is, I really do feel like that is a cuisine that there seems to be a gaping hole across the entire resort. You may find a cheesesteak or sub here and there at different restaurants. But, a dedicated restaurant...I just can't really think of one. The closest I can think of would be Earl of Sandwich....but those aren't really the same thing. For me, this is what I eat all the time. If I am going out to eat, 70% of the time, I go for a place that has great sub sandwiches, and it always bugs me that I can't find that when at WDW.

Not a bad idea, but they do already have Flying Fish. Obviously, Flying Fish is more upscale, but having two seafood-forward restaurants seems like maybe too much.

Here's where I could roll with it, though. Do any of ya'll have a Sam's Southern Eatery near you? Great casual seafood restaurant. You have options for fried or grilled, but fried is where it really shines.

But, their menu is definitely diverse....they have po boys, cheesesteaks, seafood, obviously, they have chicken wings. I think a place like that, with that diversity could be really great. Man, I am missing me some Sam's Southern Eatery right now.
That was what I was thinking a casual seafood leaning restaurant with options for non-seafood lovers.

Just because a company has filed bankruptcy does not mean they are closing locations. If they've filed chapter 11, they are restructuring their debts through a trustee to make more affordable payments so they can sustain their business. Closing locations may even be detrimental in some cases, because they will need the income to afford these payments.

They might look to do what they did at DL with Ballast Point:

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/downtown-disney-district/ballast-point-brewing-company/
BRG's beer was unspectacular at best. That said, I would love a place to get a crowler/growler for the room (or several)....
We loved Ballast Point at DL! I think this was put at DL because Ballast Point is based on San Diego. If BRG does close, it would be cool to see a NY/NJ based brewery open up there. WDW's answer to Ballast Point, so to speak.

Just because a company has filed bankruptcy does not mean they are closing locations. If they've filed chapter 11, they are restructuring their debts through a trustee to make more affordable payments so they can sustain their business. Closing locations may even be detrimental in some cases, because they will need the income to afford these payments.

We loved Ballast Point at DL! I think this was put at DL because Ballast Point is based on San Diego. If BRG does close, it would be cool to see a NY/NJ based brewery open up there. WDW's answer to Ballast Point, so to speak.
As I said before, that was the original plan reorganize and reopen. But with the covid outbreak they announced they will not be re-opening their restaurants.

As I said before, that was the original plan reorganize and reopen. But with the covid outbreak they announced they will not be re-opening their restaurants.
I was speaking generally - there were some assumptions that a bankruptcy filing = closure, and that's not always the case. Ample Hills, also discussed up-thread, filed bankruptcy but plan to remain open in some areas for now.

In my opinion, Boardwalk needs a legit resort QS restaurant with adequate indoor seating, mug refill, and actual hot meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
We're staying there for the first time in December (hopefully!) and I'm very excited because I've always wanted to stay at the resort, but I was a little bummed about the lack of a "normal" QS restaurant.

Yes!!! Something along the lines of Gasparilla's/Capt. Cook's/Roaring Forks with ample indoor and outdoor seating. It would be the only QS like that in the whole EP area (YC/BC do not have enough seating, IMHO, and the set-up at the BC QS is abysmal, IMHO). I think it would be a huge hit.

Yes!!! Something along the lines of Gasparilla's/Capt. Cook's/Roaring Forks with ample indoor and outdoor seating. It would be the only QS like that in the whole EP area (YC/BC do not have enough seating, IMHO, and the set-up at the BC QS is abysmal, IMHO). I think it would be a huge hit.
Agreed. I need a dedicated, all-weather place to sit down and enjoy my Mickey waffles in the morning before heading off into the parks. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter