Birkenstocks at Disney

Noreen411

DIS Veteran
Hi

I have heard that Birkenstocks are supposed to be very comfortable.
I never particularly cared for the look of them.

However, I recently saw a cute pair that actually has Minnie Mouse on it.

http://www.zappos.com/product/7174280/color/120767

How do these hold up at Disney? Are they OK if they get wet? The bottom seems almost cork like and the straps leather.

I stumbled across these accidentally when I went looking for white sandals that are comfortable.

I already bought the Merrill Siren Lyric which I can wear most days. There are a few outfits that just needed a different color.

http://www.zappos.com/product/7504181/color/3

Let me know your thoughts on the Birkis. Do you recommend them? Will they hold up at Disney with almost daily thunderstorms?

Other than walking around at Disney, let me know if you think the design is too much to wear when I"m not at Disney.

Thank you
Noreen

I have a few pairs of Birkenstocks and I absolutely love them. However, if you've never worn them and you want to get them for Disney, I suggest buying them a few weeks to a month before your trip and wear them often. They will hurt your feet at first if you're not used to wearing a heel-negative shoe with arch support. I will wear mine at Disney, but I also rotate my shoes every day or so. They can take a beating and the soles are lifetime guaranteed, so if it wears out they will replace it. I once had a pair for over 10 years, just replaced them a 1 1/2 years ago.

Hi

Thank you for the positive vote for the Birkenstocks.
I appreciate hearing from someone who has first hand experience with them.

Thank you
Noreen

I agree that Birkenstocks are not the nicest looking shoe. A couple years ago I started having problems with my large joints. So I decided that I had no choice but to get the Birks for summer. I walk a lot in my job so I always wear good shoes while there. Anyway, I went to pick out the Birks and they don't fit my foot. Mephisto's are better for me but the cost was way more than I was willing to spend. The lady in the store showed me Vikings which she said are the direct competitor of Birks in Europe. The Vikings fit me perfectly and are similar construction and price to Birks.

I used to wear Birks EVERY DAY... I even wore them to WDW!

My advice...

WEAR THEM IN FIRST. You will have painful blisters. You will feel like you are walking on bricks. But when it is all said and done, you will have "custom" sandals and you will never want to take them off.

It takes about a month of constant wearing to break them in.

I love love love them. Love them. If I am not at work, I'm wearing them (or if my boss is out ;) ). I'm even the freak that will wear them in winter.

As PP's mentioned, you gotta break 'em in, though. They have a soft foot bed, that doesn't need as long a break in time - but those Minnie ones are regular.

Can you get them wet? I think they'd prefer you didn't. ;) Unfortunately I got stuck in a DOWN POUR and they got sopping wet. They felt squishy until they dried, and I had to move the strap over a notch once they dryed - BUT they ended up fine.

I love mine.....all several pairs of them

I am wearing birks right now! I have several pair, and love them. Those are SUPER CUTE!

I agree with the others - if you've never worn them, you need to get a pair and break them in WELL. The footbed molds to the shape of your foot, and that takes a little time, and sometimes a little pain. However, I found that once I broke in that first couple pairs, I've found subsequent pairs easier to break in.

It's really recommended that the all-cork bottom ones do not get soaked. Yes, they will dry, but it takes a while, and can definitely change them (texture of bottom) and make them smell. I've worn them to the parks (I work Frankfurt style in Feb), and have found them plenty comfortable for all day. I'm just not sure I'd want mine to get soaked, and then have to walk in them for hours.

Can you do thong style? I know Fit Flops have a white.... they are quite comfy, tho they are definitely not for wide feet.

I absolutely LOVE LOVE my Birks.:love:

But like others before do not recommend you getting Birks if you do not have the time or patience to break them in properly before you go. Beside you should not get the corkbed wet. Definately a possibility in Florida. I wear Birks all the time when not working but when I am at Disney I switch to Ecco Yucatan for time at the parks or water parks. I will also have my birks to do the evening dinners, short walks around the resorts, etc. But heavy walking it is Eccos all the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter